Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unable to load new tune from VMP

4K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  oldepicker 
#1 ·
I just tried to upload a new tune sent to me by Justin and it wont work via the SCT X3 because the file size is incorrect for the PCM per the error message that pops up after the stock tune uploads to the device. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

Between this and the fact that he couldn't supply a pulley puller (even though no indication of being out of stock was shown during the order placement), thereby having the idler and 2.65" pulley and no way to install it, I'm kinda disappointed at the moment. BTW, he says the puller is coming from Texas (probably LFP I'm guessing).

:boohoo:

#2 ·
Send Justin an email or pm him from this site

#3 ·
:mad:Hang in there!

Justin is a good guy and I don't believe for an instant he would intentionally steer you wrong. Sometimes these things happen with electronic stuff - don't even get me started on the stupid DELL laptop I bought in January and it still won't work

#4 ·
I know guys, he's been fine and I did email him today. The problem is he's on vacation this week and it's frustrating. After being told no puller tool in the order, but just flash it anyway, it doesn't matter whether the pulley is swapped or not, all I end up with is an installed CAI and an uneasy feeling that the car is possibly running on the lean side, but I love it too much not to drive it. I just hope an emailed tune will fix it and the puller tool comes soon and it's all done by next weekend! Thanks for your support...

Shawn

#5 ·
Hang in there! Wait until the tune is loaded and the pulley is on... the frustration will fade into a huge grin when you stomp on the pedal! Think like you're waiting to open your christmas presents and all will be good.

BTW- where are you at?

#6 ·
I'm up in New Hampshire, where the air is cool and full o' horsepower! Thanks for the Christmas present analogy, that's exactly what I'll do. I actually said the same thing to Justin about a week and a half regarding the grin I'll have on my face after I get all the mods in and take it for a spin.

Next will be some control arms for the ridiculous wheel hop I have with mine most of the time I put my foot into it while turning onto another road at an intersection. Jeez...then suspension...then... this shit never ends!

#7 ·
Is there anyone in NH that can help out here? With the large number of pullies we are all swapping, I'd bet someone close to you HAS a puller in the garage. If you were in SE GA, I'd let you borrow mine. Just an idea....

#8 ·
Thanks sailor, sentiment appreciated. The problem now is that I can't swap the pulley 'til the tune gets loaded into the car, and the SCT X3 says the tune file is too big(and SCT's website has no reference anywhere for an explanation of that error message) and can't be loaded. So with no tune in the car, I can't swap the pulley even if I had the puller... sucks, huh? The last thing I expected was any glitches with the re-flash, having had no problem with the previous 2 cars I've done.

#9 ·
That is interesting, being Easter Sunday, it's probably thought to get a hold of a breathing body at SCT, I got my tune from Lightning Force and didn’t have a problem with it. This is, however, my first experience with all this nifty computer stuff.......... can you 'hear' the sarcasm? I am kinda a carb guy, gas and spark, that's all I want lol. Good luck though, and you will LOVE the differences, exhaust sound, SC scream, and most of all the sheer get up and go!

#11 ·
Jeez, now I think the run around is starting. I try to Get SCT and they disconnect me after 20 mins. on hold and still no human and Justin tell s me to contact SCT... F'in' great!!!

My email:
Justin,

I should probably wait to send this, but what the hell, I will anyway. I'm not the happiest camper right now as I was unable to load the tune due to an error message that said that the file size was wrong for the PCM and it could not be uploaded. This occurred after the flasher uploaded the stock file.

So... between not having the pulley puller and this, my confidence and satisfaction is not too high at the moment. Please take care of this as soon as you can, because I am driving around with the K & N installed and no new tune. I hope it's not dangerous (a too lean condition), though at this point, I figure you might tell me it's OK either way, just so I don't get even more pissed off...

I'll await your response and hope we can get this fixed pronto...Thanks in advance...

His response:
Hey Shawn, catching up from vacation now, have you figured out anything or talked to sct? At what point does the tuner give you that error?

I can get you a pulley puller, but it would be the metco, which most guys don’t like because it bends the pullies.

You should not go wot without a tune for that intake

I smell run around coming ...

#12 ·
My response to his:

Justin, This is not making me happy, to say the least. As I explained in my email, after uploading the stock tune, the error message saying the file size is incorrect for the PCM is displayed and nothing else can then be done. Also, after that, no strategy, DTC or vehicle info can be had either. But, if I hook up the X3 and attempt to get that info first, no problem. The strategy for the car is: FBMM0C9.HEX. SCT was also on vacation and they are a real joy to try and reach. I just now got disconnected from them after waiting 20 minutes on hold for the next available agent. To top it off, I got the engine light illuminated on the way home from work after a run onto an on ramp. Please don't tell me that I'm gonna get the run around now. You telling me to contact SCT and they (if I can ever get to talk to anyone) telling me to contact you. This is turning into a real fun project. I now have a car that isn't running right and I'll probably end up having to convert it back to stock, essentially doing twice the work for nothing. Am I expecting too much to think this thing oughta work out of the box??? Shawn

:(

#13 · (Edited)
Be patient grasshoppa, I got an email like yours and was glad to get one telling me to wait for the better puller and idler, at least he stated they were on backorder instead of mailing out a lesser quality tool or different item. About your SCT problem, it can be solved easily. If I can do it, you certainly can. It is one of 2 things: 1 your technotard powers are at an all time high, or 2 your computor has trouble reconizing the file or SCT. At what point does the SCT give you the error?

#15 ·
Re: IT WORKED!!!

Well Gassman, you will be getting your pulley puller soon, Justin got a box of 'em today.

As for my tuning problem, Justin stepped up and did as I asked and sent another version of the tune via email. After I re-ran the driver, the Updater software recognized the Flasher. I downloaded the file off the email attachment and the updater software, Live-wired it to the tuner w/o a glitch of any kind.

I then scurried out to the garage and attempted the tune load. VOILA!!! She worked. :) Before, after the stock tune upload, I would get an error message "tune file wrong size for PCM" and it would get a brain fart and not function to even be able to detect DTC's or get the vehicle info. If I tried that first before attempting the corrupted tune download, it would work fine: detected DTC's, gave me the VIN, and the strategy code. Mmmm seems to be a tune file error... and apparently it was!

#16 ·
Re: IT WORKED!!!

Well Gassman, you will be getting your pulley puller soon, Justin got a box of 'em today.

As for my tuning problem, Justin stepped up and did as I asked and sent another version of the tune via email. After I re-ran the driver, the Updater software recognized the Flasher. I downloaded the file off the email attachment and the updater software, Live-wired it to the tuner w/o a glitch of any kind.

I then scurried out to the garage and attempted the tune load. VOILA!!! She worked. :) Before, after the stock tune upload, I would get an error message "tune file wrong size for PCM" and it would get a brain fart and not function to even be able to detect DTC's or get the vehicle info. If I tried that first before attempting the corrupted tune download, it would work fine: detected DTC's, gave me the VIN, and the strategy code. Mmmm seems to be a tune file error... and apparently it was!
Sooo...

Where are the grins? or are you still out there breakin' the law?

TD:rofl:

#20 ·
Hey guys, Justin does a good tune, very seamless and smooth. I still have the original pulley on the car 'cause the puller hasn't arrived, but it should be here next week. It'll be good for a few more smiles per gallon, then on to doing some suspension work!

I've only had the car about a month and am getting used to its handling limits and sliding it around a bit in turns (smooth ones!). My previous car was a Honda S2000, so it's been a cautious learning curve- that friggin' honda was a 4 wheeled motorcycle. Love that v-8 power, these GT500's are a blast, huh?

#21 ·
If I'm understanding your post, you installed the program and you are using the car without having the hard parts installed?

#22 ·
J man,

Yes, I got the tune file loaded and I had already installed the Cold Air Intake (CAI). I didn't want to pull the CAI out after installing it (prior to the reflash attempts) so just ran it w/o the new tune. It blew a couple of codes and the engine light came on, specifically PO171 & 174 "System too lean" on Bank 1 & 2. I clear the codes, kept my foot out of it, then Justin sent the new tune file via Email. I loaded the tune and it runs great. But since he had run out of Pulley Pullers, I couldn't change the pulley ( I got the tool today BTW- so Pulley swap tomorrow!).

Justin explained that not having the pulley swapped is not a big deal because the tune depends more on the airflow and voltages generated by new flow characteristics of a good CAI and that affects the ranges of response more than the added flow and boost of a smaller pulley. With a new pulley, the new tune senses the increased airflow and acts accordingly, adding more fuel into the mixture. That added boost and airflow doesn't increase the voltages and require that the tune be altered much. The CAI affects things more than the pulley change apparently. In other words, the slightly less boost of a stock pulley vs. a smaller one is still in the range parameters of the smaller pulley tune that I loaded.

But I sure as shit am looking forward to getting the pulley swapped so I can feel that extra 30-40 horsies and foot pounds! Just the CAI install and the new tune made a big difference and was noticeable for sure. One positive in the whole experience is that I was able to feel the difference with each mod: CAI only, CAI and new tune, and finally, CAI, new tune and pulley swap. I also learned a lot about the SCT flasher and tuning theory just from the problems I had initially and everything I did to fix them. I probably spent 6-8 hrs on research and learning about all of it that I probably wouldn't have pursued otherwise... things do happen for a reason!:thinkerg:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.