Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

· Registered
2020 GT500 and 2008 GT500
491 Posts
I can relate to the comments above.

I put a JLT CAI on mine and had VMP do a Dyno pull at Shebyfest, 701 rwhp.

· Registered
416 Posts
So I had been wondering which direction to go with my '20 GT500 for a while.. I kept the car stock (minus a JLT CAI and Lethal resonator delete) for a year and 3000 miles to make sure nothing came up with the car.

Given my past success with simple setups I decided on the below from VMP - it is a slightly modified version of the EO Drag Pack package they offer:

• 2.75” upper pulley (16 psi)
• 81mm VMP race intercooler
• 105mm VMP throttle body
• -16an VMP billet water manifold
• VMP billet heavy duty belt tensioner
• VMP dyno tune (93 oct)

Being that I'm only about an hour away from VMP I decided to have them do the install and tune the car on-site, which worked out great. Their facility is very impressive and the customer service was excellent throughout the process.

So the numbers.....

View attachment 224556

Needless to say I was pretty for stoked with the above for such a simple, bolt-on package.

Some notes from driving the car:
  • Drivability is excellent, smoother than stock
  • Improved throttle response
  • The VMP 81mm brick is extremely efficient with a low-boost application like this, last night the IAT2s never rose above 105F with the kind of driving I normally do (twisty roads with constant WOT rips in between) and it was quite warm out
  • Could use more tire now, but the car still hooks remarkably well for this power level. Very controllable.
  • Overall balance of the car remains unaffected as most of the power lives up top

All in all this is a fantastic, simple setup for the street and do believe it will keep me happy for a while. :cool:
And smog legal in all 50 states! Thank you for sharing.

· Registered
416 Posts
I know they spent quite a bit of time refining their base tune for my car - so I guess it's possible. I do think this being CARB certified they can't go crazy but again I'm a local Florida customer so maybe there was a bit more they could do. :)
A CARB tune is certified in an official testing laboratory and once given approval cannot be modified for any reason . If VMP wants to tinker and retune they would have to get recertified to a claim carb status once again . The OP has a tune that is not carb legal since he had the shop custom tuning for him in person, which the state of Florida allows since there are no smog laws . I would be interested to hear from anyone who has actually installed the VMP complete kit with the smog certified carb tune as far as how they like the drivability and power. The last carb legal thing I purchased was for an Edelbrock stage 2 supercharger on my 19 mustang GT and the carb tune was shit . Very poor modulation between part and full throttle .

· Registered
2020 GT500
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
A CARB tune is certified in an official testing laboratory and once given approval cannot be modified for any reason . If VMP wants to tinker and retune they would have to get recertified to a claim carb status once again . The OP has a tune that is not carb legal since he had the shop custom tuning for him in person, which the state of Florida allows since there are no smog laws . I would be interested to hear from anyone who has actually installed the VMP complete kit with the smog certified carb tune as far as how they like the drivability and power. The last carb legal thing I purchased was for an Edelbrock stage 2 supercharger on my 19 mustang GT and the carb tune was shit . Very poor modulation between part and full throttle .
I doubt the drivability on the CARB tune would be any different than mine. As mentioned earlier, the custom tune my car received is probably just running a little more timing. In addition I did confirm they raised both the engine and trans RPM limiters to 8k.

The only other difference would be the lack of a CAI (as they're not CARB approved) but that shouldn't have much impact on drivability either.

· Registered
2020 GT500
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I didn’t realize they were in FL and only 6.5 hours from me. So it’s a tossup, do I go to VMP or PBD for my upgrades? 1st world problems 🤣
Yep can't really go wrong with either one. Florida is definitely a great state for GT500 owners.

· Registered
2020 GT500
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So if I buy this kit from vmp's website does it come with a tuning device and a custom tune?
It comes with the CARB certified tune loaded onto the RTD+ device. I would check with VMP on specifics as mine was tuned on their dyno so technically not a CARB legal setup.

· Registered
2021 GT 500 Twister Orange with black stripes
356 Posts
Hey , would you be willing to have a quick chat on the phone ? I wanted to discuss the vmp tune . Thanks

· Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
53,943 Posts
Hey , would you be willing to have a quick chat on the phone ? I wanted to discuss the vmp tune . Thanks
Click his screen name and depending on your device, either “start conversation” or “message.”

Reactions: SnakeCollector

· Registered
2021 GT 500 Twister Orange with black stripes
356 Posts
Click his screen name and depending on your device, either “start conversation” or “message.”
Thanks , I know how to do it. I thought I sent I’m a dm, didn’t realize I replied to the thread. /)

Reactions: Goose17

· Registered
2021 shelby gt500
175 Posts
Amazing numbers, Congrats!
I just noticed the post is from last year, so good to ask how is it so far? 😁

And I was wondering why TQ is little far from the HP. Not specifically for this setup but I noticed that the TQ in the new shelby is little low compared to the HP!

21 - 40 of 52 Posts