Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a clear bra installed this week. I wasn't sure I was going to do this because i was worried about the gap the clear bra would have between the paint and stripes. After talking to an installer we decided to do each stripe individually. This turned out to be 15 separate pieces for the stripes, including the space between the stripes. It was a complete custom install because there are no patterns for the 2010 yet, the installer spent the entire day at my house. It turned out really nice, hardly noticeable and I feel much safer driving with this protection.

Attachments

·
Registered
179 Posts
great idea! do you mind if i ask what it cost you? im sure its worth it, whatever you paid.

·
Registered
208 Posts
i considered not doing the stripes. just the painted surfaces. the stripe should be able to take a pretty good hit without leaving a mark
LLoyd

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It cost $600 but I added $50 since he spent so much time on it, I also bought him lunch.
I learned my lesson on the stripes with a Mini Cooper S. We had the clear bra added at the dealer and they did it over the stripes. I didn't like the gap next to the stripes so had them remove the clear bra from the stripes. After 50K mile the stripes have a number of nicks in them. The is why I choose to do the stripes on the GT500.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Thanks for posting this. They have a dealer/installer in a nearby town and I think I'll have it done. I was about to buy a bra for the car anyways.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
I had a clear bra installed this week. I wasn't sure I was going to do this because i was worried about the gap the clear bra would have between the paint and stripes. After talking to an installer we decided to do each stripe individually. This turned out to be 15 separate pieces for the stripes, including the space between the stripes. It was a complete custom install because there are no patterns for the 2010 yet, the installer spent the entire day at my house. It turned out really nice, hardly noticeable and I feel much safer driving with this protection.
On my hood I have one big piece of clear bra and it covers my stripes in one piece. The gap you speak of is very small. The top few inches of clear bra at the stripes is cut to prevent dirt and water from getting into that space / gap that you speak of.

Bra over stripe edges.

Here is the cuts at the top edge that I have to prevent the water an dirt from getting in.

The problem that you need to keep an eye on is on your front bumper. Keep an eye on the clear bra at the front bumper "stripe overlap". Since you have covered the stripes separately you may have a problem down the road with the clear bra material staying stuck down at the overlap. That over lap in the stripes is big and if dirt and water works it's way in thru the side...you will see it on the white stripes. Keep an eye on it before dirt gets in there.

My bumper was done in pieces like yours, and I notice that the overlap was a problem for the VS to stay stuck down. I did a little fix on my own that no one notices except me. It turned out pretty good and I caught it before dirt got in there.

I took some white pin stripe tape and applied it over the top of the bra seam that you and I have in our front bumper. The Pin stripe capped this seam and now no water or dirt can get in there.

This is what my front bumper looks like with the seam at the stripes covered with some white pin stripe tape.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The overlap was done in two pieces, one from the top of the bumper to the big overlap and the other starting just below the overlap. It worked out nicely.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
The overlap was done in two pieces, one from the top of the bumper to the big overlap and the other starting just below the overlap. It worked out nicely.
Since they laid the VS onto the stripe in 2 pieces just like the original stripe you should not have any side air gap on the side ever show up. The only thing that I don't like about all the exposed seams is that they have a tendency to attract and collect dirt. Since those seams are on top of white stripes you will need to clean them often with a Q-tip and isopropylalcohol to keep them from showing the dirt.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, that is one downside of laying down the VS this way. What wax do you use on your VS, they say to use Plexus to clean it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts