Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok how about Outback?

I have '68 Stang that had BF Goodrich T/A's. I'm not sure how old the tires were but when I bought the car it had those tires and I've had it for about 6+ years. The tread depth was fine with probably over half the normal wear still left. Air pressure was kept within specs, no rough driving either. This car is a cream puff. Anyway, one day my daughter complained of a vibration in the car at highway speeds. I checked it out and a belt had slipped or something inside the tire and there was a lump forming that progressively got worse until it was noticeable at 10MPH. Off with the tire and on with another (Dunlop D40) I had lying around. About a week later, another one on that car did the same thing. Changed it and kept driving. Another week later, same thing. So, I went and bought whole new set. Whether the fourth tire would have failed will always be a mystery but it is strange that it all happened about the same time.

With several old Mustangs around here many don't get driven many miles as I would like but I do my best to wear the tires out instead of the alternative. This car was just such a cream puff it didn't get the kind of attention that wears out tires. Anyway that's my story...

OK, How about Sonic?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Ok how about Outback?

I have '68 Stang that had BF Goodrich T/A's. I'm not sure how old the tires were but when I bought the car it had those tires and I've had it for about 6+ years. The tread depth was fine with probably over half the normal wear still left. Air pressure was kept within specs, no rough driving either. This car is a cream puff. Anyway, one day my daughter complained of a vibration in the car at highway speeds. I checked it out and a belt had slipped or something inside the tire and there was a lump forming that progressively got worse until it was noticeable at 10MPH. Off with the tire and on with another (Dunlop D40) I had lying around. About a week later, another one on that car did the same thing. Changed it and kept driving. Another week later, same thing. So, I went and bought whole new set. Whether the fourth tire would have failed will always be a mystery but it is strange that it all happened about the same time.

With several old Mustangs around here many don't get driven many miles as I would like but I do my best to wear the tires out instead of the alternative. This car was just such a cream puff it didn't get the kind of attention that wears out tires. Anyway that's my story...

OK, How about Sonic?
It would be interesting to see the bump you describe. Almost all tires (except Bridgestone I believe) are made with 2-piece molds. For this reason there is a parting line in two places on the tire, and you can see this on the sidewall. Some people call this a "bump". Perhaps yours was something different...can't say without seeing it. Good to know you're safe now though.

Dave

·
Registered
2 Posts
All those tires are gone now so the location of the "bump" will always remain unconfirmed but the bump was more than a ripple in the sidewall. The tire size was 235-14-60. After the "bump" appeared, it looked like a 70 or 78 series tire in one spot and a 60 series tire on the rest of the tire. Weird!

41 - 43 of 43 Posts