Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

Traveling to Shelbyfest 2019

9K views 136 replies 22 participants last post by  blackcad55 
#1 ·
As we are all aware, Shelbyfest 2019 is mere days away. Actually, it is close enough now that it can be counted down as hours. Well, at least for me, since I'm so looking forward to it!:bouncy:

Many members of this site are going to be hitting the roadways to embark on a great journey very soon. Many first time attendees will make this a great Shelbyfest indeed. Some are driving from near and some are driving from quite far away. All will have a common goal and destination in the end. Great times with old friends, meeting new friends, and amazing cars.

We all know the highways and byways are filled with a plethora of crazies. Be mindful of them and avoid them as much as possible. Enjoy the journey so you may enjoy the destination even more!

I look forward to seeing all the smiling faces and making more Shelby friends! I wish everyone safe and fun travels on whatever roads you will be tearing up on your way to Shelbyfest 2019! :grin:

#3 ·
I hate the rain, but as long as there is no hail, I can deal with it.

#4 ·
Great thread Raymond!

SuziQ and I will be hitting the road early Wednesday morning for a full day drive.

#8 ·
Missouri's roads were hit pretty hard this year with damage over the winter. There are several repair projects going on now.

You can look at the highways that are currently under construction on the modot website.

We are expecting rain this week and could be heavy in parts of Missouri. We will have to keep an eye on Hermann.

https://www.modot.org

Travel safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Most everyone here is on a first name basis esp some of the old timers .... and Yes i know tim as we all do and know what he looks like; I helped reptile aka "mike with no wheel" with his initial GT 350 purchase by answering some questions being a ford dealer and GT 350 owner .... but I know everyones screen name but not first names ..... AND I AM TERRIBLE AT FIRST NAMES .... so pls bear with me when we eventually meet

#18 ·
No worries! My first year I felt the same way. It's not about having to remember names on sight. It's about making memories, and having a blast doing it, so you can be sure to come back again.

Side note:

I just hit 1,000 posts WOOOHOOO! It only took me a little over six years to do it. No holding me back now! :grin:

#20 ·
Don't let it worry you, Don. The first year I attended, I was in the same boat! Ford Fest had made us all a lanyard and ID tag with our Car pic and our forum/real name on it. I still bring mine each year. Anyway, you'll get through it as most introduce themselves by their forum names and then the one their parents gave them! Take a little pocket pad along and take notes!

#34 · (Edited)
@'cause made it there in record time! He left here at 6:30 am Sunday morning and arrived at the Crowne Plaza hotel at 5:30 am Monday Arizona time (7:30am Missouri time) . Roughly 1400 miles with the last 3 hours of driving in a pouring rain. But he's there safe and sound :smile:

He wanted me to pass on this message......

FIRST !!!
>:)

RLTW

Attachments

#35 ·
@'cause made it there in record time! He left here at 6:30 am Sunday morning and arrived at the Crowne Plaza hotel at 5:30 am Monday Arizona time (7:30am Missouri time) . Roughly 1400 miles with the last 3 hours of driving in a pouring rain. But he's there safe and sound :smile:

He wanted me to pass on this message......

FIRST !!!
>:)
He really is an A**hole! >:) He sent that picture to mock me!! Glad he got there w/o any issues! Packing up today and will leave 0600 hrs. tomorrow. Seeing the photo makes me want to drive straight through, but I've got this whiney passenger that wants to eat and use the bathrooms during the trip. Geez what a kill joy! We'll spend the night at the Missouri border and see that big lug on Wednesday morning!

#36 · (Edited)
Glad he made it safely!

I put Road Warrior on the nose of my 4Runner for the trip. Gonna TRY to keep it nice for a while...

Leaving out tomorrow morning. Do some sight seeing and spend a night about halfway. Should arrive Jefferson City on Wednesday midday...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

#41 ·
Y'all haven't a clue!

I wnted to beat the storm, mostly there in AZ... things were 'flying' along nicely, untill SHE called as I had just stopped for a bit of a snooze. She said that there was a big storm headed to this area and I may want to get there before it hits.
So... I put it into 'overdrive' and in under three hours covered 280 miles!!! and the last hoiur, I was too late, it rained like a cow pissing on a flat rock! and the only other thing on the road were semi's... throwing water around like it was Free! what a mess it made of the car, the local radio station I have been listening to says it will storm for the next 2-3 days!!! It is still pouring down. And my car is a muddy mess.
But I did make it it in 23 hours, 1482 miles, accounting for pee/gas stops and such. I'd try not to let it get below a half tank, in the wee hours of the morning you never know if a station will be open or not.
I'm tired been up and runnin' now for over 30 hrs. I needs a nap.

#44 ·
This will be the first year that I have attended Shelbyfest where the weather seems to be so rain heavy. I know in previous years at Hermann there has been a lot of rain. But that was before my time attending.

I just looked at the National Weather Service forecast for Jefferson City. It is currently showing 40% chance of rain/storms on Wednesday, 50% chance of rain/storms Thursday, mostly sunny on Friday high of 71, and mostly sunny on Saturday high of 74.

I don't know how accurate this will be compared to the local Jefferson City weather guys. I know that the National Weather Service seems to be a lot more accurate compared to my local weather guys though. I am hoping that will hold true for Jefferson City. If that comes to be the case, then at least the day before and day of the show should be good.

Reactions: OMB and blackcad55
#45 ·
Travel plans shifting...due to weather.
Not leaving until Wed morning...for now.
Afternoon arrival in Jeff City.

We were planning to do some site seeing near Tulsa on Tuesday...weather made that too risky IMO.

Hopefully Wednesday will work.
Contingency plan is Thursday, if needed...

Someone needs to go and visit with Ken @'cause
LOL

#47 ·
Galen, they might just have to move the show down to the dungeon where all the popular kids already are. :rofl:

#53 · (Edited)
Suzi
He and two other stations are all about the continued prospect of rains. some put it at 50-60% and another is 70-90%... but we all know just how acurate they are, how does someone keep their job when they are wrong 60-70% of the TIME!!!!

Suzi don't worry, there is no way rain would fall on your car! THAT would be a universal crime against nature!

:wink:

It doesn't appear to have rained last night, seems to be a crap shoot. As soon as the sun rises (if it even does) here in Misseroury!

#54 ·
Suzi
He and two other stations are all about the continued prospect of rains. some put it at 50-60% and another is 70-90%... but we all know just how acurate they are, how does someone keep their job when they are wrong 60-70% of the TIME!!!!

Suzi don't worry, there is no way rain would fall on your car! THAT would be a universal crime against nature!

:wink:

It doesn't appear tohave rained last night, seems to be a crap shoot. As soon as the sun rises (if it even does) here in Misseroury!
Thanks Ken. Its and on and off thing here. Pop up showers here and there. So far nothing severe is predicted.

Reactions: blackcad55
#58 · (Edited)
Here is the current weather forecast for Jefferson City, MO from the National Weather Service website:

Attachments

#59 ·
I just got the Shelby loaded... I was able to do it between sprinkles and got it in the trailer dry. I’ve spent the last couple weeks intermittently working on this car. It very well might hide in the trailer until the show on Saturday. The Hermann fun run will be exciting in my F150! :bluecap:

Oh, forgot to mention... the damn cat damn near went on a trip to MO! :grim:

#61 ·
I just got the Shelby loaded... I was able to do it between sprinkles and got it in the trailer dry. I’ve spent the last couple weeks intermittently working on this car. It very well might hide in the trailer until the show on Saturday. The Hermann fun run will be exciting in my F150! :bluecap:

Oh, forgot to mention... the damn cat damn near went on a trip to MO! :grim:
We have one of those "damn" cats too! :laugh:

#72 ·
Yes, you should still try to make it. Like I've said before, it's more about the people and the memories than the cars. At least in my opinion anyhow. Having a car there would be great but if not, still come. It will still be worth it!

Sad news. My plans are cancelled for Shelyfest. Hate I will be missing it this year. Hope the weather clears up for everyone.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I hate to see this Galen. There is always next year. You and your family take care and plan for next year for sure!

Crap indeed...

Sorry you are there by yourself, Ken!

Further, I'm having serious doubts about even coming this year now.

Will watch the weather and reassess tomorrow morning....

Dang it all!

I hope you still can make it. I don't want people to start dropping out left and right.

I was just down in the Dungeon, it is full of cars, minivans, suv's and prius's....
Ken, are all the other levels full as well?

#65 ·
Crap indeed...

Sorry you are there by yourself, Ken!

Further, I'm having serious doubts about even coming this year now.

Will watch the weather and reassess tomorrow morning....

Dang it all!

#73 ·
. We've got a few days before the fun run and show so I'm being POSITIVE about things working out so we all can have a great time.

Okay … take it from an old guy with "weather bones", it is going to be just fine Thursday afternoon, Friday, and Saturday …. so just hold on tight, have another cold one of your choice, and laugh a little louder come Saturday, when we are all sitting around, shootin' the sheet, and holding our ears at the sound of horsepower ….. :lol: :lol:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.