Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Kona Blue VMP Gen2R
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what paint type and color Ford used on the undercarriage? I have a Kona Blue 2010 GT500 and the undercarriage is this greenish yellow color. I need to touch up some parts since I will be welding on the undercarriage.

·
Premium Member
KEN (#1) 2008 Metalic Vista Blue Convertible Stripe Delete w/some Stripes
5,708 Posts
Picture would help. A "greenish yellow" sounds like a zinc oxcide primer.. Nothing like that under my '08?

·
Registered
2010 Kona Blue VMP Gen2R
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The whole underneath carriage is painted or dipped in it and is this color except near the edges which have the Kona Blue fading into it.

IMG_20210311_040453605.jpg
IMG_20210311_040428577.jpg
IMG_20210311_040220768.jpg

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
30,838 Posts
The whole underneath carriage is painted or dipped in it and is this color except near the edges which have the Kona Blue fading into it.

View attachment 212489 View attachment 212490 View attachment 212491
I did a full “bottom restoration” on my 94 Cobra and learned a lot during the process. The bottom paint is often referred to as a “slop coat” if I recall correctly. It is the result of mixing all the leftover body color paint. There isn’t a paint code. I removed a piece and took it to a paint shop. They color matched it for me. Get a satin finish.

You can see my paint work around the 10:20 mark:

Reactions: Nuttypinhead12

·
Registered
215 Posts
Its actually the color from e-coating the metal and isn't paint. Cant really be scraped off. SEM makes what they call E-Coat primer in a range of greenish hues thats pretty close:

·
Registered
2010 Kona Blue VMP Gen2R
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its actually the color from e-coating the metal and isn't paint. Cant really be scraped off. SEM makes what they call E-Coat primer in a range of greenish hues thats pretty close:

Thanks!

I think the Olive Green will be the best match for my car. Their site says dark green but I don't think my color is dark green.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,838 Posts
Thanks!

I think the Olive Green will be the best match for my car. Their site says dark green but I don't think my color is dark green.
Let us know how well it matches please.

·
Premium Member
2020 gt500 Shadow Black
120 Posts
I did a full “bottom restoration” on my 94 Cobra and learned a lot during the process. The bottom paint is often referred to as a “slop coat” if I recall correctly. It is the result of mixing all the leftover body color paint. There isn’t a paint code. I removed a piece and took it to a paint shop. They color matched it for me. Get a satin finish.

You can see my paint work around the 10:20 mark:

OMG Goose, when do you sleep?
Just curious, your wife ever accuse you of being anal retentive?

Reactions: 03reptile

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,838 Posts
OMG Goose, when do you sleep?
Just curious, your wife ever accuse you of being anal retentive?
Funny! 😆 I actually just woke up a bit ago from flying all night.

I’ll admit, when it comes to my cars, I am guilty of being “anal retentive.” When something isn’t quite right, it bugs the heck outta me!

·
Registered
2010 Kona Blue VMP Gen2R
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update .... I tried Light Green, Olive Green and Dark Green (color SEM recommended) to try to match the underneath of my 2010 GT500. I read an earlier post from a few years ago and they said Olive Green was the best match. On mine I think the Dark Green SEM Ez Coat is a better match...not perfect but closer. None match the factory color exactly on my car.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,838 Posts
Update .... I tried Light Green, Olive Green and Dark Green (color SEM recommended) to try to match the underneath of my 2010 GT500. I read an earlier post from a few years ago and they said Olive Green was the best match. On mine I think the Dark Green SEM Ez Coat is a better match...not perfect but closer. None match the factory color exactly on my car.
That’s why I took a removable part off and hit-up a paint store to color match it.

·
Premium Member
3,606 Posts
Picture would help. A "greenish yellow" sounds like a zinc oxcide primer.. Nothing like that under my '08?
Ken,
Post some photos of your 08’. If I recall correctly, it is hit or miss what color the undercarriage is.

Thanks for the update

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,838 Posts
Found this on the web:

“The underside of the Mustang was painted with a primer color called "slop". It was the result of dumping all left-over paint from the day's production into a common vat and using that as the resulting primer color. Sometimes it favored red oxide, sometimes it was a dull greenish color, sometimes it is a dark grayish color. Just depended on what the mixture was for the day. Pretty much anything goes. Engine bay was always semi-flat black satin. Trunk was original body color.”

·
Registered
188 Posts
Found this on the web:

“The underside of the Mustang was painted with a primer color called "slop". It was the result of dumping all left-over paint from the day's production into a common vat and using that as the resulting primer color. Sometimes it favored red oxide, sometimes it was a dull greenish color, sometimes it is a dark grayish color. Just depended on what the mixture was for the day. Pretty much anything goes. Engine bay was always semi-flat black satin. Trunk was original body color.”

sorry. just because you read it on the internet doesn't make it true.
i have gone on 5 car assembly plant tours in the 90's and 2000's, 3 GM in Janesvill and 1 chrysler 1 Ford in detroit and watched the priming processes in action. to go on one a appointment is required. you have to find or make your own group to go on with. the ones on detroit were set up thru my PPG paint contacts. i am been a certified PPG painter for over 30 years.

when cars are primed at the factory they are dipped into a vat of water based primer.it's special primer designed for the application. so NO they don't just randomly dump left over paint in the vat. the cars move in a up and down pattern to remove air pockets. the track they follow is electrified in a few spots. when it hits those spots it charges the metal body so the primer sticks to it. this is why it's called E Coat primer. after it makes it to the end it goes over a second vat and the primer is washed off while the body is rotated to speed up the draining process.
some of the color variances are from contaminates that end up in the body dipping vat. others are from slightly different colors of primer they get there really isn't a color standard for E Coat primer.
also when the cars get painted there is nothing inside of them. when the robots paint the car overspray gets everywhere inside of the car. this overspray also changes the color of the primer you see. really the few spots of the car that aren't changed by overspray is in the center of the car.

i use Sem EZ Coat a LOT. sometimes you have to use 2 different cans at the same time to get a fair match. i will also confess i really don't put a large effort in getting a E Coat primer color match on something that rarely gets seen.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
30,838 Posts
Thanks for the info @thatsmrt2you

I haven’t witnessed it first hand like you. I do see quite a bit of reference to “slop mix” across the web. If these are in fact different, I guess it’s possible that “slop mix” and “e-coat” are both correct, but apply to different generations of Mustangs...? I’m not the expert here.

When I was restoring the bottom of my 94, I bought various paints to try and match the color... I couldn’t get a match. That’s when I researched Mustang bottom colors and came across the “slop mix” term. Getting color-matched paint was my solution that worked well.

·
Premium Member
3,606 Posts
No expert on this as I don’t typically look at a guy’s undercarriage :) Speaking to the 07-09 cars, I’m not sure why some undercarriage are different than others. Mine is the puke green, I see some of that color in the engine compartment where there wasn’t enough paint applied, inside the fender/door gap, inside the deck lid, etc. For someone like me, seeing it in these areas is annoying. I would prefer to see these areas covered with plenty of body color. If I recall correctly, @RhinoRacing and @Robert M their cars have good solid body color in these areas.

·
Premium Member
KEN (#1) 2008 Metalic Vista Blue Convertible Stripe Delete w/some Stripes
5,708 Posts
Ken,
Post some photos of your 08’. If I recall correctly, it is hit or miss what color the undercarriage is.
Hey Bob, just spotted this.
Took these this morning.

Seems like a typical puke green, just never noticed it before.
It needs a little cleaning, but it is a bit over 13 years old !

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thanks for the info @thatsmrt2you

I haven’t witnessed it first hand like you. I do see quite a bit of reference to “slop mix” across the web. If these are in fact different, I guess it’s possible that “slop mix” and “e-coat” are both correct, but apply to different generations of Mustangs...? I’m not the expert here.

When I was restoring the bottom of my 94, I bought various paints to try and match the color... I couldn’t get a match. That’s when I researched Mustang bottom colors and came across the “slop mix” term. Getting color-matched paint was my solution that worked well.
my GUESS is the slop color mix if from the old days, pre Fox body.. i have been under the impression that cars have been E Coated in a vat since the early 80's. i know the Mopars from the late 60's early 70's were E Coated dipped the lower 2' of the car. i have restored at least 30 E Body Mopars and have seen the primerline in the middle of the cowl first hand multiple times.
my friends and i had a side business of rebuilding crashed mustangs during the entire lifespan of the Fox body mustangs. if i remember correctly from a LOONG time ago, every car we ever worked on had been E Coated.

yes different gen mustangs probably have different color E Coat primers. i would guess that colors are probably different between assembly line plants.
i work at a VW Mazda dealership bodyshop. used to be GM also but lost that after the bail out. from my observations the color of the undercoat is consistent on all of the same model of cars for the entire year. i am sure there are slight variances during the year but it's still the same basic color.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 PP
522 Posts
Slop is a term referred to from the 60s muscle cars from Ford. It could also apply to other auto makers as well--no idea. This is what restorers replicate for the underside and also some parts that were dipped such as front lower control arms in a bucket of "slop". I am not aware of this term past the 60s-early 70 restoration crowd.

Tom

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,421 Posts
No expert on this as I don’t typically look at a guy’s undercarriage :) Speaking to the 07-09 cars, I’m not sure why some undercarriage are different than others. Mine is the puke green, I see some of that color in the engine compartment where there wasn’t enough paint applied, inside the fender/door gap, inside the deck lid, etc. For someone like me, seeing it in these areas is annoying. I would prefer to see these areas covered with plenty of body color. If I recall correctly, @RhinoRacing and @Robert M their cars have good solid body color in these areas.
"Puke green!" Lovely analogy, Uncle Bobby!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts