Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update...

It's done...installed....and what a freakin difference. They installed my tri-ax shifter also. That clutch feels so much better, and now have to re-learn it. But will love doing so. The tech was awesome..as Bill knows. They installed a 08 tranny with 07 clutch and flywheel. :D He started at 830am, and i was driving out at 3pm.

Thanks Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He even went as far as showing me the difference. He put the old clutch on the old tranny and pushed it against the throwout bearing and it stayed, then did the same to the new ones, and even without greasing it yet, the throwout bearing pushed it right back out. Amazing difference.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
The throw out bearing is operated by hydrolic's.

How would you judge it's ability out of the car not hooked up to the master cylinder. The throw out bearing (CRC bearing) part number is the same as it has always been. It's not been changed. The same one is in the Mustang GT and the V6 pony car.

Fred can confirm.

Fred....chime in buddy !!!

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Wow. That's the worst looking of the shafts that I've seen. I wonder if your car sitting while you were overseas contributed to it's condition.

Cal

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Wow. That's the worst looking of the shafts that I've seen. I wonder if your car sitting while you were overseas contributed to it's condition.

Cal
I agree and from the looks of it I would have questioned the integrity of the pilot bearing.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

How would you judge it's ability out of the car not hooked up to the master cylinder. The throw out bearing (CRC bearing) part number is the same as it has always been. It's not been changed. The same one is in the Mustang GT and the V6 pony car.

Fred can confirm.

I understand your point on that, but the hydraulic's simply are used when pressing on the clutch pedal. With it out of the car, you can press against it with the clutch plate, which he did, and it stayed in. He did the same with the new setup, and it retracted the clutch plate. With no hydraulic's connected, there is no resistance. It's just what i observed.

Cal
Cal, i don't think it sitting for five months contributed. It was garaged the entire time. But what a difference it is.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts

Fred can confirm.

If the tech capped off the hydrolics, then he would have been able to simulate an extended CRC bearing and upon pushing the clutch over the input shaft may have been able to accomplish this. Would have taken an awful amount of pressure on his behalf to dissengage the cluth plates though. I do not think he is referring to a change in CRC bearings but the difference in the machining of the input shafts.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the tech capped off the hydrolics, then he would have been able to simulate an extended CRC bearing and upon pushing the clutch over the input shaft may have been able to accomplish this. Would have taken an awful amount of pressure on his behalf to dissengage the cluth plates though. I do not think he is referring to a change in CRC bearings but the difference in the machining of the input shafts.
Your correct about the shafts. I'm referring to the green boot as the CSC. I don't think he capped it off, as it was out of the car sitting on a tranny stand. All i know, is he picked up the old clutch, inserted it onto the shaft and pushed in...it stayed, whereas the new one did not. it slid back out. I'm no tranny expert, just relaying what i saw him do. Nonetheless....i drove the hell out of the car afterwards, and it was night and day, both in engaging the clutch and shifting.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Your correct about the shafts. I'm referring to the green boot as the CSC. I don't think he capped it off, as it was out of the car sitting on a tranny stand. All i know, is he picked up the old clutch, inserted it onto the shaft and pushed in...it stayed, whereas the new one did not. it slid back out. I'm no tranny expert, just relaying what i saw him do. Nonetheless....i drove the hell out of the car afterwards, and it was night and day, both in engaging the clutch and shifting.
The trannys are delivered with a cap that is inserted in the hydraulic line to keep dirt and grit from getting into the lines. He probably took the cap from the new tranny and used it on the old one. In order for the CSC bearing not to collapse when applying pressure with the clutch plates he would have had to cap off the line. You probably did not see him do this but I am sure he did. I think Grabber misunderstood what the tech was tryning to accomplish. Glad to hear all is well and best of luck with the new setup.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts