Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, recently I picked up a 2012 GT500 and have been looking at suspension upgrades for the rear of the car. I am looking at a Watts Link and possibly a Torque arm as well. I have done lots of digging on both upgrades and found that there are quite a few different designs and manufacturers offering Watt's Links and a couple offering Torque Arms. I would like to know what you think of the different Watts Link options out there eg. Fays2, Cortex, Griggs, BMR, Whiteline, Steeda, Shelby American, etc. What design do you think is best, have you noticed any increased noise from the different bushing/heim joint designs of these Watts Link set ups.

I'm leaning towards the Fays2 since it allows me to keep my finned differential cover for added cooling, and it seems to be a good value comparatively. The only thing I'm unsure about is the longevity of the Heim joints and any increased noise they might make. Cortex has a torque arm and watts link kit that looks well thought out, but it's very pricey.

As far as torque arms go, what options are out there besides Cortex and Griggs? What do you think of either one, any increased noise, if so how much? If I went with the Fays2, does anyone know if a Cortex torque arm can be installed with a factory finned GT500 diff. cover? Their website states it can't be, but I'm having a hard time seeing why not...

Any input, first hand experience and info is greatly appreciated!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
32,658 Posts
Hi all, recently I picked up a 2012 GT500 and have been looking at suspension upgrades for the rear of the car. I am looking at a Watts Link and possibly a Torque arm as well. I have done lots of digging on both upgrades and found that there are quite a few different designs and manufacturers offering Watt's Links and a couple offering Torque Arms. I would like to know what you think of the different Watts Link options out there eg. Fays2, Cortex, Griggs, BMR, Whiteline, Steeda, Shelby American, etc. What design do you think is best, have you noticed any increased noise from the different bushing/heim joint designs of these Watts Link set ups.

I'm leaning towards the Fays2 since it allows me to keep my finned differential cover for added cooling, and it seems to be a good value comparatively. The only thing I'm unsure about is the longevity of the Heim joints and any increased noise they might make. Cortex has a torque arm and watts link kit that looks well thought out, but it's very pricey.

As far as torque arms go, what options are out there besides Cortex and Griggs? What do you think of either one, any increased noise, if so how much? If I went with the Fays2, does anyone know if a Cortex torque arm can be installed with a factory finned GT500 diff. cover? Their website states it can't be, but I'm having a hard time seeing why not...

Any input, first hand experience and info is greatly appreciated!
Welcome to the forum and thanks for the pm!

I like my Fays 2 and would do it again. It’s definitely not an IRS, but it does a good job trying to tame the wild rear end in these cars. Mine added very minimal additional noise.

If you are up for introducing yourself and showing us your new 2012, you’ll find our new member area here:

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Filip's a great guy and makes great products that WIN .

·
Registered
2011 GT500, Ingot Silver
1,790 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the Shelby family.
I’ve got the Fays2 (with 7 holes for the propeller adjustments). I’ve been happy with how it makes the rear feel more planted (especially when hitting bumps while cornering) and minimal extra noise.

I’ve looked into the Cortex Torque arm and I’m not certain, but I’m pretty sure it could be used with the filled diff. cover & the Fays2.

·
Premium Member
2013 Shelby GT500 performance white
1,081 Posts
I have the BMR watts link with BMR upper and lower control arms. I am very satisfied! I don’t think I’ve heard any complaints on any of the Watts links that you have mentioned.
DD1D23E5-3FBE-47B2-8802-FECA4A86A867.jpeg
DF529FAE-4A00-4DDD-8362-5B65D4434DF3.jpeg

·
Registered
966 Posts
The reality is that few people here have driven with multiple set-ups, so everyone will usually/ likely recommend what they have because they're financially and therefore emotionally invested in that product. But that's with all mods anyway....it's rainy here, so I may be negative this morning.;)

From past research, they each have pros and cons in terms of installation methodology, noise, quality. I chose Fays2 primarily because it did not permanently mount to anything. Other people choose Griggs, IIRC specifically BECAUSE it permanently mounts to the diff cover. Unless you're looking for the last tenth on a racetrack, I think that all of them will give you an improved feel and will "tame" the read end, like Goose says; it really is a completely, more solid feel. My Fays 2 did clunk. When it was re and re'd when I changed my diff fluid, the clunk went away. Could have been an installation issue.

You will be pleased in the feel change. Good luck in your search.

·
Super Moderator
5,228 Posts
The reality is that few people here have driven with multiple set-ups, so everyone will usually/ likely recommend what they have because they're financially and therefore emotionally invested in that product. But that's with all mods anyway....it's rainy here, so I may be negative this morning.;)

From past research, they each have pros and cons in terms of installation methodology, noise, quality. I chose Fays2 primarily because it did not permanently mount to anything. Other people choose Griggs, IIRC specifically BECAUSE it permanently mounts to the diff cover. Unless you're looking for the last tenth on a racetrack, I think that all of them will give you an improved feel and will "tame" the read end, like Goose says; it really is a completely, more solid feel. My Fays 2 did clunk. When it was re and re'd when I changed my diff fluid, the clunk went away. Could have been an installation issue.

You will be pleased in the feel change. Good luck in your search.
Good advice. Not following you on this though -- help.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Oh, I think they loosened the watts link to get to the diff cover and re-tightened. To what extent, I don't know. The clunking was very occasional prior and just seemed less occasional after. I probably should have qualified my comment /observation better. It could simply have been a placebo effect. Last year, I barely drove the car 600 miles, so the opportunity to hear and focus on NVH was much less.

·
Premium Member
2012/2013 Hybrid
7,446 Posts
I have used the BMR adjustable poly bushed panhard bar and the Fays2 watts link. Aside from adjustability, the pan hard wasn't as much of an improvement as the watts link under cornering on an irregular surface. Fays uses rubber o-rings to eliminate rod end noise, but I find the o-rings don't last very long. It appears to me the rubber o-rings dry rot quickly, so I'm experimenting with some other materials and different durometer ratings. Worst case is it's a maintenance item that needs to be inspected periodically. I use the watts to control the centering of my wide tire/wheel combination. It's quiet when the o-rings are in place and not that loud when the o-rings are broken because the o-rings on the rod ends at the propeller seem to last much longer. I think it has less axle articulation related effects on that end of the links. Some watts are available with poly bushings.

I think the torque arm probably works well, but it's a bit more hard core for street use. The three link is a much simpler set-up, but probably doesn't work as well for track duty because of the changes in geometry from a short upper control arm. The way torque arms attach, I wouldn't have one on a drag car, but I have no practical experience with it either. It just looks like it would be hard on the rear axle/differential cover on a car that can launch hard. It also complicates exhaust system clearance and introduces another level of NHV.

You have to balance how much race car technology you want to put into your street car. The stock GT500 is a compromise that leans more toward ride comfort. In the end it's how you want to use your car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated.
I'm willing to accept a little more noise but an obvious clunk or rattle would drive me crazy. From the sounds of it the Fays2 is quiet when installed perfectly and when the rubber o rings are in good condition. It's definitely more budget friendly than other options.
I found a Fays2 offered by Shelby American that is a little shorter and has less adjustment than the original sized Fays2. At first I didn't understand why they would modify it to make it have FEWER adjustment slots, but upon more research there appears to be a reason for it being shorter. If you have an SVTPP car (which mine is) the sway bar seems to hit the original size Fays2 frame where it is curved down and makes install more of a pain and lifting the car on a two post would make the sway bar hit the Watts link. Now this probably wouldn't be a problem if you had/wanted to go with an aftermarket sway bar. For now I don't plan on going that route.

Based on this, I believe I'll be going with the Fays2 offered through Shelby American :)

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Thank you all for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated.
I'm willing to accept a little more noise but an obvious clunk or rattle would drive me crazy. From the sounds of it the Fays2 is quiet when installed perfectly and when the rubber o rings are in good condition. It's definitely more budget friendly than other options.
I found a Fays2 offered by Shelby American that is a little shorter and has less adjustment than the original sized Fays2. At first I didn't understand why they would modify it to make it have FEWER adjustment slots, but upon more research there appears to be a reason for it being shorter. If you have an SVTPP car (which mine is) the sway bar seems to hit the original size Fays2 frame where it is curved down and makes install more of a pain and lifting the car on a two post would make the sway bar hit the Watts link. Now this probably wouldn't be a problem if you had/wanted to go with an aftermarket sway bar. For now I don't plan on going that route.

Based on this, I believe I'll be going with the Fays2 offered through Shelby American :)

If you are going the FAYS route see if SHELBY still have the Aluminum one and save a bit of weight, it a nice looking part too.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Filip's a great guy and makes great products that WIN .

+1 on Filip and the products. It's even my avatar.

·
Registered
2007 Shelby GT500
1,010 Posts
What about whiteline?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,703 Posts

I'm very happy with my Cortex, no noise with the street version. Did you ever decide @KGShelby500 ?

I've thought about adding the torque arm, but the ground clearance scares me and as John alluded to, I don't think it's meant for launching.

·
Registered
2007 Shelby GT500
1,010 Posts

I'm very happy with my Cortex, no noise with the street version. Did you ever decide @KGShelby500 ?

View attachment 205097

I've thought about adding the torque arm, but the ground clearance scares me and as John alluded to, I don't think it's meant for launching.
I've seen those threads and Whiteline responded with product improvement some time ago. It's funny how one bad thread sticks out. Just curious if anyone else was running one. I know the cortex is real good but I am just not into putting that much money into the car anymore

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts