Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2008 gt500 coil over suspension, shelby intercooler with fans,
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 08 coupe. I'm looking to lower it a little but don't want a jarring ride, what springs do you recommend? thanks

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
I have the Ford M-5300L springs on my '09 and like them. It has a great look and rides much like the stock springs on small bumps however larger bumps are felt harsher than stock.
Lowering the car reduces the suspension travel so a harsher ride should be expected.
It's a pay to play thing.

·
Premium Member
2011 GT500
63 Posts
Stay away from H&R sportlines then. Had to take them off my wife's 5.0. Kidney busters.
I replaced them with Eibach Pro's and the correct bumpstops. Night and day difference.
Correct bumpstops are vital.

Reactions: OMB

·
Premium Member
2012 & 2021 GT500 strippers
9,250 Posts
Most aftermarket springs labeled "sport" springs have reasonable spring rates. Steeda and H&R are two that come to mind. Shocks and struts can also make a ride overly harsh, so chose those well.

·
Registered
2009 Alloy Metallic Gt500
232 Posts
I went with Steeda springs and Koni orange shocks and struts. Not a harsh ride but a little more firm than stock. I’m happy.

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
5,105 Posts
Stay away from H&R sportlines then. Had to take them off my wife's 5.0. Kidney busters.
I replaced them with Eibach Pro's and the correct bumpstops. Night and day difference.
Correct bumpstops are vital.
I suspect the bump stops were your problem because I'm running H&R sports with Koni orange struts, and the ride isn't harsh.

·
Registered
2014, GT500, PP & TP, Cortex suspension
224 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Shelby GT500
1,015 Posts
H&R springs

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
44,112 Posts
thanks went with ISC coil-overs, set them on the softest ride, and the ride is nice.
What year is your car?

Please click your upper right avatar/account settings/vehicle details and enter your car year. It then shows under your screen name, which helps in conversations here. We cover multiple years of the GT500 on this forum.

·
Registered
2008 GT500
88 Posts
thanks went with ISC coil-overs, set them on the softest ride, and the ride is nice.
Do you notice a big difference in handling too? Any other suspension mods? I'd like to see a picture how the car sits with them too if you have a chance.

·
Registered
07 GT500
744 Posts
Ifr you lower the car you will get stiffer springs to keep the car from hitting the road. You take 1" of travle out of the springs may not sound like much but that's a lot of spring travle you lose. As for handling the track bars need to be changed. the stamped ones on the car are junk. Wats link will solve most of the axle issues. I just don't know what Ford was thinking when they put 500 horses under the hood with GT suspension. Dumbest idea ever. We have been fighting wheel hop forever. I replaces my tires and I got rid of most of it. I can't lower my cart because I already hit my splitter going into my driveway.

·
Premium Member
Ruby Red 2014
2,720 Posts
I dropped just under 2”. I also took off the harsh riding Goodyear tires so I don’t feel the ride quality has diminished at all.

I solved the chin spoiler issue by going to a Super Snake version which has more clearance.

Also did a Watts link and Torque Arm.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Light Automotive tire Automotive design

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Grille

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
2012 & 2021 GT500 strippers
9,250 Posts
There's lowering and there's decreasing the gaps in the wheel wells. The earlier cars came with a shorter profile tire, which makes for an even lower ride height when you install lowering springs. Also coil overs allow infinite adjustment and you can set the ride height exactly where you want it. You discover your desired stance is too low for practical use, just adjust it to where you need it to be.

Biggest issue most people had was the extreme rake the cars have. This is easily remedied with a set of adjustable spring seats for the back coupled with a 2.5" i.d. 10" long coil over spring in the spring rate of your choice (150# to 200#).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts