Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been registered here for awhile, but shelved my GT500 plans early on with all the markups. Well I stumbled onto a lot with a pile of mustangs with snake tattoos and decided to play the game a little.
Much to my surprise they were willing to work pretty hard and I ended up getting good money for my old 02 GT and the snake at 3k off MSRP.

So it's the end of a long chapter, and the start of a new one. I purchased my 02 new and spent a lot of time and coin on it. Two superchargers, MM suspension, few sets of rims/tires, built axle, and a hundred other things over the 6 years. She was a trooper, but lately was transitioning from a couple niggling issues to some semi major stuff. So off she goes to the auction block probably and in comes the new one.

Delivery tomorrow morning since it was late and pouring rain when we finished up the papers. Here's to sleepless nights and sweet rides. Cheers gents.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Congrats... Now hurry up and let the mods begin....!!!!!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Wow! Finally got one 3 years after joining this forum. That's got to be a record.

Congrats on your new Shelby!

Arbour88

·
Registered
67 Posts
Congratulations.. I'm lovin' my new one. Looks like Santa is making a run on new GT500's for christmas presents. lol :rofl:

·
Registered
191 Posts
That's great news! Congratulations.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Congrats! Great price!:cheers:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the welcome. Spent all day with it and its a pleasure to drive. Gets a lot more attention than I am used to.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!

Wow! Finally got one 3 years after joining this forum. That's got to be a record.

Congrats on your new Shelby!

Arbour88
I bet I'll beat that record! We were planning on an '07/'08 for my wife, but with the '10's out, she likes the look of that car better and I imagine the '10 Cobra will look just as mean so it looks like we're several more years off from getting one now. In fact, my guess is we won't get one till about 2013 or 2014 now. Good thing for us that we're patient and can wait for them to depreciate. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
While I'm a firm believer in the ol' "it's your money, buy what you want" I have to add to the above post.

You waited three years after the '07's only to find you like the '10's new bodystyle better. So you're going to wait till '13 or '14 now? What happens when 2013 rolls around, and you've been waiting 7 model years and the 2014's come out with ANOTHER new body that you like better? How many more years are you gonna wait then? When do you get to the fun, "driving the hell out of it" part? lol

Like I said, there's plenty to be said for living your life in a way that makes you happy. But, there's also something to be said for living your life for today as well. Tomorrow isn't promised, to paraphrase the old saying.

Something to think about. :cheers:

·
Registered
933 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!

I bet I'll beat that record! We were planning on an '07/'08 for my wife, but with the '10's out, she likes the look of that car better and I imagine the '10 Cobra will look just as mean so it looks like we're several more years off from getting one now. In fact, my guess is we won't get one till about 2013 or 2014 now. Good thing for us that we're patient and can wait for them to depreciate. :)

I too, like the upcoming body style and that's good for you and your wife, but I just hope they are still making the GT500 by 2013 and/or 2014. From what we've (well mostly the U.S.) has been experiencing with the economy lately, the future for these types of automobiles may be short lived. Live for today as with the impending bailout restrictions that will be part of the deal from congress, these cars may not be here tomorrow.

Regardless, good luck and hope you can get your hands on 1 because they are a real gem to drive.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Arbour88

·
Registered
547 Posts
While I'm a firm believer in the ol' "it's your money, buy what you want" I have to add to the above post.

You waited three years after the '07's only to find you like the '10's new bodystyle better. So you're going to wait till '13 or '14 now? What happens when 2013 rolls around, and you've been waiting 7 model years and the 2014's come out with ANOTHER new body that you like better? How many more years are you gonna wait then? When do you get to the fun, "driving the hell out of it" part? lol

Like I said, there's plenty to be said for living your life in a way that makes you happy. But, there's also something to be said for living your life for today as well. Tomorrow isn't promised, to paraphrase the old saying.

Something to think about. :cheers:
Well I should probably clear up a few things then. I'm about the most patient person on the planet when it comes to having to have something as expensive as one of these cars and my wife and I aren't in a position to own one at the moment since we're not sure how much longer she'll have her job in this economy. I personally refuse to pay over 30-35k for one of these cars as I just don't want to spend more than that for a fun car so to speak. I spent more than 40k on my F-250 Power Stroke, but I just personally can't justify spending that much on a car. The truck is a workhorse and gets used year round. As far as the fun, well I already own a '70 Mach 1 with a 427 that has more hp than the stock GT500 and its been paid for well over 18 years ago. If I want a more refined ride, then I'll hop in the '04 Mach 1 and take a spin. It doesn't have the hp that the GT500 does, but it cost less than half as well so I can't complain. So I am pretty happy with my rides even though we don't have a GT500. I'll enjoy my friends having one. I am only speaking for myself too. If we hadn't moved to Michigan last year both my wife and I would be in a much better financial situation and I know my wife would have likely bought a brand new GT500 since Las Vegas would have been somewhere she could have used the car as her daily driver. :) I personally look at it that I'm glad someone can afford to buy these cars new so once they're depreciated I can buy them used down the road. I waited 4 years to buy my '04 Mach 1. I should have waited one more year because the price really dropped the year after I got it but so did all car prices really in that time. I can personally wait longer for the GT500. Without a doubt though, if we were financially set, then I'm sure we would probably already own one so finances are the major reason we don't own one. We know what we can afford and the GT500 isn't high on the list of things we need or I should say want right now or anytime in the future, but I do love the cars and am happy that Ford came out with such a fantastic car and for all of you that can afford one I commend you on owning a great car and hope you continue to have a lot of fun. Hopefully someday we'll get one, but if not, so be it. I'll be happy to just enjoy my classic Mustangs too and appreciate all other Mustangs. :) So that being said now you understand why it could be a long time before we own a GT500. If we won the lottery tomorrow, we'd probably go buy a super snake right off the bat though. I'm just glad to hear that you purchased your car and are going to drive it vs looking at it sitting in a garage. :)

·
Registered
933 Posts
I didn't catch that you were looking for a used one. In that case you should do fine in 4 or 5 years.

I unfortunately will be staring at mine in the garage for the next 3 (maybe 4) months, but not for the lack of not wanting to drive it, solely due to winter. We currently have over a foot and a half of snow on the ground and it will not be going away anytime soon. Over the past 3 weeks we've been experiencing some dreadfully cold temps. From around the 9th of December until yesterday we were in the range from a low of minus 40 farenheit to a few days in the zero range. Yesterday was our first day with half decent temps and we hit a high of 20, so with winter just starting, I'm stuck looking and not driving.

It gets pretty cold in the prairies.

All the best!

Arbour88

·
Registered
547 Posts
Yeah, I guess buying used is quite an advantage for me because if something else comes along like maybe a Boss Mustang in the future that we'd rather have than a GT500, then maybe we'll look at that. Who knows.

I hear you on the parked cars. We're in full swing with winter here in MI too. The cars were put away very early November this year and are sitting nestled under their covers with battery tenders on them.

I know all about the prairies being cold. I grew up on South Dakota. With no trees to stop the wind and just about every day being windy it's a bit rough out there.

Have a great Christmas! :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeah, we're in "full swing" winter down here in South Texas too. Christmas night and it's a frosty 70*. :rofl:

I read your reply and I understand completely as to the financial aspect of these cars, i.e. they're freakin' expensive. lol I hope I didn't offend you with my reply as it certainly wasn't my intent. My only point was, as he said in "Risky Business"... "Sometimes ya just have to say, 'What the f***!'"

In the meantime, I'll post up a bunch of warm winter driving experiences for you northerners. ;)

·
Registered
547 Posts
No offense taken at all! :)

Us northerners have to live vicariously through you southerners since we don't get to drive our cars year round. It is one thing I miss from Nevada.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would like to brag about the weather down here in AZ but it has been raining off and on everyday and the snake is caged in the garage. I did get it polished with a glaze and sealed with some wax. Never owned a black vehicle so I'm being a bit fanatical about it.

The paint looks a 1000 feet deep right now, like staring in to a flat sea on a moonless night.
/swoon

1 - 18 of 18 Posts