Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read where people talk about turning their traction control on and off. Wondering if mine was turned on, I thumbed through the manual to see how I could tell. I also wanted to know how to switch it so I could decide what my taste was, on or off. After reading the manual and looking in my car, I have come to the conclusion that I don't have this option. It took me some time to try to figure out where it should be located, but it isn't there. There is a dummy switch, that really isn't even a switch because you can't push it in like the hazzard right next to it.

Question is, did they totally eliminate the traction control option or did they make it so that you can't turn it on or off? My car was built on 11/29. Does anyone with a similar build date have the button to turn it on and off?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've read where people talk about turning their traction control on and off. Wondering if mine was turned on, I thumbed through the manual to see how I could tell. I also wanted to know how to switch it so I could decide what my taste was, on or off. After reading the manual and looking in my car, I have come to the conclusion that I don't have this option. It took me some time to try to figure out where it should be located, but it isn't there. There is a dummy switch, that really isn't even a switch because you can't push it in like the hazzard right next to it.

Question is, did they totally eliminate the traction control option or did they make it so that you can't turn it on or off? My car was built on 11/29. Does anyone with a similar build date have the button to turn it on and off?
Should be there. Its to the right of your power outlet on your dash above your radio. It says TCS on it. When you start your car it is always on and you have to push the button to turn it off. Unless you are very experienced at a track you will be much better off to leave it on. Even experienced drag racers only improve their times by very little turning it off.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
It defaults to on, and you have to turn it off each time. I can go into the tune and turn it off all the time, but the message center will give you an error all the time too.

There are some places that make a little box that remembers whether it was on or off last, and turn it off when you start the car, if that was the last position.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The thing is that, where the button should be, there is no button in my car. It looks like the button is there but it doesn't do anything, not even push in. The letters TCS are no where in the vehicle, even when I turn the key to where all the lights come on in the vehicle.

07, do you know if they removed the option to switch it off?

·
Registered
135 Posts
The thing is that, where the button should be, there is no button in my car. It looks like the button is there but it doesn't do anything, not even push in. The letters TCS are no where in the vehicle, even when I turn the key to where all the lights come on in the vehicle.

NO one on the forum can help you more than your dealer... thats where I would ask about it.

·
Registered
300 Posts

Since you sig and profile do not indicate, where are you and are you driving a GT500? All US spec GT500s have traction control and the TCS switch. If you have a GT500, in the US and no TCS swtich, take it to your dealer and have it fixed. Perhaps the wrong cluster was installed on your car.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

The TCS is on all Shelbys and GT's and it has not been removed.Like AC Cobra said it is to the right of the power point.The 1st button is TCS to the right of the TCS is emergency flasher and there is a 3rd button but I don't remember off hand what it is.If there is not a button there the factory put the wrong module in, probably from the V6.Take it to the dealer and have them order it under warranty.Sorry but that's probably what happened!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. There must have been a mix up and I got the V6 version. I can see exactly where it should be but it's not there. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't removed intentionally. I'll take it to the dealer and see what they say. I hope the required wiring is behind the dummy plate and they just need to install the switch and hook it up.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Thanks. There must have been a mix up and I got the V6 version. I can see exactly where it should be but it's not there. I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't removed intentionally. I'll take it to the dealer and see what they say. I hope the required wiring is behind the dummy plate and they just need to install the switch and hook it up.

I am sure the wiring is there,but all the modules are interchangeable and someone wasn't paying attention when it was installed.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Car must have been built on a Friday. :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
It was actually built the week after Thanksgiving. The guy that normally puts that in must have been on vacation that week.:rolleyes:
Or too much tryptophan from Turkey Day dinner made the installer tired and mistake prone. :rolleyes: :D

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Or too much tryptophan from Turkey Day dinner made the installer tired and mistake prone. :rolleyes: :D

If you keep using words like that you will never get your Shelby!:D Lol!

·
Registered
257 Posts
I'd leave it just the way it is...You don't need no stinking TCS...and besides, 30 years from now when its the only car in the Shelby Worldwide Registry that didn't get one from the factory it might be just a speck more desirable...I figure mine will be broke by then anyway...:)

But then again, its probably in the 'On' position (because this is what it defaults to when the car is shut off)...you'll have more fun with it turned 'Off', but BE VERY CAREFUL :eek:

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Speaking of traction control what is it doing when on... Does it limit torque, change posi on or off.. I don't have a clear understand of it. I know before the tune or air intake spinning in 1st very little...of course now on/off doesn't matter can't keep it in a straight line :). On some calls traction control limits torque to keep you from spinning in 1st gear just not sure about the Shelby ?

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Speaking of traction control what is it doing when on... Does it limit torque, change posi on or off.. I don't have a clear understand of it. I know before the tune or air intake spinning in 1st very little...of course now on/off doesn't matter can't keep it in a straight line :). On some calls traction control limits torque to keep you from spinning in 1st gear just not sure about the Shelby ?
On Fords, TCS applies the rear brakes at lower speeds, and reduces engine power by closing the throttle plate (before ETC came about in 05+ it would cut spark).

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Thank you Justin... I knew it had to be something there is a big difference when it is ON or OFF.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When I took it in, they said that they had to order the parts and would call me when they came in. That was a couple weeks ago and I haven't heard from them yet. I need to call them and see what's up. If they don't have the part yet, I may just call Ford Quality, send them a picture and get a case number. Then the error would be documented by Ford and I could have a documented one off vehicle. We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
When I took it in, they said that they had to order the parts and would call me when they came in. That was a couple weeks ago and I haven't heard from them yet. I need to call them and see what's up. If they don't have the part yet, I may just call Ford Quality, send them a picture and get a case number. Then the error would be documented by Ford and I could have a documented one off vehicle. We'll see what happens.
Get it documented and leave it as is. Just my 2 cents.;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts