Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2011 SVTPP GT500 Convertible, Silver
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just FYI.

Well, after an exhaustive search to find new replacements for my steering wheel cruise and stereo control buttons, I've turned up exactly nothing. I've had two orders canceled because these parts are either discontinued or not in stock anywhere.

If you have flaking buttons, which is a common problem, looks like you're out of luck unless I'm missing something. None on eBay at the moment, either. Might have to hit a junkyard. You can still find 2013-14 buttons but I wonder how long that's going to last.

Does it seem strange to anyone that Ford would cease making these button assemblies? I mean how many Mustangs were built in those three years?

If your set of buttons is perfect, guard them with your life.

For the interested, the (former) parts numbers are:

AR3Z-9C888-BA​
Cruise Switch​
$24.76​
1​
$24.76​
AR3Z-9C888-DA​
Cruise Switch​
$28.28​
1​
$28.28​

The parts on order are currently on backorder from FORD with no ETA on availability.

·
Registered
831 Posts
You might think about checking with your local wrecking yards. You probably can find complete steering wheel assemblies that you can scavange the parts you need.
Did you try Rock Auto?

·
Registered
Numerous
1,579 Posts
Have you looked for take off / replacement steering wheels, rather than just the buttons? (More expensive, I understand.)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It appears Tasca Ford has the right side in Stock no left side.
AR3Z-9C888-DA
I wrote Tasca this morning to confirm availability. Nothing back yet. Mine aren't terrible, so it's not an emergency I'd just like them to look new.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,180 Posts
This is always an issue with wear parts on cars that are kind of old, but not too old yet. Once the demand is high enough (lots of people wanting to replace worn parts), the aftermarket world steps-up and recreates the item... until then, you are out of luck.

My 2011 started showing wear on these years ago, so I bought a set of buttons and an extra steering wheel to store away for future options.

If you are going the salvage yard route, call these guys:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From Tasca:

"We do not have either of these parts in stock, unfortunately, and they're both showing national back order from Ford with no solid ETA for release as of now.

Our apologies!"

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500
279 Posts
Back order is not a bad thing, just means you have to wait for the supplier to fill the stock order. When Tasca sends the dreaded obsolete message you are out of luck.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For now, I hit the switches with some DeOxIt and rocked them about 100x each. I use this stuff on my vintage synth and drum machine collection and it's really amazing.

The volume +/- was occasionally controlling the track FWD/REV. Now they work perfectly, just not as farm-fresh looking as I'd like them to be.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
OK so after a 9 month search, I think I found the ONLY new OEM set of 10-12 cruise buttons left in existence. Been checking and they are still on "backorder" everywhere, so guessing that means they'll be available on the 11th of Never. Anyway, ordered them today. I also studied the right side part numbers pretty thoroughly and it seems 13-14 steering wheel buttons are the same as 10-12. I'll confirm once they get here. $120 roughly for both sets, ordered from different places. Mine are failing, particularly the ones on the driver side.

Product Font Output device Technology Rectangle

Font Rectangle Software Screenshot Gadget

Reactions: Goose17

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,180 Posts
OK so after a 9 month search, I think I found the ONLY new OEM set of 10-12 cruise buttons left in existence. Been checking and they are still on "backorder" everywhere, so guessing that means they'll be available on the 11th of Never. Anyway, ordered them today. I also studied the right side part numbers pretty thoroughly and it seems 13-14 steering wheel buttons are the same as 10-12. I'll confirm once they get here. $120 roughly for both sets, ordered from different places. Mine are failing, particularly the ones on the driver side.

View attachment 223202

View attachment 223203
Nice score Anthony! Let us know how the swap goes.

Reactions: REMIX

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Errr just noticed this today. WTF this is annoying.

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
For what it's worth, I think that 7 years is the common/required time frame that manufacturers are required to stock replacement parts for their product. As Goose mentioned, if there's enough demand, aftermarket can step up, but I'd imagine button's are not in that high of demand.

·
Registered
256 Posts
For what it's worth, I think that 7 years is the common/required time frame that manufacturers are required to stock replacement parts for their product.
this is a old wives tale. manufacturers are not REQUIRED to make parts for any length of time.
i own a 08 Bullitt mustang. Ford started discontinuing the parts for it in 2010.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,920 Posts
this is a old wives tale. manufacturers are not REQUIRED to make parts for any length of time.
i own a 08 Bullitt mustang. Ford started discontinuing the parts for it in 2010.
Interesting, as I've heard that time window, as well. I would assume this is a federally mandated requirement for adherence by vehicle manufacturers, but not sure where to look to confirm it.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,180 Posts
Interesting, as I've heard that time window, as well. I would assume this is a federally mandated requirement for adherence by vehicle manufacturers, but not sure where to look to confirm it.
I can use my 2000 Cobra R as an example. There were only 300 built. They were assembled “1 off” by hand. Enough specialty parts were made for the 300 cars plus a couple extras. Some parts like the wheels, wing and splitter were made in bigger numbers as those could be sold to non R owners to be added to their cars. Other parts like engine specific goodies were simply not available. One guy just did a home made recreation of the big intake plenum that sits atop the engine. The original parts were not available when the car was new and most certainly not available now. He did a good job on his home-build. Picture of mine for reference:

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Auto part Vehicle

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can confirm 13-14 passenger side buttons work perfectly.

As for these button repair kits, the wheel buttons are curved/raised in spots. If they were flat I'd think it would be a bit easier. Not convinced this would look very good.

Hand Automotive tire Vehicle Finger Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Camera lens Motor vehicle Vehicle Cameras & optics

Car Steering part Motor vehicle Plant Automotive design

1 - 20 of 22 Posts