Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Traded my 2012 for a 2013

2007 - 2014 
7K views 57 replies 21 participants last post by  Leo1074 
#1 ·
I was on the fence on getting a 2013 gt500. I had a 2012 gt500 that was mint with only 8,000 miles with a factory ford warranty. Another ford dealer had a 2013 gt500 near me. I went down with mine and test drove there 2013 GT500. As soon as I started driving the car I could tell the differences from my 2012 it was a completely different ride than my 2012 GT500. The power was Unbelievable. The car sold me from the test drive. When I went back we made the deal which was a very good deal I thought. Yes,I did pay around 10 more thousand for this car but it was well worth it. The 2013 GT500 had all documentation plus it only had 6000 miles it was completely stock and I did get the factory Ford warranty with it. This car had the track package, the SVT package, navigation, and the regular shaker system in the car just like my other one except without the track package on the 2012. Also it’s the candy red.

#6 ·
Noice! Welcome to the "proper side". Fellow 13-14 owners know how superior their cars are to the earlier models and we love it when people trade up!* ENJOY!

*meant to be humorous since we all know ALL Shelbys are cool!

#7 ·
Fantastic! Congrats on the 2013! It’s beautiful! Thanks for sharing pics with us.

A forum tip: when uploading pics, you can use the 4th icon in your reply window like you did. This uploads a single picture. For multiple pictures, use the 1st icon (paper clip). Select up to 10 pics to upload them all at once into one post. You can then hit “Insert All Full Image” to load the full size images vs. clickable thumbnails of each pic.

Back to the cars... yes, Ford improved upon the GT500 through the years making each subsequent year grouping better than the previous... congrats again on scoring the pinnacle of the S197 GT500! ?

Reactions: Redcrushcamaro
#11 ·
Funny... and yes, it’s true. Depending on where you look, the 13/14s have a a 1/4 mile time of about 12 seconds. The 2020 does it in 10.6. The 2020 dominates in every performance category. Yes, Ford electronically governed the 2020 to 180 mph, so for those brave enough to go north of 180 and have the space to do it, the 2013/14 will eventually get you there. My question for the masses is who has taken a stock 13/14 north of 180? I’m ruling out modified cars since you could modify a 2020 to remove the governor as well. Me thinks very few 2013/14 owners have seen speeds north of 180 in their stock car, which really makes that ability irrelevant.

The 200 mph top speed for the 13/14 was basically a marketing strategy. It was a good one too since the public was shocked that they could buy a 200 mph Mustang! With that manufacture’s high speed target came long gears though that some 13/14 owners complained about.

#15 ·
Two words -- hell yes! Congrats! Yall are killing me with that ruby red color -- killer color! (y)

#18 ·
Random thoughts...

* Claiming the Fastest (top speed) GT500 produced for the 13-14 is really a straw-grasp/consolation prize, considering that if a guy in a 2020 GT500 agreed to race you to 200, you'd be so completely humiliated and so far behind the 2020 by the time he shut down, any feelings of "victory" as you finally came past would be compromised. Kind of like the same feeling when an enormous Pit Bull is charging you and about to rip your head off, but hits the end of his chain just a few feet before being able to pounce. You survived, you won, but you're lucky that sucker was chained to the tree. LOL...

* I'd imagine that stock vs. stock, jumping out of a 11-12 into a 13-14 would easily be worth the $10K premium! So many improvements, including the power. But since my 2011 had already been modified to 680 rwhp prior to the 2013's being released, I decided to be content. Anyhow, I respect your move..

* Them SVTPP wheels on the 13-14 make me cringe. My less-complicated 11-12 versions are already enough of a PITA to clean.

Enjoy IN GOOD HEALTH!!

#22 ·
Be interesting to see what the new 500 runs at The Texas Mile, post VIRUS.

The AERO on the 2020 GT500 may be an impediment to reach 200 as well as the final drive of the Auto Tranny.
Time will tell, as more get delivered, someone/magazine with will find the (ungoverned) terminal velocity of this amazing new GT500.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Performance car Automotive design

#19 ·
Wow. This guy is all stoked to have his "new to him" 13 GT500. One small comment to complement the 13-14 cars top speed prowess turns into a discounting of the poor car with a comparison to the 2020 performance.

OP, you got a fantastic car with incredible performance. Enjoy it. I personally love the look of the PP wheels.

#21 ·
We all love the 13/14 GT500... it’s a fantastic car! It is the pinnacle of evolution of the S197 GT500. The comments above were simply about the “fastest” claim since the 2020 is on a whole different level performance wise. This was not to knock the 13/14s... it’s apples to oranges.

It’s very similar to when the 07 GT500 came out. The Terminator faithful crowd didn’t like the new kid.

#25 ·
Sheesh guys, I didn't anticipate the wafer-thin-skin..

Since, well, forever, I've been outspoken regarding the 200 mph top speed thing being silly and irrelevant. That, in itself, does not take ANYTHING away from the wonderfulness of the car. Nothing whatsoever.

Didn't see that coming... ?

Reactions: Goose17
#28 ·
Sheesh guys, I didn't anticipate the wafer-thin-skin..

Since, well, forever, I've been outspoken regarding the 200 mph top speed thing being silly and irrelevant. That, in itself, does not take ANYTHING away from the wonderfulness of the car. Nothing whatsoever.

Didn't see that coming... ?
I brought it up because it seems more frequently we get reminded how awesome and better the 2020 GT500 is compared to all. This is especially true when performance is the topic.
Awareness is half the battle, nothing to do with thick or thin skin. If I view this with OP optics, I sure wouldn’t want to be reminded that the 2020 will crush my new to me 2013 in every way or the dislike of my wheels or other unsolicited personal preference opinions.

#26 ·
I think whatever Shelby you get (meaning whatever year, you have a very special car). There is always someone who is going to be faster, more expensive, newer, etc. I didn't really get it until I was run off the road and now have an accident report on my car. Until then it was driven only after having Swiss virgins wipe down the car on the inside, Belgian Monks taking care of the outside, and the local CDC in Hazmat suits cleaning me off.

Now I just drive it and realize it is just a car...a flipping kick a$$ car that can outrun a lot of chi chi cars that live where I do. While i wish I didn't have the accident report on the title, I do have more enjoyment in the car.

All years are awesome. it is just that the 2014's are the best...cause you know, I have one.

#27 ·
Always remember, there will always be a newer, shinier GT500 down the road. So every generation who thinks they are the king of the hill currently, will eventually be an old “ho-hum” GT500 at some point in time. To me, the best GT500 is a 1967-68 model, and always will be. Still, very proud and happy to own one, no matter the year. Now can we all just get along?

#34 ·
Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone’s got one.

My 2014 is exactly the car I wanted and I don’t give a rat’s ass whose car is "better" or "faster" than mine. Outside of this forum, I don’t even like to discuss my car with anyone. No car shows. No showing off. The only reason I own the car is for my own personal enjoyment and I consider myself lucky to be an owner of one of these fantastic cars.

We should ALL stop trying to one-up each other and take the time to realize that we are a small group of fortunate people with the same passion. Life is short, my friends. Enjoy the ride.

That said, my car can still go 200 MPH, so there.

#35 ·
#41 ·
Congrats on the '13! They're a blast! I love my 14! It is everything I wanted and more. There isnt a day that I dont get excited to turn the key and send it! Theres those who feel like they're king of the road and then there are those who know. I know there are faster cars out there, but I haven't found 1 yet. That day will come I'm sure, but unless it's another shelby, it's just another car.:cool::cool::cool:

Reactions: 03reptile
#42 ·
I love my 2013 GT500 and so should you! :) It's the last of the stick axle Shelby drivers cars! Solid axle, 6 speed throw your own gearbox! And Randy Pobst got a stock 2013 GT500 to 196 mph on the Chrysler proving grounds in Arizona. :)

#44 ·
GREAT video! Thanks for sharing. The scenery and footage of that rocketing down the straight aways was just awesome.

I noticed that on the first two attempts he was running the loop clockwise and on third attempt he was running it counter clockwise (normal to me). Wonder why that is/was?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.