Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the TVS with the smaller metco pulley and the auxiliary idler pulley. After about 50 miles of driving, I started noticing a squeal all the time...sounds like belt squeal. At Shelbyfest a few folks heard it and said it sounded like belt squeal, so I adjusted the auxiliary idler to it's tightest position...but the problem stayed the same. The belt does not appear glazed, the belt appears to be in alignment, and the auxiliary bearing seems ok when rotating it by hand. Any ideas?

I'm considering trying some belt dressing just to ensure it's the belt rather than one of the bearings.

Dave

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I have the TVS with the smaller metco pulley and the auxiliary idler pulley. After about 50 miles of driving, I started noticing a squeal all the time...sounds like belt squeal. At Shelbyfest a few folks heard it and said it sounded like belt squeal, so I adjusted the auxiliary idler to it's tightest position...but the problem stayed the same. The belt does not appear glazed, the belt appears to be in alignment, and the auxiliary bearing seems ok when rotating it by hand. Any ideas?

I'm considering trying some belt dressing just to ensure it's the belt rather than one of the bearings.

Dave
Mine started to do the same thing a while back but only when it was cold , once it warmed up it went away. Now it seems to be OK . I also checked out the idler bearing and found it to be fine.

Not sure I would put any belt dressing on the belt though , might make it worse.

Mine seemed to go away durring my 1200 mile trip to the OBX . Perhaps the new pulley on the SC needed to be worn in ?:shrug03:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I would never use belt dressing.

·
Registered
207 Posts
My idler pulley has made that noise on occosaison when it has sat for a few days. Goes away whem warmed up. When I replace it I'll go with a double bearing pulley.

·
Registered
172 Posts
dave

have you tried spraying some water mist on the belt while you have someone rev the motor?? if you hear any noise change at all that would seem to indicate a belt issue. As we discussed, I have some noise from my idler pulley, but changing to a higher end bearing made no difference, and your noise doesn't sound like my issue anyway. It really did sound to me like a belt issue.

John

·
Registered
28 Posts
you might put your hand down in there an make sure the ribs are seated right on the lower pulleys. I know it is easy to get them on a rib or two fat and not lining up just right on a couple of the pulley's down below. Not sure if that would make a noise or not but it is the only thing I can think of. We had to double check on mine last time and actually moved it forward one rim to get all of them seated right on the bottom.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Checked it out more thoroughly today. Definitely belt squeal. It's on the "back" side of the belt...I'd drip water on it while running and it would stop for a few seconds then return. One of the idler pulleys (the stock one) had some rubber on it...so my guess is that initially when I put the TVS on, it was slipping (the Metco idler was in the middle hole), which transferred belt material to the idler. The belt likely has gotten glazed from this slippage. For now I cleaned both idler pulleys with solvent and put the Metco idler to the tightest position. I'll see if the belt loses it's glaze now. If not, then I guess it's time for a new belt.

Bill, why did you say not to use belt dressing? Looks like I may be throwing my belt away unless you know of a way to remove the glazing.

Dave

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I have never gotten belt dressing to work.

All it does is make a mess of everything and makes it sticky so that dirt attracts to it.

And it splashes up on everything and the hood and makes a mess.

·
Registered
382 Posts
We see rubber traces on DPS Crown Vic idlers a lot. These cars come with a 200 amp alternator on them and the belt will squeal if traces of belt debris are one any of the pulleys, but the idler is the usual culprit.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Good to hear. Unfortuately i still got it, and it sucks royally. I pulled all the idlers & tensioner off, checked them (checked them for bearing wear and smoothness), and cleaned them. Installed and ran the car. Not much difference. Belt didn't appear to be glazed at all. Took some video and sent it to Fred for ideas. Can't believe the belt is bad, since i'm just over 6k miles, and didn't have this until after installing the TVS. It's driving me nutz! Subsides after about 5 min running. Guess i'll just have to try a new belt.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Good to hear. Unfortuately i still got it, and it sucks royally. I pulled all the idlers & tensioner off, checked them (checked them for bearing wear and smoothness), and cleaned them. Installed and ran the car. Not much difference. Belt didn't appear to be glazed at all. Took some video and sent it to Fred for ideas. Can't believe the belt is bad, since i'm just over 6k miles, and didn't have this until after installing the TVS. It's driving me nutz! Subsides after about 5 min running. Guess i'll just have to try a new belt.
I've always found that once a belt starts sqealing it never quits. I've already changed mine because it was (1) groove off on a bottom pulley when I installed the Stage 2. As soon as I started the car the belt was toast. It cut the edge of the belt and the cut piece got caught up in the rest of it.:ack:

·
Registered
795 Posts
OUCH...sorry to hear that Cal. Mine is on right...hehe. How much belt deflection did you have at the longest point? Trader mentioned something about his idler being in the middle hole and moved his to the tightest hole ???, but i only see one hole in mine. Or maybe he's got a different bracket. I don't know. I'm just nutz about it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts