Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GT500
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I had been wondering which direction to go with my '20 GT500 for a while.. I kept the car stock (minus a JLT CAI and Lethal resonator delete) for a year and 3000 miles to make sure nothing came up with the car.

Given my past success with simple setups I decided on the below from VMP - it is a slightly modified version of the EO Drag Pack package they offer:

• 2.75” upper pulley (16 psi)
• 81mm VMP race intercooler
• 105mm VMP throttle body
• -16an VMP billet water manifold
• VMP billet heavy duty belt tensioner
• VMP dyno tune (93 oct)

Being that I'm only about an hour away from VMP I decided to have them do the install and tune the car on-site, which worked out great. Their facility is very impressive and the customer service was excellent throughout the process.

So the numbers.....

Rectangle Slope Plot Parallel Font

Needless to say I was pretty for stoked with the above for such a simple, bolt-on package.

Some notes from driving the car:
  • Drivability is excellent, smoother than stock
  • Improved throttle response
  • The VMP 81mm brick is extremely efficient with a low-boost application like this, last night the IAT2s never rose above 105F with the kind of driving I normally do (twisty roads with constant WOT rips in between) and it was quite warm out
  • Could use more tire now, but the car still hooks remarkably well for this power level. Very controllable.
  • Overall balance of the car remains unaffected as most of the power lives up top

All in all this is a fantastic, simple setup for the street and do believe it will keep me happy for a while. :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500, SGM, " 1 of 1 "
5,793 Posts
Did you baseline the car ?
Congrats on the upgrades.
Tuned on the street or on the rollers ??

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
42,729 Posts
Fantastic Ron! Congrats on the newfound power and thanks for sharing it with us! 🤟

Reactions: SnakeCollector

·
Registered
2020 GT500
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you baseline the car ?
Congrats on the upgrades.
Tuned on the street or on the rollers ??
Thanks! According to the tuner a stock 2020+ GT500 makes around 660-670 rwhp on this dyno. Mine would have been a little higher with the JLT. The car was tuned on the dyno. Drivability is shockingly good.. Just like stock, only smoother. Very impressed.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Thanks! According to the tuner a stock 2020+ GT500 makes around 660-670 rwhp on this dyno. Mine would have been a little higher with the JLT. The car was tuned on the dyno. Drivability is shockingly good.. Just like stock, only smoother. Very impressed.
You got a better tune because, " Being that I'm only about an hour away from VMP I decided to have them do the install and tune the car on-site, "..

·
Registered
2011 GT500 SVT PP Race Red Glass Roof
408 Posts
Excellent write up and review of your VMP upgrades. Congrats on the new power and better drivability. While VMP has had a lot of success with the older GT500 upgrades it’s good to hear reviews on the newer GT500 also.

Reactions: SnakeCollector

·
Premium Member
2012 & 2021 GT500 strippers
8,985 Posts
You got a better tune because, " Being that I'm only about an hour away from VMP I decided to have them do the install and tune the car on-site, "..
Not likely. This being a certified tune to receive an executive order is not going to be subject to manipulation beyond what C.A.R.B. certified for the exemption.

@SnakeCollector, very impressive. Does this include porting the supercharger?

·
Registered
2020 GT500
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know they spent quite a bit of time refining their base tune for my car - so I guess it's possible. I do think this being CARB certified they can't go crazy but again I'm a local Florida customer so maybe there was a bit more they could do. :)

·
Premium Member
8,985 Posts
I'm just waiting to see if they offer a discount on the brick for black friday. I'm not in a big rush, but I'm getting one. I've been hitting sales and a few new bought and never installed parts, just because "why not". I know you have to use an adapter for the throttle body because the stock inlet is too small, but if it works that well with the adapter, I'm not sure I need to get the supercharger ported and just pick up the adapter. Do you know if the tune was written in SCT or HP Tuner software?

·
Registered
2020 GT500
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm just waiting to see if they offer a discount on the brick for black friday. I'm not in a big rush, but I'm getting one. I've been hitting sales and a few new bought and never installed parts, just because "why not". I know you have to use an adapter for the throttle body because the stock inlet is too small, but if it works that well with the adapter, I'm not sure I need to get the supercharger ported and just pick up the adapter. Do you know if the tune was written in SCT or HP Tuner software?
I think that's a good strategy since you can always get it ported later if you want, the car does drive phenomenally well with their TB mated to the stock blower inlet. The tune was in HP Tuner - it comes with the basic RTD flashing tool.

·
Premium Member
8,985 Posts
I think that's a good strategy since you can always get it ported later if you want, the car does drive phenomenally well with their TB mated to the stock blower inlet. The tune was in HP Tuner - it comes with the basic RTD flashing tool.
At 14-16 psi, I'm not sure there's much bang for the buck on a port job. I know I can open up the inlet rather easily, But, the CNC stuff is so clean, I've been struggling with a direction. But if 825 can be accomplished that easily, the adapter is looking like a strong probability.

SCT has been dragging its feet offering that data base, so I've already purchased the MPVI2 and the credits a few months back in order to tune it. They've only released the license for the 2021 recently too. I was just wondering if any of that had changed. All my experience has been with SCT's software, so it will be my first effort with HPT.

I've got a mileage goal to reach before I pull the plug on my warranty. It's been slow going because of the ridiculous amount of rainfall we encountered this year. That trend has improved since October, but I got busy then too. I just hope the rest of my black friday dreams come true and that's not far off.

I purchased a 2.70" pulley. VMP's throttle body, 1320s WD152 and besides the intercooler, I'm going to order Livernois' heat exchanger. I have a set of 1050X ID injectors, I will likely add to the mix too. Our inspections are more about blinkers and brake lights and there are no plans to ditch the cats.

I appreciate the heads up.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Not likely. This being a certified tune to receive an executive order is not going to be subject to manipulation beyond what C.A.R.B. certified for the exemption.

@SnakeCollector, very impressive. Does this include porting the supercharger?
I haven't had anything tuned since 2014, so why would a Fla. car need a CARB certified anything ??

·
Registered
2020 GT500 and 2008 GT500
461 Posts
Interesting, VMP advertises their drag pack to Dyno at 763 Rwhp. I think it would be worth it for 824 but not 763

·
Registered
2020 GT500
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting, VMP advertises their drag pack to Dyno at 763 Rwhp. I think it would be worth it for 824 but not 763
VMP obviously has to be conservative with any posted HP numbers. Their estimate also doesn't include a CAI which makes quite a big difference (30-40 wheel) on these cars. The rest of the difference is likely due to the custom dyno tune I got.

·
Premium Member
8,985 Posts
My guess is that there's more timing in his tune than the E.O. tune. I would think anything that's intended for CA has got to be compatible with 91 octane. Plus, the weather in FL is probably starting to get nicer than hot, humid summer temps with that low air charge reading. That's always worth some power too. I would think they'd want to sandbag their numbers a bit too. Customers are never happy when they dyno the car and are no where close to the advertised number.

·
Registered
2020 GT500
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My guess is that there's more timing in his tune than the E.O. tune. I would think anything that's intended for CA has got to be compatible with 91 octane. Plus, the weather in FL is probably starting to get nicer than hot, humid summer temps with that low air charge reading. That's always worth some power too. I would think they'd want to sandbag their numbers a bit too. Customers are never happy when they dyno the car and are no where close to the advertised number.
Yep, agree on all points there. It was in the mid to upper 80s when the car went on the dyno so definitely better than it has been but still decently warm.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts