Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed in the past few days an odor which smells like burned plastic or ceramic after driving for just a few miles. It seems to be under the hood or possibly under the car. Is this something that goes along with the clutch/flywheel problem? This is noted after normal in town driving, not pushing the car at all. Shifting /clutch function doesn't seem much different - occasionally has a brief grind going into second when cold. I'm planning to take it to the dealer as soon as possible.

·
Registered
658 Posts
ck the exhaust pipes for a plastic bag you may have picked up on the road

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,957 Posts
haha, been there, done that joe...

·
Registered
658 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
You didn't pass someone only to notice the local sheriff parked in the next parking lot up the street did you? If so, I'd say check your pants... this happened to me today too. I wouldn't use the description of plastic though in my instance...

Kidding aside - no clue, but burnt plastic sounds better than burnt metal.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I've noticed in the past few days an odor which smells like burned plastic or ceramic after driving for just a few miles. It seems to be under the hood or possibly under the car. Is this something that goes along with the clutch/flywheel problem? This is noted after normal in town driving, not pushing the car at all. Shifting /clutch function doesn't seem much different - occasionally has a brief grind going into second when cold. I'm planning to take it to the dealer as soon as possible.
Do you notice it from inside the cabin? On occassion I notice a similar odor after releasing the clutch while gently rolling from a stop. My thoughts are it's the clutch getting hot after the brief slip. I noticed this before and after the tranny TSB.

Your clutch should not be grinding in second.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you notice it from inside the cabin? On occassion I notice a similar odor after releasing the clutch while gently rolling from a stop. My thoughts are it's the clutch getting hot after the brief slip. I noticed this before and after the tranny TSB.

Your clutch should not be grinding in second.
I notice a faint smell inside occasionally, but usually as I'm getting out of the car. I suspect it has something to do with the clutch/flywheel. The dealer says that a slight grind into second for the first 2-3 shifts, when cold, is normal. Sounds like I need to push for them to proceed with the clutch/flywheel fix. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Normal is dealer speak for "We don't want to be bothered with your issue".

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Normal is dealer speak for "We don't want to be bothered with your issue".
That's what I'm thinking. I guess I can appeal to the next level above the dealer, but am hoping it won't come to this.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Have any of you guys experienced a light scent of oil burning after spooling the supercharger on a hard pull?
It smells like oil leaking from a v/c on to a hot exhaust manifold, but I can't find leak 1 anywhere.
I'm thinking oil catch can may be needed.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,957 Posts
Every once in a while I get a faint burning oil smell, but it doesn't seem to directly relate to hard pulls. I usually attribute it to a car around me. I'm still on the stock blower and supposedly Eaton has said some oil is actually good for it... Only reason I haven't done a catch can yet.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have any of you guys experienced a light scent of oil burning after spooling the supercharger on a hard pull?
It smells like oil leaking from a v/c on to a hot exhaust manifold, but I can't find leak 1 anywhere.
I'm thinking oil catch can may be needed.
I have noticed that after doing some highway driving where I stepped on it a couple of times, but I also could not find a leak. Interesting.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts