Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Shelby GT500 Velocity Blue
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trunk allignment is off, will have dealer look at soon to see if simple fix, wish I noticed earlier.

Wonder what its from, factory or torque?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
32,658 Posts
It’s easy to adjust this yourself. Here is a video I did:

·
Registered
195 Posts
i am a auto body tech.
keep in mind the car isn't a solid block of steel cut by a CNC machine with no tolerances. there will be variances of a couple of mm in dimensions. this is due to assembly line tolerances in both the car body and the removable panels..
i regularly see cars that the sheet metal is 1-2mm longer on one side over the other and i work at a VW body shop that does a lot of high end BMW and MB cars. i recently repaired a audi R8 that had this problem that the owner never noticed.
getting proper sheet metal alignment is almost a art form. sheet metal will never fix EXACTLY perfect. there are compromises to get the approximate fit. you must decide where you want to compromise on fit. the most important thing is make sure the long gaps are straight.
when adjusting sheet metal the first thing i do is remove the latch. the metal can fit perfect but the latch can be off and throw everything off. after than keep in mind moving a panel for the upper right corner will change all the other 3 corners at the same time. you must think in 3 dimensions when adjusting sheet metal.
when aligning a T lid i start at the upper corners where it meets the glass.. i i also adjust where it meets the rear corners of the 1/4 panel. these points are NOT ADJUSTABLE.you have to find the compromise where it fits on all 4 corners at the same time. this point is where cars are longer on 1 side over the other is most easily seen. usually the rt side is slightly longer than the left. once you get straight side gaps and fitting corners you have finished adjusting part. to get the rest to fit you will probably have to bend something to get things to fit. this is where it starts to be a art form. tail lights not made properly, trim not made properly or are they just not adjusted properly. you have to decide that yourself. once you bend something it will be tough to return it. you also can cause damage to the panel when you bend it also.

it can take DAYS to get a hood or T lid to fit really well. the body shop doesn't get paid squat to do this. if you want it prefect you will have to do it yourself.
GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
2020 GT350R
263 Posts
Check the plastic applique to make sure it's properly secured to the deck lid or perhaps it's slightly warped.

·
Registered
2021, GT500, CFTP
9 Posts
My 2021 has the same thing and I called it out at walkthru. We checked the other 4 regular GT's on the lot and an ecoboost in the showroom... all of them were the same. I don't know if it's BS, but the head technician said it's designed that way as not to break when being closed forcefully. Without that slight skew, the black fascia bit would break if it all closed on contact at once was what I was told. Since other cars, different models had the same thing, I bought the story.

I also had a paint bubble in the driver doorsill, and their mobile paint guy wetsanded it down no questions asked.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Slightly off other side is a hair off

View attachment 216876
classic example of 1 side of the car is longer than the other side.
or possibly the trunk lid is made slightly out of square.
or most likely a combination of the 2

how is the fit at the tip rear of the 1/4 panel where it starts to curve down ?
my guess is this side is slightly longer than the 1/4 and the other side is slightly shorter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts