Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help guys and gals! Grudge match this Friday, June 12th at Cordova Dragway against 04 ZO1 Corvette. Running 530 rwhp with 3.73 gears on stock tires. Do I have traction control on or off? I've read both ways on different forums. We get 2 practice runs and then best of 5.

·
Registered
658 Posts
unless you are a very proficient 1/4 miler, leave it on

·
Registered
48 Posts
leave it off...it kills momentum and will slow you down even on shifts. Practice a few times on the street and find the sweet spot. I've found letting it bog just a hair and then rolling into the throttle in first works fairly well. I think I usually rev to about 2500 and let the clutch out fairly quick about halfway to get the initial hit then slip it a little then roll into the throttle. About the time I get to WOT its time to grab second.

Does this guy drag race alot? It should be a good race.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I need help guys and gals! Grudge match this Friday, June 12th at Cordova Dragway against 04 ZO1 Corvette. Running 530 rwhp with 3.73 gears on stock tires. Do I have traction control on or off? I've read both ways on different forums. We get 2 practice runs and then best of 5.
I definitely would like to know who wins and if you used traction control. My bother has an 04 Z06 and I'd like to run him and hopefully embarrass his ass.

Those out there that have run the earlier Z06's, will a GT 500 w/Evolution Stage II kit take it?

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ran all runs with traction control off.
Two test runs, first run got sideways going into third and almost hit the wall.
Second run went really well, 12.640 at 116.95. (My personal best)
1st grudge run, had trouble getting into 2nd gear, ZO6 went from 2nd to 5th but still managed to stay ahead of me.
2nd grudge run, I fell asleep and left late. gained on him but lost by a car. 12.853.
3rd grudge run, the rains came. So the best of 5 wager is not officially been ran.

Next time I go, I'm thinking about trying to start off in second gear. Any comments?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
1st grudge run, had trouble getting into 2nd gear, ZO6 went from 2nd to 5th but still managed to stay ahead of me.
2nd grudge run, I fell asleep and left late. gained on him but lost by a car. 12.853.
3rd grudge run, the rains came. So the best of 5 wager is not officially been ran.

Next time I go, I'm thinking about trying to start off in second gear. Any comments?[/QUOTE

Second gear is 1.78 and may be a little high to start off in second with a 3.73 rear. I intend to try it with my modified second at 2.07 but am waiting till I install a 3.73 rear. All in all I think you did just fine indy. Better luck next time.

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts

Next time I go, I'm thinking about trying to start off in second gear. Any comments?
The car and TC can actually be tuned for more progressive inputs (ie it won't just kill your car when you nail it). But, I only know one tuner that's messed with it and that's Jon Lund. I have it on one of my tunes. IF you had that you could use it and frankly you'd run better. Since you don't........

You can't do a burnout with it on, so turn it off. If you have water, do your burnout in second and modulate it with the throttle.

Do NOT try to launch in 2nd. If you bog, you're done. If you break loose, you'll have so much speed headroom that you'll never be able to recover (remember, you can be spinning at well over 65mph, so there's no way you can just let off and pedal it off the line if you break loose).

Use first, but be prepared to grab second in a hurry with 3.73's.

That's the shift you need to get good at. It happens quickly. DO NOT try to speed shift. Just throttle/clutch as usual, just much faster.

As for the 2-3 shift, don't try to "find" 3rd. Just push the shifter forward, it'll go there and you have little to no chance of hitting 5th that way.

Set your rev limiter to 6,400 rpms (not your buzzer/light on the dash, the rev limiter you can adjust with your handheld tuner).

Leave at 3,000 rpms and practice letting the clutch out progressively but quickly as opposed to just dumping it.

I didn't look over your sig, but if you're on the stock Goodyear F1's, you're SOL for traction. You can do a short burn (and I DO mean short) just to clean them. Heating them just makes them slick. Pressure changes won't matter. They're crap.

With stock height tires and your gears you'll trip the lights in 4th gear at about 6100-6200 rpms. Don't let off til you've passed them.

You've got enough horsepower to get your heavy, boxy car to 120-121mph in a 1/4 mile. That's good for low 11's if you can launch and once you've minimized time-wasters like bad shifting. You'll find that these things pull like a freight train on the back half of the track. So, power's not your concern...
leaving is. You'd have to be an outstanding driver to get a sub-2 sec 60ft time on stock tires. Good 60 ft times on drag radials can be had on a great day in the sub 1.50 range. Slicks will net you 1.30s with lots of practice.

There ya go. Go have fun. Be VERY careful (because you CAN break that car loose hitting third and that's a really shi*tty feeling).

With practice (and if the Z06 is stock) you will beat him.

bj

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
I definitely would like to know who wins and if you used traction control. My bother has an 04 Z06 and I'd like to run him and hopefully embarrass his ass.

Those out there that have run the earlier Z06's, will a GT 500 w/Evolution Stage II kit take it?
Earlier Z06's yes. Later ones, no. A track rat at Maryland International Raceway did a 10.9 in a completely stock C6 Z on stock run-flats. Lots of power and super aeros.

bj

1 - 8 of 8 Posts