Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. The one thing I'm disappointed with about the new Shelby is it's top speed. I know this is a controversial topic since some of you say you shouldn't be taking this thing up to top speed unless you are on a track. However, I live in the midwest with wide-open highways for miles with no traffic (or little). If I wreck and die, I'll only kill myself, not anyone else. As a former 2002 SVT Lightning owner I took my truck to its top speed (142 MPH) several times, and I plan on doing that with my Shelby whenever I purchase it. From what I've heard, the Shelby will be governed at 155 MPH. To me this sucks, since many performance sedans can do this, and some are even governed around there as well! In this day and age of motoring, 155 is nothing spectacular. Why all the work for underbody diffusers, etc. if you aren't even going to be exploring super high top speeds? The shelby has the horsepower to go 170 or so, maybe faster, so why the limiter considering the type of car, and the kind of buyers? I still hope I will be proven wrong, but I here this is pretty solid, and considering the speedo only goes to 160 MPH, I would imagine this to be true. If you guys have any answers, I'd love to hear them. You don't see Chevy putting governers on the Vette and Z06. C'mon Ford...

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you buy an SCT Xcalibrator 2 you should be able to turn off the speed limiter which is what I did with my 05 Roush after we put the Vortec on it.
I have seen one test run result showing the intercooled vortec GT is capable
of 192 top speed when the speed limiter is turned off. I live in the midwest too, however I won't drive that fast. We have livestock, deer, etc. which
could create a real messy situation even if you are the only one on the road.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I suspect the speed limiter is a result of the tire manufacturers recommendations. Usually speed limiters are set to the top speed that the tire manufactuer says it's tire is capable. It is a liability thing. But 2005ROUSH is right, I would bet you a paycheck that the limiter is computer controlled and can be removed.

Mike

P.S. Had my Impala to 141 mph a couple of weeks ago (still pulling strong). :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bad Rod is correct, the speed limiter is set below the tire rating of the stock
Pirreli P Zero tires on the GT. I am running B.F.G. KD Drag Radials with "Y"
rating good to about 186 MPH. The SCT XCalibrator is awesome, I have it
programmed so I can switch to the factory rims & tires and just plug the
tuner in and recalibrate so the speedometer reads correctly. I think I will
have to buy a new one for the '07 shelby as the factory tune from my '05 is
downloaded as "factory tune" into the SCT unit I now have. Going from the Diablo tune supplied by Vortec to the custom tune at the local dyno shop
( E.J.'s in Omaha) using the SCT we gained about 90 RWHP. The car isn't
much faster though, as I am still trying to educate my foot(the tires pretty
much spin through the first three gears).

·
Registered
836 Posts
Only one post from the OP. Guess he killed himself trying to get to the real top speed of the Shelby.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I know. That's why I posted a reply in it. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I actually ended up purchasing a Charger SRT-8 instead of the Shelby. I'm waiting till 2014 when the fully redo the mustang before I switch back to Ford. No, I didn't die, and yes, I have taken the SRT-8 up to 172 MPH twice just to try it out. Pretty smooth at speed, and very stable. It's lame that my sedan is faster than a dedicated muscle sedan :( I can't wait for an ungoverned, lighter, modern GT 500. Bye bye SRT-8 as soon as they come out with one of those...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, I actually ended up purchasing a Charger SRT-8 instead of the Shelby. I'm waiting till 2014 when the fully redo the mustang before I switch back to Ford. No, I didn't die, and yes, I have taken the SRT-8 up to 172 MPH twice just to try it out. Pretty smooth at speed, and very stable. It's lame that my sedan is faster than a dedicated muscle sedan :( I can't wait for an ungoverned, lighter, modern GT 500. Bye bye SRT-8 as soon as they come out with one of those...
Zig - Great news, you not being dead and all.

The SRT8s are nice cruisers, but 172 is cookin'. I had an 06' 300C SRT8, and it really was a great car. That said, if you go and drive a 2011 GT500, the acceleration difference to the SRT8 is dramatic. You could always spend a few bucks on a programmer and remove the speed limiter on the GT500, if you felt the need for max speed.

·
Registered
836 Posts
How long did it take you to get to that speed? Top Gear took a Challenger SRT8 to the Bonneville Salt Flats a couple years ago and could barely get, I believe, 155MPH in a just a mile.

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
W/O pics that new Charger is just a "Rumor"! :silly:

·
Premium Member
11,032 Posts
Yeah, they're governed to 155 as well. But it could certainly look like 160 with speedo error (that's what I call it when I wear a swimsuit). Here's some asshat doing it at night. Note the boost die at the limiter.

bj

·
Premium Member
2,286 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
So w/ an extra 200HP, I might be able to crack 195 - 200!! Sweet! :D Would never do it, but nice to brag about. ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey fellas. Well, I was racing a Mercedes sedan from a 55 mph roll on, and after I had blown him away, I realized I was doing 155mph. So, I figured I might as well stay on it to max it out since I was already almost there. It gets to 155 mph quick. The last 17 mph take a little longer to extract. It's pretty unreal going that fast! But I miss having a stick shift!

I did get the opportunity to test drive a 2010 GT500, but it honestly wasn't as fast as I expected. I know the 2011 is a big improvement though. I guess there just as much thrust when I was on it fully in the first two gears as I thought there would be. I have a Diablo Predator on my car, and the difference in gear changes is amazing. It really wakes the car up!

I have some pics of my car, I'll see if I can get them up to "prove it". Lol. It's black on black, with all black rims. It's awesome, but I'd still love to have a GT500!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hey fellas. Well, I was racing a Mercedes sedan from a 55 mph roll on, and after I had blown him away, I realized I was doing 155mph. So, I figured I might as well stay on it to max it out since I was already almost there. It gets to 155 mph quick. The last 17 mph take a little longer to extract. It's pretty unreal going that fast! But I miss having a stick shift!

I did get the opportunity to test drive a 2010 GT500, but it honestly wasn't as fast as I expected. I know the 2011 is a big improvement though. I guess there just as much thrust when I was on it fully in the first two gears as I thought there would be. I have a Diablo Predator on my car, and the difference in gear changes is amazing. It really wakes the car up!

I have some pics of my car, I'll see if I can get them up to "prove it". Lol. It's black on black, with all black rims. It's awesome, but I'd still love to have a GT500!
The 2010 GT500 you test drove probably had the boost limited. From the factory the vehicles computer limits boost until 5 continuous miles have been driven consecutively.

Trust me I own a 2010 and its definitely fast. 2011 in the speed department holds roughly the same HP but 102 lbs lighter....so doing the math thats abou .1-.2 seconds different in the 1/4....not much

·
Registered
67 Posts
Topped out my speedo on my 08 and I have turned off my limiter, couldn't tell you how fast I was going but I could have counted to almost five before the needle picked itself off 160mph. Fun but won't be doing that again without hood pins.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts