Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Ebony / Matte
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still had a bit more orange peel than I wanted, so wet sanding with 1500, 2000, 3000 Trizact, and 5000 Trizact (on Rupes LHR15 Bigfoot) here we come.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
42,897 Posts
I have wet sanded and polished most of my Mustangs. It can be challenging. Good luck!

Reactions: AZ21GT500

·
Registered
07 GT500
744 Posts
Be super careful because they paint these with robots and they don't really add a lot og clear on these cars. You are one brave guy to sand on your car. Personally I have been able to smooth a lot of my paint with a buffer and some 1500 polishing compound then go to 3000. It takes longer to do it my way but if you sand to far you cant go back but with a buffer you have more control.

·
Registered
2011 SVTPP GT500 Convertible, Silver
740 Posts
I've done it to mine, but not to this extent. Always a good idea to use a paint thickness meter (I didn't) and measure the inside door jambs then compare to the exterior panels. Interested to see how this came out...it's not for the faint of heart, that's for sure!

Reactions: AZ21GT500

·
Premium Member
2014 Ebony / Matte
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is where I am following a single pass with Meguiar's new 110 compound and a microfiber pad on the Rupes. I'm finally starting to come around on these long throw DAs. I still prefer the speed of a rotary but the ease at which you can cut through keeps me from using it on the Shelby. My wife's car is another story entirely...

Asphalt Automotive exterior Vehicle door Air travel Tints and shades
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 HP Carbonized Metallic Gray
1,888 Posts
Well that looks a whole lot better! Can’t wait to see the finished paint.

Reactions: SSGMcIlwain

·
Premium Member
2014 Ebony / Matte
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally got a chance to give her another pass. This time I used Meguiar's Ultimate Polish and a medium cut foam pad. Going to hit her with a final V38 Chemical Guys on a Black Finishing Foam Pad and then either ceramic ot Butter Wet Wax. Just depends on how much energy I have at that point.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
2014 Ebony / Matte
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Final pass before ceramic (will have to wait until this eventing.) Third pass was a Chemical Guys V38 with an ultrafine finishing pad (from Harbor Freight of all places).

That long throw DA really surprised me and damn is it unbelievably well balanced and smooth as hot butter.. Though for $450 it should be.

Steps I took: 1500 Wet, single pass 3000 Trizact (6" disc on Rupes LHR15 Bigfoot DA), single pass 5000 Trizact (6" disc on DA), Meguiar's 110 on the DA with a Chemical Guys 5.5" microfiber foam hybrid pad (black), single pass of Meg's Ultimate Polish on a medium cutting foam pad, and finally V38 on a Harbor Freight Bauer ultra fine pad.

It was fun as always!

·
Premium Member
2014 Ebony / Matte
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Final pass before ceramic (will have to wait until this eventing.) Third pass was a Chemical Guys V38 with an ultrafine finishing pad (from Harbor Freight of all places).

That long throw DA really surprised me and damn is it unbelievably well balanced and smooth as hot butter.. Though for $450 it should be.

Steps I took: 1500 Wet, single pass 3000 Trizact (6" disc on Rupes LHR15 Bigfoot DA), single pass 5000 Trizact (6" disc on DA), Meguiar's 110 on the DA with a Chemical Guys 5.5" microfiber foam hybrid pad (black), single pass of Meg's Ultimate Polish on a medium cutting foam pad, and finally V38 on a Harbor Freight Bauer ultra fine pad.

It was fun as always!

It was fun as always!
Helps if I upload pictures…
Tire Wheel Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Flooring Bumper Machine Automotive exterior Auto part

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
1,608 Posts
Did you tape off the plastic stuff and are you going to leave the stripes off? I've thought about getting into this.

·
Premium Member
2014 Ebony / Matte
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I coated the plastic with Chemical Guys VRP so it won't stain. I have vinyl to restripe her as my matte was sun damaged. As I'm sure you are aware, you can not match it (paint on vinyl). I picked up some high quality 3M matte vinyl instead. That way I can run it edge to edge and tuck it instead of coming up short like the stock ones.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts