Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine is dusty and could use a bit of detailing, but I’m hesitant to use any of the cleaners that require rinsing or pressure washing for fear of electronics getting wet and causing problems. What do most of you use for under hood detailing?

·
Moderator Dude!
28,366 Posts
My engine is dusty and could use a bit of detailing, but I’m hesitant to use any of the cleaners that require rinsing or pressure washing for fear of electronics getting wet and causing problems. What do most of you use for under hood detailing?
I use Simple Green for the easier stuff and Goof Off Heavy Duty Remover for the more challenging grime... it’s powerful stuff!

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
What do you guys use on the black hoses?

·
Moderator Dude!
28,366 Posts
Simple green to clean and Magestic Solutions Quick Details to shine!

I spray the entire engine with this stuff with the exception of the polished aluminum bits. It makes everything POP!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I use Adams In & Out spray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,888 Posts
Unfortunately, asking what detail product people use is a lot like asking what oil people use. You’re going to get a lot of different answers, and most will work just fine.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
'cause,
pressure washer doesn't affect you electrical connections?
If you're going to do that, it doesn't hurt to fire up the engine and let it get to operating temperature, so any remaining water evaporates. I just would not go crazy around the coil covers. That void between the cylinders can probably hold a gallon of water too, so no need to get crazy with it.

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
How filthy is the engine? Post pics. Then we can formulate a plan for you.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Last few times I tried to post pictures, I couldn’t get it to work. It’s not really dirty. Just a bit dusty. Only has 1400miles on it. Just like to see underhood as clean as outside and interior. I keep it garaged, under a cover and I guess I’m a clean freak.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I use Castrol Super Clean. Slightly warm engine. Do not spray on matt or polished aluminum as it will dull. let it soak for 10-15 minutes and wash off with hose spray. Start engine to dry. As it is still warm spray on Meguiars #40 Vinyl and Rubber cleaner, on plastic and hoses, then slam the hood. Check back later and it will look like new. Done it on many cars and no issue.

·
Moderator Dude!
28,366 Posts
Last few times I tried to post pictures, I couldn’t get it to work.
Pictures are real easy from a phone, tablet or computer. Use the right circled option to upload 1 pic. Use the left circled option to upload multiple pics.

I am using the right option to upload this screen shot from my iPad:

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
Swiffer for everyday dust maintenance is all I do.

For dirtier clean ups, Megs D101 in a 50/50 mix with decent microfiber towels.

You can get megs d101 on amazon cheap. It’s all purpose and works from interior cleaning to engine.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I use a microfiber cloth and a paint brush with rubber tape covering the metal band around the bristles. All by hand and zero dressing. Just a nice, clean engine.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I use a microfiber cloth and a paint brush with rubber tape covering the metal band around the bristles. All by hand and zero dressing. Just a nice, clean engine.
Sounds time consuming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts