Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could be embarrassing if the Raiders end up sucking...

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
33,113 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500
284 Posts
Glad "Chuckie" got his Shelby, but being a lifelong Chiefs fan, I never wish well for the Raiders. I have been by the new stadium, most recently during a pilgrimage to Shelby American. That new stadium is something else!

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The new stadium sure is a modern marvel. Pure Vegas. On the flip side, how’d you like to have greenlit a $1.9B gathering point that ended up opening during the century’s most virulent pandemic? It must be how Orville and Wilbur would’ve felt if gravity stopped being a thing back in November 1903.

At least the extent to which taxpayers will be hosed mostly is limited to the special tax on hotel rooms - which probably will continue to exist decades beyond collecting the initial goal. Sheldon Adelson must feel like the smartest person in the world for pulling out his $3/4B last year.

I’m not a Raiders fan either, which always will be the Oakland Raiders to me, regardless of where they’re playing this year. I fully expect them to move again before the decade ends. As far as I’m concerned, the Raiders stopped being the Raiders when Stabler, Tatum, Davidson and Guy hung up their cleats.

I wonder how long before Coach’s new 500 ends up at Gold & Silver Pawn.

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500
284 Posts
The new stadium sure is a modern marvel. Pure Vegas. On the flip side, how’d you like to have greenlit a $1.9B gathering point that ended up opening during the century’s most virulent pandemic? It must be how Orville and Wilbur would’ve felt if gravity stopped being a thing back in November 1903.

At least the extent to which taxpayers will be hosed mostly is limited to the special tax on hotel rooms - which probably will continue to exist decades beyond collecting the initial goal. Sheldon Adelson must feel like the smartest person in the world for pulling out his $3/4B last year.

I’m not a Raiders fan either, which always will be the Oakland Raiders to me, regardless of where they’re playing this year. I fully expect them to move again before the decade ends. As far as I’m concerned, the Raiders stopped being the Raiders when Stabler, Tatum, Davidson and Guy hung up their cleats.

I wonder how long before Coach’s new 500 ends up at Gold & Silver Pawn.
I am with you there. Oakland Raiders, Houston Oilers, San Diego Chargers, Saint Louis Cardinals and Washington Redskins. Will never change for me. I remember the first year of Monday Night Football with much fondness. At least as late as my Dad would let me stay up to watch!

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am with you there. Oakland Raiders, Houston Oilers, San Diego Chargers, Saint Louis Cardinals and Washington Redskins. Will never change for me. I remember the first year of Monday Night Football with much fondness. At least as late as my Dad would let me stay up to watch!
Amen!

And the Cleveland Browns. Not the ones that slid in behind them when the McCoy left to fill the void the Colts left in Baltimore.

Then again, I’m still trying to figure out what the hell the Brewers are doing in the National League and what about Utah has ANYTHING to do with Jazz.

The whole world started heading to hell in a handcart when the Designated Hitter arrived as far as I’m concerned.

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500
284 Posts
I forgot about the Colts - and Johnny U! I guess I am just a cranky old guy. I doubt I ever accept the Baltimore Ravens or the Tennessee Titans. The Seahawks belong in the AFC West, too.

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No kidding. Johnny U and Earl Morrall - the twin flat tops behind center. The good old days indeed. Then came Bart Jones.

I’ve literally lost interest with so many new franchises I don’t care about thinning the talent pool for all the teams that matter, not to mention the ones that move from city to city on whim.

They’ve done for franchises what free agency did to players who used to spend entire productive careers with a single team in a single city where they became beloved forever, no matter how badly they sucked.

All I know is if Tampa ever gets a pro football team, there’s probably no surer sign that the end times are upon us. No, wait...

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I must be the same age as you guys.

Don't forget the Lakers moving from the land of lakes to Los Angeles.

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I must be the same age as you guys.

Don't forget the Lakers moving from the land of lakes to Los Angeles.
Yep. That too!

Or those screwy few years when Washington Senators (kind of) became Texas Rangers, Seattle had a one-year team called The Pilots and some other such nonsense involving the Twins went on.

I finally tired of trying to keep pace of it all. But God help baseball if the Giants ever leave the Polo Grounds or the Dodgers abandon Brooklyn.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts