Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the new GTs seem to be doing pretty well with the 3 link suspension setup...I'm guessing the 500 won't have much of a problem in stock or near stock trim. Only thing that's gonna hinder this beast it the fact that it's heavy, what with the iron block and bigger wheels, brakes, etc. 3800+lbs!! Going over the specs and projected numbers in the mid 12s at about 115-116mph, makes me wonder what they're gonna be laying down once the boys in Jersey and Houston get a hold of theirs. Dare I say a stock car nipping an 11.9999?? ;) :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
sea level I expect to see mid to low twelves however I dont see it kissing 11s with the weight and the amount of actual power it is estimated to produce.

member its only a little 5.4 with a twinscrew (stolen from whipple I might add) though it does come with forged pistons its still the ca ca fomoco I beam rods. turning up the boost will not be like the 03-04's IMO. it will be good to see.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Twinscrew? Eatons are twinscrews? Yea but the power that it is said to be making may not be the actual power it comes with. Could be much like the Terminator Cobras, which went mid 12s bone stock with good driving on a killer day.

·
Registered
124 Posts
07 is an Eaton. I read they couldn't guarentee enough twin screw units to meet production.
The Ford GT engine is force-fed by a Lysholm screw-type supercharger; the GT500 will use an Eaton R122 Roots-type blower and an air-to-liquid intercooler, adding 10 psi to the intake system at peak boost
Last I heard, but I don't keep up much. Kind of a bummer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Spitfire said:
07 is an Eaton. I read they couldn't guarentee enough twin screw units to meet production.

Last I heard, but I don't keep up much. Kind of a bummer.
owned by the great spitfire... LOL interesting... wow I need to polish up...

·
Registered
117 Posts
The rods used in the '03-'04 Cobras were Manley, just as they will be in the GT500. I'm sure the shortblock will handle considerably more power than they are being delivered with. Having a 2005 Mustang GT, I can tell you that there will be a ton ofpower to be found with nothing more than a quality tune.

·
Registered
81 Posts
...Alls I know is the Shelby GT500 is proclaimed by Ford as the fastest production mustang ever!!!,,,,I see mid 12's when it comes out,...and with tweaks to the 5.4L with the same heads as the Ford GT,.....I see this car no problem getting high11's!!...weight and all.;) :cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
When the published times come out, they will probably have it at 12.7, but I imagine they will run at least a 12.5 and I really hope they run 12.2s. Only time will tell, but with a set of slicks and gears I bet they will be in the 11s.

·
Registered
64 Posts
3664 - 2004 Ford Cobra curb weight

3800-3900 - 2007 Ford Cobra curb weight

stock 04's ran 12.9/12.8

now the new one has 110 more ponies but only weighs 250 ish more, does the weight out due the hp ? I would imagine mid 12's

·
Registered
5 Posts
The weight doesnt negate the horsepower, but it does take a pretty big chunk out of the 1/4 time. There really isnt a formula for weight vs horsepower but from what I always heard, every 200 lbs is soppose to equal 3/10s a second. I also heard that every 10 horsepower is soppose to be 1/10 a second. So with 110 more horsepower, it should be 1.1 seconds faster, but with the 150-250 lbs it will be slowed down by around 3/10th a second. The end result from this "logic" should be 8/10s faster or around low 12s. However, this theory is far from fact because of so many other variables and for the simple fact that 1/4 mile times are not linear. Meaning that just because it takes 200 horsepower to run 14s, doesnt mean it should take twice the horsepower to run 7s. In either event, the cobra is going to be fast enough for me....especially after the mods start :D

·
Premium Member
866 Posts
Getting into 11 bracket should be under $ 2500.00 depending on how much you can do yourself vs paying someone the labor. The very first thing is to get rid of those 3.31 gears, they are in the car for gas mileage to keep it from being hit so hard with Gas Guzzler Tax (Which it is getting hit with ) First Mustang I had was a new 83 GT and it had 3.08 gears, when I went to 4.10's it was a whole new beast. For driving on the street and some time at the strip the better gear will be 3.73 which will cost you approx $ 180 to $ 220.00 for the gears. New gasket and fluid another $ 50.00 est. Believe me just gear change and this thing will be like a whole new car. A little less gas mileage but I have a 03 focus for that :) But who can stop there, you will need some type of Air - Intake system, reflash computer, Exhaust 3 inch, high flow Cat's (which it has or maybe NO cat's depending where you live and can get away with) ( I don't run them :) ) pulley change on the charger, underdrive pulley on the crank all those mods are around $ 2500.00 and considered bolt on's. For those wanting every little bit a set of headers will help (hate the tightening all the time till they seat in so I will skip that step) hotter inginiton, dyno tune the computer instead of downloading maps. But the rest I will do for sure and those mods should be worth at least 50HP at the motor. Check some sites and see what has been done with a 03 cobra doing the same mods above how much HP they have gotten out of them and still have a driveable car. Plus you can put it back stock to keep the value when you... if you ever sell it. I have a sickness like allot of people no matter what it is I have to change it :) I bought at the time the fastest production motorcycle built a 2005 Hayabusa ( http://www.flairphoto.com/busa.htm) which runs 9.98 1/4 and have had it to 180 using a corrected Speedo and that was not enough I still spent over $ 3000.00 in mods to make it faster, lighter, and different than stock (Go to the address above to see) So believe me when I say mine is going to get worked on and being 45 minutes from a 1/4 mile drag strip it will make a couple passes in its life :) ! ! ! I am looking for 11's

Bill (busababy)

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'd be really suprised if the GT500 (not the pre-preoduction units C&D and R&T drove which were set rich, with traction control on and an early flash on the Spanish Oak) as a production unit, broken-in, with street-slicks dosn't run 11.90 and 100-teens. It's main problem is traction (57/43 weight distrib) and 3920lbs, but hooking it up with the right street stickys and some seat-time/solid shifts and it's into the 11s for this puppy.

I also expect that by SEMA in November, there'll be several kits to re-flash the S.O. chip and overdrive the blower to 12PSI. That with low restriction intake and muffs, will get you to just about 650 crankHP -- the design point for the botom end of the engine and the drivetrain (the rearend looks the same as the GT but the gearset and bearings are hardened). So, an afternoon in your driveway should get you and 1/2 sec off those times!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
busababy...you have a sickness that is oh so sweet. I will be looking forward to your posts about what you do to your cobra, and if you don't mind, I will be doing the same mods...

I have a 2002 TLs (I had to have v-twin power)...zuki seems to know what they are doing with their bikes!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just read the MM&FF article and they got it down to 12.24(ish). this will be a 10 second car with modest mods(and the right driver). The question is though, do you want it to be a 10 second car. My local track makes it manditory that if you are faster then 11 seconds you MUST have a roll cage in the car. I don't think I will be installing a roll cage in my gt500

1 - 20 of 30 Posts