Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the TMS communicate to the car?

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Re: Tms

Kerry are you talking "Temperature" or "TPMS -Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems"?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Kerry are you talking "Temperature" or "TPMS -Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems"?
Sorry Fred but yes I ment Tire pressure monitoring System.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

The TPMS communicates to the car through the SJB/GEM(smart junction box/generic electronic module)The actual sensor that is banded around the inside of your wheel works off of a pressure switch.If the tire pressure gets to low the TPMS sends a signal to the SJB and the SJB turns on your console light.After you put more pressure in the tire the TPMS sends the signal to the SJB saying I have enough pressure.You will have to drive the car so the sensor can turn the light back off.It has to be "woke up".It is woke up through the perpetual motion of the wheel.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

The TPMS communicates to the car through the SJB/GEM(smart junction box/generic electronic module)The actual sensor that is banded around the inside of your wheel works off of a pressure switch.If the tire pressure gets to low the TPMS sends a signal to the SJB and the SJB turns on your console light.After you put more pressure in the tire the TPMS sends the signal to the SJB saying I have enough pressure.You will have to drive the car so the sensor can turn the light back off.It has to be "woke up".It is woke up through the perpetual motion of the wheel.

I will add this to the above statement;

The TPMS talks to the SJB through RF(radio frequency).The 07 Shelbys have an external antenna at the SJB and the 08's have an antenna incorporated into the SJB.I hope this answers your question.:)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

It has to be "woke up".It is woke up through the perpetual motion of the wheel.
You make it sound like the idea to "bypass" this might not work. If I go to new rims, I was going to take the sensors and put them in a PVC tube, capped on both ends, pumped up to 34 psi, and put the tube in the trunk. I figure it would fool the system so no light would come on. I guess I wouldn't be able to "woke up" the system through perpetual motion, though.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

You make it sound like the idea to "bypass" this might not work. If I go to new rims, I was going to take the sensors and put them in a PVC tube, capped on both ends, pumped up to 34 psi, and put the tube in the trunk. I figure it would fool the system so no light would come on. I guess I wouldn't be able to "woke up" the system through perpetual motion, though.

I have never tried it but I don't think it will.I read over at SU that someone had done that.You would have to put all 4 sensors in the tube pressurize it and tie wrap it to 1 of the wheels and drive it till the light went off and then through it in the trunk.:)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

I have never tried it but I don't think it will.I read over at SU that someone had done that.You would have to put all 4 sensors in the tube pressurize it and tie wrap it to 1 of the wheels and drive it till the light went off and then through it in the trunk.:)
Or I could just pull the wires from the light.

·
Registered
861 Posts

guy at the dealership told me it comes on if any tire is not with in 2 psi of the others. it that is true then you could take them all out and put them in the trunk and they would all have the same PSI----0. if what he told me is true it should work.
JJ

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I will add this to the above statement;

The TPMS talks to the SJB through RF(radio frequency).The 07 Shelbys have an external antenna at the SJB and the 08's have an antenna incorporated into the SJB.I hope this answers your question.:)
Yes Fred you have answered it very nicely now you made me to be a little more smarter:rolleyes: Thanks:D

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

guy at the dealership told me it comes on if any tire is not with in 2 psi of the others. it that is true then you could take them all out and put them in the trunk and they would all have the same PSI----0. if what he told me is true it should work.
JJ

You have a low psi limit of about 5 psi between all 4 tires.There is no limit on the high side though.So, lets say 3 tires are at 35 psi and 1 tire is at 29 psi,your idiot light will come on(low side).On the other end, you could could have 3 tires at 35 psi and 1 at 41 psi and no idiot light will come on(high side).If you don't have the perpetual motion to "wake up" the sensors your light will come on.The wake up MPH is between 30 mph and 32 mph,so throwing them in the trunk will not do the trick.I hope this is clear.:)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

It sure seems to me that Ford spend an inordinate amount of effort in engineering these sensors in a way they could not be overridden. If they would have spent a more reasonable amount of effort, the car would have cost about $10K less.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

It sure seems to me that Ford spend an inordinate amount of effort in engineering these sensors in a way they could not be overridden. If they would have spent a more reasonable amount of effort, the car would have cost about $10K less.
Rick there are a lot of electrical engineered components on this car like that.I think this has a lot to do with the government and liability.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

Rick there are a lot of electrical engineered components on this car like that.I think this has a lot to do with the government and liability.
I wish the government would stop taking care of me!!!!!! I can take care of myself, thank you.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts

I wish the government would stop taking care of me!!!!!! I can take care of myself, thank you.
But how would you then justify all the government employees?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts