Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
29,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Justin from VMP shared some thoughts on the 2020. He is planning on turning up the wick. Who is going to raise their hand to mod their $80k-$100k+ Shelby?

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,917 Posts
Hmmm... Wonder what Justin would think about putting a low boost supercharger on my 19 GT350? I know aftermarket companies have them for the GT350 already, but if I were to do it, it would only be done by VMP. That realization would be a real surprise for the Goose at Shelbyfest 2020!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That realization would be a real surprise for the Goose at Shelbyfest 2020!
Funny Mike! :LOL:

Just think about it... the traction/suspension/sound/brakes/IRS/tech of the wonderful GT350 now with BOOOOOOOOST! Hell yes! 🤟

Want me to holler at Justin to give you a little nudge? 😜

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ford appears to have pulled off amazing feat of being able to get traction out of a RWD high hp car. I would be concerned adding power would lose that traction. I wouldn’t touch the 20 from stock.
Normally I would agree with you Sean, but the GT350 and 2020 GT500 have some similarities and the GT500 puts 760hp to the ground with some amazing voodoo magic. It manages the power with brute grace.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,917 Posts
Ford appears to have pulled off amazing feat of being able to get traction out of a RWD high hp car. I would be concerned adding power would lose that traction. I wouldn’t touch the 20 from stock.
I agree. The 2013 was just barely manageable with 662 HP but when I did the Stage III with BJ, it overwhelmed the suspension and became dangerous at WOT. Whether Ford has built in some wiggle room in the power/traction scenario, is yet to be seen for the 2020 GT500. I think the GT350's suspension could handle (maybe) a few more horses, but beyond that, I'm skeptical. The after-market crowd will definitely try to increase the power of the GT500 and when they do, they may be selling stronger suspension parts as well. Seems like the Ford engineers did a wonderful balancing act with the GT350 and now with the new GT500. If I had a GT500, I too would leave it alone!

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
I wouldn’t modify any 350 or new 500.
Ford Performance did an amazing job on both cars. I’m blown away how badass my R is.

I tend to agree more with Jay Leno on these particular cars. The level of engineering Ford is using is beyond anything the likes of VPM has access to, sorry Justin.

I would never boost the wonderful voodoo. It’s NA long and flat power band is what makes it easy to drive fast.

Ford Performance has delivered two perfect street track day combo cars on the market below 100k imo. Any changes beyond what’s delivered will take it to race car or a snow ball money pit of one thing after another. And I think most of us have been down that path once or twice.

I’m spending this kind of money so I don’t have to mod. Just drive and enjoy an incredible Ford factory product.

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,082 Posts
It would be tricky Mike. Why do you think Ford engineers left the flat plane crank for the boosted 500? Are you starting to feel your 350 is lacking in power? Are you interested in having a car without a warranty?

I don't have the answers, but those are questions that come to my mind.

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,082 Posts
Well put Sean. Miss seeing your input around here...of course, we are just a simple RWD car crowd here. :)

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,917 Posts
It would be tricky Mike. Why do you think Ford engineers left the flat plane crank for the boosted 500? Are you starting to feel your 350 is lacking in power? Are you interested in having a car without a warranty?

I don't have the answers, but those are questions that come to my mind.
I'm just arm-chair dreaming! LOL! I do miss the torque of the GT500. I am very satisfied with the GT350's performance at this point. It does take a little more time to wind up in gears, if you're not above 4K, other than in 1st. That said, when you start out hard in first and continue through the upper gears, it stays on cam and really screams! Just love the sound of barking the tires when I shift from 3rd to 4th! The car is truly amazing, and holy cow does it ever hook up better than the GT500! Since my dealer gave me a 5 year 100K mile premium warranty, for free, due to the delays in getting the car, I'm not about to shoot that gift horse in the mouth!!

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I have to agree also, seems like Ford has done a fantastic job on both the 350 & 500.
I personally luv the looks & the sounds these cars, BUT like many on here, we just can't leave things alone, we always have that itch to tinker & play.
I guess looking at it with regards to HP, there are so many GT500 running around now days with so much power that honestly cannot be enjoyed/taken advantage off on the streets, it all a numbers game and many of us play that game.

Colin

·
Super Moderator
5,028 Posts
I'm just arm-chair dreaming! LOL! I do miss the torque of the GT500. I am very satisfied with the GT350's performance at this point. It does take a little more time to wind up in gears, if you're not above 4K, other than in 1st. That said, when you start out hard in first and continue through the upper gears, it stays on cam and really screams! Just love the sound of barking the tires when I shift from 3rd to 4th! The car is truly amazing, and holy cow does it ever hook up better than the GT500! Since my dealer gave me a 5 year 100K mile premium warranty, for free, due to the delays in getting the car, I'm not about to shoot that gift horse in the mouth!!
Mike, I want to see you hit the 100k mile mark BEFORE the 5 year mark!!! Drive the hell out of it, brother!!! (y) (y) (y) Glad you are enjoying -- you definitely earned it.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
The 11 seconds from 5:44 to 5:55 says a lot.

·
Premium Member
2,517 Posts
^^^Good point, at least Justin has acknowledged that. Everything else is the same old approach. TB, pulley, tune. As with any after market tuner, they're masters at taking a perfectly good fast factory car outside of its reliable and efficiency range to void your warranty.

These modern Shelby's don't need it. Ford created a monster from the factory with a 60k mile warranty. I would want to hang on to that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts