Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys have side to side movement with the stick while it is in gear? The Pro5.0 does, but I'm guessing it is just the nature of the transmission since we are connecting through a link, and not dropping straight into the tranny. Sam pointed this out with the Pro5.0, and now that I have mine installed, I know what he means. Just wondering if other shifters have the same characteristic...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Mine, too. Doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Do you guys have side to side movement with the stick while it is in gear? The Pro5.0 does, but I'm guessing it is just the nature of the transmission since we are connecting through a link, and not dropping straight into the tranny. Sam pointed this out with the Pro5.0, and now that I have mine installed, I know what he means. Just wondering if other shifters have the same characteristic...
My Tri-Ax did....my new Shelby unit does not.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was the Shelby worth the money 1268? Any big difference in the two?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Was the Shelby worth the money 1268? Any big difference in the two?
YEP! Shorter more solid throw....feels like a sports car shifter not just an aftermarket piece. Mine had that slop that you mentioned and also when I would floor it with my hand resting on the shifter (slightly) the shifter would move with the torque....bugged the fug out of me. This one doesn't move an ounce. Plus it has two arms like the stock unit...all the others have just one and I attribute that to the slop (even thou that might not be the cause).

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info... It doesn't really bother me, but I'll keep the Shelby in the back of my mind when my tax return comes around...lol.

·
Registered
117 Posts
YEP! Shorter more solid throw....feels like a sports car shifter not just an aftermarket piece. Mine had that slop that you mentioned and also when I would floor it with my hand resting on the shifter (slightly) the shifter would move with the torque....bugged the fug out of me. This one doesn't move an ounce. Plus it has two arms like the stock unit...all the others have just one and I attribute that to the slop (even thou that might not be the cause).
If you have a problem feeling the shifter move from torque when you floor it, I have to think maybe you should have bought a BMW or some other luxury car instead of a GT500. No flame intended, but it is a musclecar, after all.

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you have a problem feeling the shifter move from torque when you floor it, I have to think maybe you should have bought a BMW or some other luxury car instead of a GT500. No flame intended, but it is a musclecar, after all.
Thanks boss!!:silly: It doesn't do it now with the new shifter and my 600 hp 03 never did it at all.

Now that you mention it...I did own an M3 too a few years back.:thinkerg:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would think that the torque of the engine would move the engine and transmission clockwise. I would think any shifter would move unless you change the motor mounts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the Steeda Tri Ax and just picked up the Hurst (FRPP) Chrome Stick w/ white ball. The stock shifter and Steeda are set up differently. So the Hurst would fit the stock assembly but not the Tri-Ax. Someone know something I don't here? I've seen posts about the holes not being big enough etc, but nothing about the handle being mounted incorrectly. Is there something else I have to buy to make this work?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I have the Steeda Tri Ax and just picked up the Hurst (FRPP) Chrome Stick w/ white ball. The stock shifter and Steeda are set up differently. So the Hurst would fit the stock assembly but not the Tri-Ax. Someone know something I don't here? I've seen posts about the holes not being big enough etc, but nothing about the handle being mounted incorrectly. Is there something else I have to buy to make this work?
nope, should bolt right up to it..mines that way..no issues putting it together.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Tell me this looks right (because it doesn't). Look hard at it. The first photo is a view from the console looking forward. The second photo is a view from the drivers side. The Tri-Ax mounting point for the Hurst is different than the stock unit. Unless there's an adapter for use w/ the Tri-Ax? Has anyone else run into this problem? The Hurst part number is M-7213-K. Is there a different part number for use w/ the Steeda Tri-Ax?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
sorry..now i see..your shifter base design is different than the hurst. with its design and bolt pattern, that's the only way it will go on. and its probably hitting underneath. pull the boot up and look. it was designed to go on the stock or ford aftermarket shifter. only thing you can do is install the hurst stick, or change to the KR shifter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It works as it is. I just don't like how it looks. Evolution has their "own" stick they use on their tri-ax. I thought about the KR shifter but was curious how well it would be since the stock one is pretty sloppy. I'd hate to have to tear this shifter out and replace it w/ something else. Although the Steeda seems a bit notchy to me. More so than the ones I've had in the past. I actually thought about getting a different one.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Tell me this looks right (because it doesn't). Look hard at it. The first photo is a view from the console looking forward. The second photo is a view from the drivers side. The Tri-Ax mounting point for the Hurst is different than the stock unit. Unless there's an adapter for use w/ the Tri-Ax? Has anyone else run into this problem? The Hurst part number is M-7213-K. Is there a different part number for use w/ the Steeda Tri-Ax?
That definately does not look right. The handle PN M-7213-K is not a Hurst part number - it is a Ford Racing part number and is meant to install on the OEM GT500 shifter or Ford Racing 6-spd short-throw shifter. The handle mounting is rotated 90 degrees for the Steeda Triax shifter.

Here's a link to the Hurst handle that may fit the Triax and make things look right on your car. You'll also need another knob that fits the threads; those are available at Jegs as well.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Hurst/530/238-7201/10002/-1

·
Registered
938 Posts
I think it looks like this.:rofl:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
That definately does not look right. The handle PN M-7213-K is not a Hurst part number - it is a Ford Racing part number and is meant to install on the OEM GT500 shifter or Ford Racing 6-spd short-throw shifter. The handle mounting is rotated 90 degrees for the Steeda Triax shifter.

Here's a link to the Hurst handle that may fit the Triax and make things look right on your car. You'll also need another knob that fits the threads; those are available at Jegs as well.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Hurst/530/238-7201/10002/-1
your correct...hurst is what i have...ball from grabberpony.

tri-ax is a little notchy at first, but smooths out after some use. the KR is actually stiffer (solid), two support bars like the stocker, better bushings and a shorter throw. if you dont like the look (frankly, neither do i), just get the hurst. JMO

1 - 20 of 21 Posts