Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Shelby GT500 SVTPP
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve always been a fan of a tall cowl hood. There are few instances where one is required.. I won’t be of the ones that require it. It’s purely aesthetic for me personally…

Not to say the stock hood doesn’t look great but.. when I see photos like this..

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood

Vehicle Tire Car Grille Vehicle registration plate

Granted I don’t have stripes but I would consider them also…really my biggest hurdle would be dealing with my stock hood. I don’t really have the proper storage space to keep it… if I sold the stock one, I haven’t a clue as to what it’s worth.

yeah it’s a little gaudy looking for a daily but I think it’s pretty tough looking. On my 2008 GT I rocked a 4 inch Cervinis hood for most of the years of owned it. Ya get used to it after a little while.. this is the first time where I’m second guessing it lol

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,179 Posts
One one hand, I like “wild!” I like bold things that grab your attention! The cowl hood definitely grabs your attention! Having said that… on the other hand, I’ve always preferred a stock hood look versus a big cowl hood.

If the goal is to build a menacing beast, a cowl hood adds to the character!

Reactions: RockChalk

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
4,033 Posts
For me, there had to be a reason besides visuals, it better be hiding something really BIG..

·
Registered
2014 GT500 DIB/Satin Black TP/PP
867 Posts
I've also been entertaining the idea of a cowl. I dont need it and my new blower will fit(is supposed to fit) under the factory hood, but the cowl hoods make these cars look tough!

·
Premium Member
2021 Antimatter Blue
85 Posts
If you're going for a Look, go for it. I've had tons of big hood cars and they have gotten old for me but they do look good. I think for my next projects hood I might do the Shelby bump or a subtle Mach1 Dominator style. S197's all seem like trucks to me so anything to make the front end look longer and sleeker is a good thing. Hoods like the KR just bull nose the truck look and I think it's hideous.

·
Registered
2012 Shelby GT500 SVTPP
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well off and on I’ll search locally for cars with them that are for sale. I’ve come close to getting one for a straight up trade that was already black.. when the day came to contact them per their request.. they traded someone else for a stock GT hood.. 🙄..

One guy wanted to sell me one for $1000.. I’m like, there’s zero incentive at that price since I can buy one new already painted and shipped to my door for not much more.. pass..

The hood is about $750 and it’s only by chance that it’s the right color.. nobody else would pay anything near $1000 for a hood they’ll have to repaint.. this guy also tried to tell me it won’t fit my car because it’s a 2012.. umm 10-14 GT500 hoods are the same.. his inflated head must of overshadowed his view of my car being a GT500 and not a regular GT.. had it was, I would of agreed with him since 10-12 GTs had a different front end. Ah well, he probably did me a favor lol

·
Registered
2018 GT350
2,372 Posts
I'm more into the functionality of the stock hood, after all a cowl induction hood does no good when there's nothing that the air is being directed towards. That being said I prefer the styling of the cowl hood vs the typical "super snake" hood if you just have to change it up.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,919 Posts
Nope. Any reduction in forward visibility is a no-go with me.
I agree. I even found the slight cowl raising of the stock hood on my 03 Cobra Mustang interfered with my sight over the front of the car. It is especially noticeable when cresting a hill. Not good! They do look nice on some cars but are oftentimes not practical for daily driven cars.

·
Registered
2013 Black/Black SVTPP
274 Posts
@FlamesAreWicked - I have a Kenne Bell 3.2 that was slightly rubbing on the SC nose against a notch on the stock hood (not significant but bothersome), so I went with a 4" cowl from Cervini and absolutely love it. My ride is not a daily and the hood does, as you know, cause some visibility issues. However, as a pure "muscle" styling mod it looks great IMHO (competitors will think you have something not stock under there, be prepared).

P.S. if you already have aftermarket hood struts, they may not work with the aftermarket hood, found that out the hard way

Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
2014 GT500 DIB/Satin Black TP/PP
867 Posts
@FlamesAreWicked - I have a Kenne Bell 3.2 that was slightly rubbing on the SC nose against a notch on the stock hood (not significant but bothersome), so I went with a 4" cowl from Cervini and absolutely love it. My ride is not a daily and the hood does, as you know, cause some visibility issues. However, as a pure "muscle" styling mod it looks great IMHO (competitors will think you have something under there, be prepared).

P.S. if you already have aftermarket hood struts, they may not work with the aftermarket hood, found that out the hard way

View attachment 223643
This just looks mean!

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
4,033 Posts
@FlamesAreWicked - I have a Kenne Bell 3.2 that was slightly rubbing on the SC nose against a notch on the stock hood (not significant but bothersome), so I went with a 4" cowl from Cervini and absolutely love it. My ride is not a daily and the hood does, as you know, cause some visibility issues. However, as a pure "muscle" styling mod it looks great IMHO (competitors will think you have something not stock under there, be prepared).

To avoid an aftermarket hood, even after the engine was lowered, the stock hood had to be notched to clear the 3.4, & I modded the hood blanket. The upside is " they " don't know what's under the hood..

·
Registered
2012 Shelby GT500 SVTPP
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it’s purely a looks thing in my case.. we will see.. never know when one may pop up for grabs locally… I would have to step up the exhaust note to match the looks.. stock mid pipe and outlaws sounds decent but not what I would call loud..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts