Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be the first to admit that I'd love to be able to take my GT500 to Barrett-Jackson in 20 years and sell it for a boatload of money. That's not why I bought the car, but it would be nice :) And with that in mind, I'm keeping mods to a bare minimum.

I'm also very anal, and don't want any scratches, rock chips, etc. I've got Ventureshield on my Charger and love it. But my concern with the GT500 is that when (or if) I go to pull the Ventureshield off in 5 years, 10 years, whenever, is it going to damage the tape stripes in the process? That would not be acceptable.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I'll be the first to admit that I'd love to be able to take my GT500 to Barrett-Jackson in 20 years and sell it for a boatload of money. That's not why I bought the car, but it would be nice :) And with that in mind, I'm keeping mods to a bare minimum.

I'm also very anal, and don't want any scratches, rock chips, etc. I've got Ventureshield on my Charger and love it. But my concern with the GT500 is that when (or if) I go to pull the Ventureshield off in 5 years, 10 years, whenever, is it going to damage the tape stripes in the process? That would not be acceptable.

My Venture Shield is going on this Thursday.:bandit:

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Cars that bring big $$ today never had protection, just good care or repaint. I was a fan of ventureshield/clearbra until I saw what it did to the paint on my IS350.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Cars that bring big $$ today never had protection, just good care or repaint. I was a fan of ventureshield/clearbra until I saw what it did to the paint on my IS350.

Ok I'll bite.What did it do to your paint?:bandit:

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Will that help prevent tickets too ? I could use it when I "venture" out.:scatter:

No but responsible driving and a good radar/laser detector will help.Lol,sorry George it just came out:info-smilie: I am sorry buddy.I still think it's from being around Orf.:simmadown: Wow I'm gunna pay for this post I have a feeling:ack:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Will that help prevent tickets too ? I could use it when I "venture" out.:scatter:
Like Fred said, this will help.

No but responsible driving and a good radar/laser detector will help.Lol,sorry George it just came out:info-smilie: I am sorry buddy.I still think it's from being around Orf.:simmadown: Wow I'm gunna pay for this post I have a feeling:ack:
Responsible driving, like everyone at the Woodward Dream Cruise does. Right, Fred?

For the record, I wasn't even within sight of those who got tickets in April.

I did see Bill pulled over, but he had been there for a few minutes by the time I drove by.

You just want to be careful where you park when I'm around. That's all.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gassman, more details please.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Like Fred said, this will help.

Responsible driving, like everyone at the Woodward Dream Cruise does. Right, Fred?

For the record, I wasn't even within sight of those who got tickets in April.

I did see Bill pulled over, but he had been there for a few minutes by the time I drove by.

You just want to be careful where you park when I'm around. That's all.

Yep, just like the Woodward Dream Cruise.:ack: I knew I wouldn't get away unscathed:simmadown: Oh well,just part of owning one of these cars.Just have to do another mod to make ourselves feel better.:bandit:

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I was driving responsible my encounter was the result of an ambush by the MPD.
Wasn't your encounter , no your exhibition :redblob: of "responsible" driving caught on tape right in front of law enforcement ? I wonder where that tape is now ? I guess the 'Venture shield' wouldn't have helped you either.:smokin:

·
Registered
3,077 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Gasserdude,

Maybe the older products did something to your paint, I'm not sure what your problem was because you have not explained it. I can only go with the advice of the best installer in the Pacific NW. He is the only 4 star installer in the area.

This is what he has to say about removing it down the road:

VentureShield uses a patented acrylic adhesive which can be safely removed without residue, leaving your car looking as great as the day you bought it!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Fred,

I know you were concerned about having the venture shield installed possibly too soon over your rock chip repair. I thought this would ease your mind about it:

How long should I wait after painting the car before having VentureShield installed? The guy at the body shop said I need to wait a month. Is this true?

Unfortunately, there is no definitive answer for this one. The guy at the body shop is trying to cover himself by insisting on a month to allow the paint to cure. However, we frequently install VentureShield over repairs that are only one or two days out of the paint shop, AT THE BODY SHOPS, with no ill effects. VentureShield is 'gas permeable', meaning that the paint can continue to out-gas and cure without any adverse effects. Our position is that if the paint is properly applied, baked and road-worthy, the installation can proceed immediately.

However, because we have no control over how the prep work is done, how well the paint is applied, if and/or how long the paint is baked, etc., we cannot be liable for paint that lifts or might otherwise be damaged during the course of installation or removal

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
I am sure my 3M clearbra was not as good as Ventureshield, and my installer was probably not rated. But what I had a problem with was the dirt that collected on the edges caused scratches in the clearcoat that needed to be buffed out. I just had a bad experience with my IS350, but If I had a chance to do Ventureshied with a top rated installer I would probably do it.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I am sure my 3M clearbra was not as good as Ventureshield, and my installer was probably not rated. But what I had a problem with was the dirt that collected on the edges caused scratches in the clearcoat that needed to be buffed out. I just had a bad experience with my IS350, but If I had a chance to do Ventureshied with a top rated installer I would probably do it.
Most of my edges are wrapped under the body panels except for the leading edges. Those edges, if dirty , need to be cleaned with isopropyl alcohol with a Q-Tip. This will take the brown marks off if you ever get them.

I clean my car enough that this has not been needed. The quick detailer works fine on the edges with a micro fibre towell.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I was driving responsible my encounter was the result of an ambush by the MPD.
Wasn't your encounter , no your exhibition :redblob: of "responsible" driving caught on tape right in front of law enforcement ? I wonder where that tape is now ? I guess the 'Venture shield' wouldn't have helped you either.:smokin:

George yes mine was self inflicted.I feel for you.I know you feel cheated and it was wrong what they did.Where's the tape you ask?All over the net.Mrfarmdog just posted it again a couple weeks ago.I never tried to hide it.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Having a badge usually helps too :roller:

·
Registered
208 Posts
What is considered the proper cure time for New Paint. I just had my GT40 repainted very interested in preventing road Rash

LLoyd

1 - 20 of 57 Posts