Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
2020 Shelby GT500 Twister Orange
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s up? I’m sort of a new guy around here.

I originally joined up back in late 2016 with the hopes of scooping up a 2010-2012, but life happened and changed those plans. Fast forward up to September 2022, when I experienced every parents’ worst nightmare and I lost my 10 year old son. He was my best friend and biggest car buddy. He and I always dreamed about getting another car and I took him on several test drives throughout the years and he just loved cars. On 9/14, he and I were glued to the 7th gen unveiling and he fell in love with the Dark Horse. He and I spent the next few days drooling over the car, but then he passed on the 18th. In the wake of his death, several people sent me models of the GT500 and I took that as a sign that I needed a ‘20+ GT500 to honor my “Little Buddy”.

I ended up finding a Twister Orange 2020 base car on CarMax on the morning of 10/31. I took it as fate that I found an orange car on Halloween. Like any kid, my son loved Halloween and he was drawn to everything loud and obnoxious. I worked out the deal to get it shipped into a local store and in a long two weeks later it was here.

On 11/12, I took this bad boy home. It’s definitely a dream come true and an amazing car. Every time I fire it up, I can feel my son giggling with me.

I’ve been lurking the last few months trying to learn everything I can. You’re all great and a huge help.

Sorry for the long post!

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Sky Tire Vehicle registration plate Wheel Car

· Registered
2021 GT500 CFTP, 2022 CFTP HE
295 Posts

I originally joined up back in late 2016 with the hopes of scooping up a 2010-2012, but life happened and changed those plans. Fast forward up to September 2022, when I experienced every parents’ worst nightmare and I lost my 10 year old son. He was my best friend and biggest car buddy. He and I always dreamed about getting another car and I took him on several test drives throughout the years and he just loved cars. On 9/14, he and I were glued to the 7th gen unveiling and he fell in love with the Dark Horse. He and I spent the next few days drooling over the car, but then he passed on the 18th. In the wake of his death, several people sent me models of the GT500 and I took that as a sign that I needed a ‘20+ GT500 to honor my “Little Buddy”.

I ended up finding a Twister Orange 2020 base car on CarMax on the morning of 10/31. I took it as fate that I found an orange car on Halloween. Like any kid, my son loved Halloween and he was drawn to everything loud and obnoxious. I worked out the deal to get it shipped into a local store and in a long two weeks later it was here.

On 11/12, I took this bad boy home. It’s definitely a dream come true and an amazing car. Every time I fire it up, I can feel my son giggling with me.

I’ve been lurking the last few months trying to learn everything I can. You’re all great and a huge help.

Sorry for the long post!

View attachment 261590
View attachment 261592
View attachment 261591
That’s a great looking car! Might be a little bias.

· Registered
2009 Alloy Metallic Gt500
441 Posts
Welcome back. So sorry to hear about your boy. Life is so precious and we take it for granted more often than not. I’m sure he’s smiling down on you and in a much happier place.

· Super Moderator
8,555 Posts
Chad so sorry for your loss. Glad you are part of our Shelby family. Congrats on the new GT500, I'm sure your co-pilot is always there for every ride.

· Premium Member
2020 Twister Orange GT500, CFTP wheels, Recaros, HP, Tech pckg
2,192 Posts
Chad, I'm so sorry for your loss. Losing a child is something no one should ever have to endure. My wife and I feel your pain, and you're in our prayers.

That's a gorgeous Twister Orange Shelby. You chose well, but I may also be a little biased like @Xpro. Just imagine the smile on your son's face every time you push that start button. He's riding with you brother.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, the last few months have been pretty tough. But I know my son is with me and would definitely approve. We got a cruel reminder of how fragile life is and that you can’t take it for granted.

Now comes the fun part of modding and making it mine.

· Premium Member
2020 Twister Orange GT500, CFTP wheels, Recaros, HP, Tech pckg
2,192 Posts
Welcome to the forum! That color should be called Tennessee Orange. Hope you enjoy every ride the two of you take!! Prayers to you and yours.
Go Vols!!
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

· Registered
1,574 Posts
First & foremost my heart goes out to you for your family’s loss….my oldest started off (& kinda still is) my car buddy. Would you mind sharing his name and/or a picture? If it’s too personal to you, I completely understand.

I’m sure his inspiration is something you will feel every time you start up that Shelby. I would think he’d want you to enjoy it.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
First & foremost my heart goes out to you for your family’s loss….my oldest started off (& kinda still is) my car buddy. Would you mind sharing his name and/or a picture? If it’s too personal to you, I completely understand.

I’m sure his inspiration is something you will feel every time you start up that Shelby. I would think he’d want you to enjoy it.
Thank you, I really appreciate that. Of course, his name was Austin Michael Lobato.

The first picture was his first trip to the Rocky Mountain Mustang Roundup when he was almost a year old. I may have influenced his obsession slightly, but he loved Mustangs.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

He loved camping and being outside.
he was the best big brother in the world. He’d do anything for his little sister.
Sky Cloud Shorts Mountain Smile

Cloud Sky Mountain People in nature Happy

Footwear Sky Hand Smile Plant

He was a huge goofball and his one goal in life was to make people laugh and he succeeded every single day. For Halloween he was going to wear a hot dog costume and witch hat to be a wicked wiener.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

He was super active and loved sports. His latest passion was football. The pictures here are from the day he passed. It was his last game and last touchdown. I couldn’t be more proud of that kid!
Footwear Cloud Sky Shorts Plant

Footwear Cloud Sky Shorts Plant

Cloud Footwear Sky Plant People in nature

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I joined the USMC in Arvada in 85. Lived in Highlands Ranch and Castle Pines North 99-09. Are all those license plates off cars you owned? If so, you got me beat by a minute! I have around 60 off my own vehicles. 10 or so from CO.
Nice! I’m a Colorado native born and raised. Been in Arvada my whole life.
Haha, no they aren’t all mine. I’ve had a total of about 26 cars. The rest of the plates are from friends and family. They all know I collect the plates and give me the old plates when the get something new.

· Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
54,197 Posts

Sorry for the long post!

View attachment 261590
View attachment 261592
View attachment 261591
Welcome Chad! You have an amazing car. Every time you mash the gas pedal, think of Austin’s approving smile! Boost IS therapy! 🤟

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
AWESOME car, congrats. As with everyone, sorry for your loss.
Perhaps a prestige license plate to honor him? COPILOT?
Cheers to great memories and new ones.
Thanks, I submitted my registration a couple weeks ago, and submitted to get LILBUDY to honor him.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts