Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
but admin. won't let me.

What does everyone set their "SVT" shift light at???

4200 right now for me

·
Registered
658 Posts
5500 here

·
Registered
191 Posts
I turned the audible tone off. That is so annoying. It's slow to come on and stays on well after the upshift. I watch my tach and shift at 6k if I'm on it hard... which isn't very often.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think that you are trying to submit as many posts as it takes until you are not a newbie! LOL Bearman

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think you are submitting a post about anything and everything just to get NEWBIE dropped from your name, lets start a poll on that....LOL

·
Registered
547 Posts
I don't own a GT500 but I shift my 'ol FE ~6500-6700rpm on the dragstrip. That engine is still making power beyond 7k rpm though and I have shifted it at 7200 rpm before when I was searching for the best rpm for the dragstrip!

In all seriousness though, the main thing to focus on with your shifting is that you need the engine rpm's to remain in the powerband after the shift. Having not driven a GT500 I could only speculate based on my 32v 4.6 engine out of my newer Mach 1. I would really think that ~5500rpm should be a minimum. How many rpm's are dropped from gear to gear in the GT500? If you're talking about shifting for drag racing, I'm guessing you only get into 3rd gear at the end of the quarter? Shifting at or below 5k rpm would drop the engine just on the edge of the power band I would think. You really don't want the engine rpm's to drop below 5k between shifts, otherwise you're just unnecessarily lugging the engine in a drag racing setting.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'm almost sure I've set mine to flash at 6,000rpm (or is that 6,200?). I'll have to check in 3 months when it comes out of the garage and let you know. Until then, my Shelby is hibernating.

Arbour88

·
Registered
50 Posts
I prefer to be looking out the window rather than down at some gauge in an instrument panel. It seems to be a better place to be looking while banging gears at high speed.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Although it is set to flash, I don't look, I listen for the audible.

Arbour88

·
Registered
191 Posts
I prefer to be looking out the window rather than down at some gauge in an instrument panel. It seems to be a better place to be looking while banging gears at high speed.
Ok, first of all... if anyone is looking at the silly stock "shift light" if that's what they call it, then you must have great eyes (better than mine which are 20/20). It is not very bright, and it is far more difficult to pick that up than a glance at a sweeping gauge which allows you to _anticipate_ the shift. If you wait til the light is on, then you're late on the shift.

I don't _watch_ the gauge, I glance at it, knowing about where it is anyway based on pull of the engine, audible tone from the exhaust, etc. The key to going quick/fast is anticipating the upshift, IMHO.

If you're racing at the dragstrip a lot, most guys get an aftermarket shift light. It puts the stock shift indicator to shame due to accuracy and it is so bright its obnoxious (a good thing for its intended purpose).

It all depends on what you want. Shifting by feel (looking out the window, without a clue as to where you are in the rev-range) is a crap-shoot, unless you do this for a living and literally have hundreds of passes in the _same_ car under your belt, and you do it often enough to where you stay really sharp. In fact the pros use shift lights and tachs for a reason. Guess what... they look at them. Whatever the case, the only way to get max performance out of the car is to shift it just beyond peak HP (which will allow you to make the most "average HP" throughout the entire acceleration run). This is along the lines of what cobramach was discussing.

Sorry if I made it sound like I (or anyone else) stare at the tach. LOL

I guess one effective way to use the stock shift light and audible buzz is to set them just below your intended shift rpm. However, for me, with the top down and sunlight on my dash at times, seeing that shift indicator is definitely not the place I want my eyes to be... given it is down near the center of the gauge, whereas the tach needle as it approaches 6k+ is just below the dashline, making it a relative breeze to pick up easily and quickly before the next upshift.

·
Registered
662 Posts
There's a shift light?:rofl:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Shiftlight set for 6000 for me. By the time I actually make the shift, its around 6200.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Shiftlight set for 6000 for me. By the time I actually make the shift, its around 6200.

My tuner set my rev limiter to 6500, so by the time I hear the audible which goes off at the 6000 rpm mark I'm shifting at around the 6200 to 6250 range as well with no issues.

Arbour88

1 - 20 of 20 Posts