Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if I can ever sell some property I have in this market I'm going snake hunting, some of you guys give me pros and cons on a vert vs a hardtop.
thks

·
Registered
202 Posts
Verts have a lot of wear issues on the top. If you're looking to increase power, the chassis is weaker than a coupe. If you like riding with the top down get the vert, but no matter which you choose, you'll love this car.:grinbiginvert:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thks Sssnake08

I do plan on some power increases as well as suspension mods so the strength issue was what i wondered about.

I have flipped back and forth between the GT500 and a Roush 427R but making a childhood dream come true in the Shelby is hard to resist

·
Registered
36 Posts
My votes for the vert! Especially if it will be a fair weather car. IMO, you can't beat top-down driving with 500+ hp! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
191 Posts
The 'verts chassis has extra bracing, and unless you are going to be putting slicks on it with 700+rwhp, there is no issue with the structural integrity of the 'vert vs. coupe.

But if you are wanting to race the car pretty hard, I would get a coupe. I wanted a convertible b/c I missed my '69 427 Vette convertible, so I got a convertible.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
The new verts have much more stuctural rigidity than the verts of the old days. But yes...there is a little bit of cowl shake etc. But its minor, and I only feel it on really bad potholes. I always go slow enough over RR tracks (due to the lowered suspension) that I never notice it. If the tracks are in good condition I never notice it when I keep my speed hitting them. Additionally, there were some recent ads for aftermarket under chassis bracing in Mustang 5.0 magazine. Theres lots of stuff available for this car.
I never thought there would be a vert that was so much fun to drive as this car, and doubt I could ever switch back to a coupe in light of that fact. As for the top issues...I back off the power switch just before it goes totally down in an attempt to eliminate that final crush that might be causing the damage so many people have been getting.
As to if horsepower mods will create a problem later on....lets hope not. But maybe some other owners have already had issues that they can share with us so that we might know what the limits of this platform.
But all in all, as was mentioned....most of us use it as a fair weather vehicle only and its a real rush to drive a beast like this with the top down and be able to smoke most anything that wants to play games at the traffic light. Cruising at 120 is too effortless and quiet. You gotta learn to watch your speedo. When was the last time you could say that about a vert? Its all a matter of preference. But thats easy to say for me because I bought it lightly used for a decent price. Buying new and paying the vert premium would possibly make me think twice if my wife were there...but I doubt it would make a difference after enjoying it so much. I'm sure the long term depreciation will make up for a big portion of that price difference further on down the road. Approx. 1/3 of the GT500 cars made are verts. They should hold their value pretty good with less than 2500 being made per year. The new Camaros have only been out since March and they have already made 43,000 of them....thats gonna be a big depreciation hit for the guys that paid over sticker.
The guys on this forum will find you a car for the right price if your local dealer does'nt want to deal. You will love the car in either version!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Detroitboy -- good idea on backing off the top down switch.
I love my vert -- top down with those Borla's roaring -- what a blast

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I absolutely love my Vert, and I'm glad I decided to go for it when I ordered it in February. I never owned one before (vert) but cant even think of going back now. I just changed out my intake to a JLT Carbon Fiber unit so I could fit the Strut Tower Brace in there for a little extra rigidity.

Topless is AWESOME!!! :rocker:

·
Registered
639 Posts
My second vert, I could never go back. My GT500 is not my daily driver though.

If you want to go to the track though you will want a coupe (or a 6 point roll bar installed), in order to run if you are running under 12.6 (I beleive).

The vert is a bit heavier.

But if you live in good climate....Vert is the way to go..IMO

·
Registered
43 Posts
Has anyone ever installed one of those styling roll bar on their vert ?? If yes, have you noticed a differences in body rigidity ?? Just got my new 08 GT500 as a replacement of 04 GT vert and I'm really impressed with car stiffness but wonder if the bar would make it even better.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks goldgus, that's a beautiful car!

great info and opinions thanks to everyone

I am thinking around 650 to 700HP and either a Steeda or FRPP handling package;
I did see Steeda has one esp for a vert.

for you vert owners any wind noise, leakage or any operation concerns with the top?

The car would never see a drag strip, but I do want outstanding handling and braking from it

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My second vert, I could never go back. My GT500 is not my daily driver though.

If you want to go to the track though you will want a coupe (or a 6 point roll bar installed), in order to run if you are running under 12.6 (I beleive).

The vert is a bit heavier.

But if you live in good climate....Vert is the way to go..IMO
thks it won't be my daily driver either and I dont see it on the track
and I live in North Carolina so climate is pretty good

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I absolutely love my Vert, and I'm glad I decided to go for it when I ordered it in February. I never owned one before (vert) but cant even think of going back now. I just changed out my intake to a JLT Carbon Fiber unit so I could fit the Strut Tower Brace in there for a little extra rigidity.

Topless is AWESOME!!! :rocker:
goldgus I notice your car does not have the style bar,I have seen two verts for sale here in NC with it.It that a Ford option of is it aftermarket?

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Its strictly aftermarket... there are some nice ones out there, in differnet color vinyls, carbon fiber "look" etc. - I thought about getting one, but need to see it on a 2010 (in person) before I make that move. Ive only seen pictures up to now. I did do something this weekend which has made a noticeable improvement in chassis stiffness, I installed a strut tower brace.
I do know that the style/light bars clearly state that they offer no extra protection in a rollover, however any time you bolt the sides of the car together, it has to help with rigidity.
And I have had no issues with my top, motors work smoothly and the fit/finish is great. No leaks at all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Vert's are for women and old men. They don't look as good and there is more wear and tear with a vert. Trust me, you will regret getting a vert.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Haha... to each his own...
I like my cars like I like my women - topless. And I'm not an old man either...

You cant beat the combination of 540 HP and the wind in your hair. Makes me smile just thinking about it...

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,956 Posts
The only bad thing about a 500 vert is that if you go to the track, they probably won't let you run without a cage, and a cage defeats the purpose of a vert. I loved my '98 cobra vert at times and hated it at others. I rarely ever go to the track, but I wanted the structure of the coupe with this much power.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts