Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 540 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed since I got my Shelby that I get a very slight grind going into 2nd gear. I doesn't happen all the time, especially when I shift slowly and deliberately. It mainly happens when it's cold. Once the car warms up, it's much less noticeable.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I take it to the shop to have someone take a look at it?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I've noticed since I got my Shelby that I get a very slight grind going into 2nd gear. I doesn't happen all the time, especially when I shift slowly and deliberately. It mainly happens when it's cold. Once the car warms up, it's much less noticeable.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I take it to the shop to have someone take a look at it?
That is exactly what I posted on 11/5/06 under "California Emissions - Need Help" post #12. It would be more noticeable when the tranny is cold. Hit second hard enough and really shift it and you will eventualy end up with no synchro in second.:mad: I would wait till it goes.:( I know that is not what you wanted to hear but I am only telling it like it is. Brought it in on Tuesday and am awaiting a reply from Ford. Will keep you posted rpretzel.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is exactly what I posted on 11/5/06 under "California Emissions - Need Help" post #12. It would be more noticeable when the tranny is cold. Hit second hard enough and really shift it and you will eventualy end up with no synchro in second.:mad: I would wait till it goes.:( I know that is not what you wanted to hear but I am only telling it like it is. Brought it in on Tuesday and am awaiting a reply from Ford. Will keep you posted rpretzel.
Thanks, shlbysvt. I went back and reread your posts regarding your transmission woes, and it sounds like yours started out just like mine.

Have you received any feedback yet from your dealer and/or Ford regarding the root cause? Is this a manufacturer's defect? Like I said, I've noticed this problem from day-one. I initially thought maybe it was just a new tranny that needed a little time to break in, but now that I have nearly 500 miles on her and it's still doing it, I'm concerned.

·
Registered
150 Posts
On mine the shifter is stiff into 2nd gear only when cold, , but never felt i had to *force* it into 2nd & there has not been gear-grinding noise.... 1900 miles now..... please keep us posted prez & shelbysvt.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On mine the shifter is stiff into 2nd gear only when cold, , but never felt i had to *force* it into 2nd & there has not been gear-grinding noise.... 1900 miles now..... please keep us posted prez & shelbysvt.
So far, mine still goes into 2nd pretty easily, there's just a slight grind on its way in sometimes. It's more that I can feeling it in the shifter rather than any audible grind. All the other gears are smooth as silk.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have the same issue. I now have ~6500 miles on it. I was told, from different sources, that this is normal for the Tremec. Not sure if I believe that, but that's what I was told.

If that's the case, then SHLBYSVT's issue might not be related to what we are experiencing. Meaning, if it is normal for the Tremec when cold, then it isn't an indicator that the synchros will go.

Again, I'm not sure that I'm buying that it's "normal".

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
If you push it, it will break. Drive it like you stole it and all hell will break loose. This is a muscle car and should be driven like one. If it can't take it then bring it back to the dealer. Just my opinion as I have found it's Achilles Heal. Don't know if my grammar or spelling is correct as I have had a liquid lunch since I Can't Drive My Shelby.:mad:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I remembered seeing this the other day at another forum, (sorry 07 SHELBY). I don't know where it came from but it looks like it's out of a technical bulletin. In part it said,

100-06A-3 Pre-Delivery - Passenger Car and Light Truck
NOTE: The Shelby GT500 equipped with a manual
transmission may exhibit a light "gear rollover"
noise while the clutch is engaged and the
transmission is in NEUTRAL. Gear rollover noise is
a normal characteristic under these condition. If the
noise is believed to be abnormally loud, compare
to a like unit before attempting any repair. Refer to
Workshop Manual Section 308 for additional
manual transmission diagnostic information.
transmission may exhibit a "gear rattle" noise from
the driveline during 1ST and 2ND gear slow or
gradual launch of the vehicle. The gear rattle noise
is only present in 1ST and 2ND gears and is
considered a normal characteristic caused by contact
pattern. The gear rattle noise has no effect on the
performance or durability of the vehicle.
Recommend comparison to a like unit. If the
symptom is excessive compared to a like unit, refer
to Workshop Manual Section 308 for additional

I'm not trying to minimize the problem if there is one. I would take it in if you suspect any transmission or clutch problem. I wouldn't wait.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I remembered seeing this the other day at another forum, (sorry 07 SHELBY). I don't know where it came from but it looks like it's out of techincal bulletin documentation. In part it said,

I'm not trying to minimize the problem if there is one. I would take it in if you suspect any transmission or clutch problem. I wouldn't wait.
None of the above. This is a second gear synchro problem. Not rollover noise or clutch hiss. I have driven many a clutch in my day, (pre synchro for that matter) and this is a PROBLEM! Push the damn thing any you Will Find Out! Friday and counting.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Hate to be a party pooper, but catch second while you can. Just my state of mind. Prez I may be looking for your seat!:D :D

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have the same issue. I now have ~6500 miles on it. I was told, from different sources, that this is normal for the Tremec. Not sure if I believe that, but that's what I was told.

If that's the case, then SHLBYSVT's issue might not be related to what we are experiencing. Meaning, if it is normal for the Tremec when cold, then it isn't an indicator that the synchros will go.

Again, I'm not sure that I'm buying that it's "normal".
Well, that makes me feel a little better. I think I'll just keep an eye on it to see if it gets any worse. It is a little annoying though.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I remembered seeing this the other day at another forum, (sorry 07 SHELBY). I don't know where it came from but it looks like it's out of a technical bulletin. In part it said,

No apology needed.This info came from the Ford computer system.It's called Ford Tech Service,it is used by dealerships,Ford employees and some schools.It is the computer version of the paper manual plus much,much more.It is updated often.It has bulletins,help pages,things to look for(for servicing cars).Yes it is true and I have read it myself.I have never driven mine in the cold so I can't comment on this.There are a few Shelby's out there that have had problems with second gear but not many.Those Ford will put new Trannys in.Untill you have problems like Shlbysvt,they can't do much.The manual says compare it to another Shelby but how many dealers have another Shelby to compare it to?They won't fix it either,if it is bad they will replace the tranny.You might not want to wait but you probably will have to.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Well, that makes me feel a little better. I think I'll just keep an eye on it to see if it gets any worse. It is a little annoying though.
You have to push it to find out. Driving it like it was a Secretary's car won't do you much good. If it shows any signs of weakness then bring it on.:mad: Man am I in a rare state of mind.:p Where's My New Tranny?:confused: Prez go with your gut reaction, no matter how hard it may be to take. Ignore it if you want, but you know it just is not right. 07 is right, they won't do much till it breaks so why wait? Get On It and find out.;) 1,600 miles on her and glad to say gave her a spanking when she deserved it.:D :D Orf not to question your 6,000 plus miles, but how often have you broken her loose from first to second?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, so it seems I probably have a problem, but Ford won't fix it until I have a catastrophic failure. That doesn't seem to make a lot of economic sense on Ford's part. Fix it early when you only have to replace a few parts, or wait until total meltdown and replace the entire tranny (and clutch?).

I guess I'll just have to drive her hard until 2nd gear is gone. :mad:

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
OK, so it seems I probably have a problem, but Ford won't fix it until I have a catastrophic failure. That doesn't seem to make a lot of economic sense on Ford's part. Fix it early when you only have to replace a few parts, or wait until total meltdown and replace the entire tranny (and clutch?).

I guess I'll just have to drive her hard until 2nd gear is gone. :mad:

Prez I am not sure you have a problem.Some of this is the nature of this tranny.If you can't get it into 2nd then you have a problem.It won't be a catastrophic problem and nothing else will go bad but 2nd gear.It will be covered by Tremec through Ford.On Svt models they won't fix the tranny they will replace it so SVT can take it apart and analyze it.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Prez I am not sure you have a problem.Some of this is the nature of this tranny.If you can't get it into 2nd then you have a problem.It won't be a catastrophic problem and nothing else will go bad but 2nd gear.It will be covered by Tremec through Ford.On Svt models they won't fix the tranny they will replace it so SVT can take it apart and analyze it.
OK, so I'm going a little overboard. You know me. That's why I'm the Prez! :D

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
07 I have the greatest respect for you but please do not try to minimize the problem. Second gear in my mind is an issue and I will leave it at that. Stay tuned for the replacement.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
OK, so I'm going a little overboard. You know me. That's why I'm the Prez! :D

I think somebody here is bucking for your job?He will have a lot of catching up to replace you.He's a little upset right now.Somebody else has his baby in their possession.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I think somebody here is bucking for your job?He will have a lot of catching up to replace you.He's a little upset right now.Somebody else has his baby in their possession.
You got that right 07. I am not a happy camper right now and I want to be PREZ!:D :D After all it's that time of year for running for office.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
07 I have the greatest respect for you but please do not try to minimize the problem. Second gear in my mind is an issue and I will leave it at that. Stay tuned for the replacement.:rolleyes:

Ok I won't say another word on this subject.I feel your pain.:confused: :confused:

1 - 20 of 540 Posts