Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new GT500 owner and am curious about waxing the stripes. Are they to be waxed along with metal portions?

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,951 Posts
I always have with no problems.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I wax mine, no worries, but it's easy to get swirl marks. I am having mine painted on this fall though.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The factory stripes have a clear coat on them that can be waxed. The coating can get swirl marks so be careful cleaning the stripes. The swirl marks can be polished out but you have to be very careful as the coating is thin.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have waxed mine with no problems!!!!!!! Your safe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
They are acrylic vinyl , have no clearcoat... and can be waxed preferably by hand. Only
problem is the white wax thats left on edge of stripe. My friend owns a body shop and vsays remove stripes within 30 days of purchase if you want no fade line with heat gun..Then paint..and clear.... OR for me buy BLACK Canauba wax...Black 09 with dk. grey stripe...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I e-mailed Meguiars with your question and how to prevent the residue at the stripe.

They recommended their M26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax as it dries clear so the dried residue at the edge is less noticeable. I haven't tried it yet but will.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Use ICE wax and you will not have any residue along the edges. Your black trim will also look great.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Use ICE wax and you will not have any residue along the edges. Your black trim will also look great.
This is what I've been doing, and for those very reasons.

I've heard that ICE doesn't last as long as some other waxes, but in the Florida heat and humidity nothing lasts longer than ~ a month. I've been waxing the car every 3 weeks at a minimum.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,951 Posts
The NXT lasted 6 months for me. I waxed in Feb, and I just waxed again this weekend. Normally I don't wait more than 3, but I wanted to see what it'll do. The water would still bead off the car, but it was not as tight, and starting to get a little harder to clean. I'm very impressed, as I work at the space center and have to park outside all day. Granted I am OCD when I wax and do clay, cleaner, polish, and then 2 coats of wax (one 24 hours after the other). I don't know if it'd hold up as well on the black, but it's the best thing I've tried yet vs. Mother's, Zymol, Zaino, Meguiar's Gold Class.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I get really bad waterspots on mine...wax doesnt seem to help :(

Anyone got a 'cleaning' solution specific to this material?

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,951 Posts
It's all about the prep Geno... To get rid of the waterspots, I would recommend taking it to a professional to have them buff it with a rotary buffer. To keep them away, use a good wax, and keep on top of it when it starts to lose its effectiveness. It also helps a lot to clean the car on a regular basis. I wash once a week usually, but if I get caught in the rain and have a chance to wipe it down before it dries, I usually will.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Believe me when I say "frequency of cleaning/waxing" is not the issue.... :)

There are NO spots on the car next to the stripes... just small, almost circular spots all over the stripes and ONLY on the hood stripes... not on the trunklid... strange...

Thanks though

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,951 Posts
AHHH...Only on the stripes is a little different. I thought you meant the whole car. I would have to say it's the heat from the engine drying it faster to make the spots. How to get rid of them off of vinyl, I have absolutely no idea. I had a couple water spots on my hood stripes that I was able to get out with the Meguiars #7 show car glaze by hand with a terry pad. It's worth a shot I guess, even though that's not its intended use, I noticed it was working and went with it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You can use clay bar on them just make sure you use the detail spray as a lubricant first.
I have claybared mine and have no issue. I have waxed over mine countless times I have used my porter cable duel action buffer on them to and no issue.Just dont be a bull and push to hard on the machine and you will be fine.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I get really bad waterspots on mine...wax doesnt seem to help :(

Anyone got a 'cleaning' solution specific to this material?
I have had some success with maguires quik wax, the spray on show wax. I'm at work and dont remember exactly the name, but it gets rid of the waterspots for me no problem. Whatever you do, DO NOT buff the stripes, that is not good for them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts