Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry I know this has been discussed but I am not having any luck searching for it. What are people doing and reccomending for tires for their Shelby.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sorry I know this has been discussed but I am not having any luck searching for it. What are people doing and reccomending for tires for their Shelby.
Buy ones that are round!

Whats wrong with the originals?

The GY F1 Supercar tires are a very good tire. Have you pushed your car on wet or dry roads? You may be able to find a quieter tire but highly unlikely you will find a better overall performing one. Or are you looking for smaller studded tires for winter. lol

The stock tires are not recommended to be used in under 40deg F temps!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Buy ones that are round!

Whats wrong with the originals?

The GY F1 Supercar tires are a very good tire. Have you pushed your car on wet or dry roads? You may be able to find a quieter tire but highly unlikely you will find a better overall performing one. Or are you looking for smaller studded tires for winter. lol

The stock tires are not recommended to be used in under 40deg F temps!
I don't need to put my 2 cents in here, but I will! The OEM tires are a bit noisy, but I don't have anything to compare them with. The other top notch tires might be noisy, too, right?

But, I have looked at some stuff other folks have said here and there and a lot of guys seem high on the BF Goodrich tires, I forget which exact ones. And good things are said of the Yokohama and Nitto tires, as well. I am thinking that these last two tires might be softer and maybe have a little more traction.

There is another tire I have seen on several cars at the shows and it is a Goodyear F1, but it has a different tread design. It sort of looks like V's stacked around the tire. Anyway, I like the tread design a lot!

Now some of you guys that actually know about tires help us out!

Thanks!

PS: I think the ones I mentioned are all round!

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Buy ones that are round!
Actually, to be more accurate, tires are closer to toroid in shape rather than round. Toroid meaning doughnut-shaped.

Sorry, the geek in me slipped out again. :D

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I don't need to put my 2 cents in here, but I will! The OEM tires are a bit noisy, but I don't have anything to compare them with. The other top notch tires might be noisy, too, right?

But, I have looked at some stuff other folks have said here and there and a lot of guys seem high on the BF Goodrich tires, I forget which exact ones. And good things are said of the Yokohama and Nitto tires, as well. I am thinking that these last two tires might be softer and maybe have a little more traction.

There is another tire I have seen on several cars at the shows and it is a Goodyear F1, but it has a different tread design. It sort of looks like V's stacked around the tire. Anyway, I like the tread design a lot!

Thanks!

I think these tires you are talking about are street stickeys.These are DOT approved street slicks and they can be used on the street or on the drag strip.Nittos are probably the best

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I dont have a problem with the tires, I dont even have my car yet, I just thought it would be neat to have the original tires from the car put away, to have in case I ever had to sell the Shelby. I am just looking for a replacement, I am sure if they work for Ford they will work for me. I did however call my local Goodyear dealer and they dont even have a price for them, anyway, round or toriod i dont care just something I wanted to do.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Actually, to be more accurate, tires are closer to toroid in shape rather than round. Toroid meaning doughnut-shaped.

Sorry, the geek in me slipped out again. :D
Well geeked, Mr. Prez!

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
No I dont have a problem with the tires, I dont even have my car yet, I just thought it would be neat to have the original tires from the car put away, to have in case I ever had to sell the Shelby. I am just looking for a replacement, I am sure if they work for Ford they will work for me. I did however call my local Goodyear dealer and they dont even have a price for them, anyway, round or toriod i dont care just something I wanted to do.
Keep in mind, tires do have a limited shelf-life. Just sitting in the corner, tires will last 5-6 years before they are unsafe to use. They dry out and crack.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
indeed, thats why i ahve designed a hydrobaric chamber for them, i borrowed it from terrell owens, my tires will sleep in the same thing he does.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
You guys are great.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Prez?
I don't think the tires you have for your Shelby will sit that long.......

:confused: Will They?:confused:

Couldn't resist

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Gt500Convert

Please empty your PM in box. Have tried to PM you with no response!:confused:

·
Registered
110 Posts

Thanks!

old, The tires that come standard on shelby are Goodyear F1 Super Car tires!

The pricing I got at discount was 200 for each front and 240 for each rear. They had them in stock.

·
Registered
888 Posts

The pricing I got at discount was 200 for each front and 240 for each rear. They had them in stock.
Yes, I know what the standard tires are. The tire tread I like is the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3. I found it at The Tire Rack, but it might not be available in the 285's.

I like the looks of the tread design! Yokohama has one that is very similar to this, the Yokohama AVS Sport.

The Michelin Pilot Sport tread looks very similar, also. I found it in the 285.

I don't know how good these are, I just like the way they look!

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Where did you find these tires in stocl, my guy doesnt even have a price for them?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Prez?
I don't think the tires you have for your Shelby will sit that long.......

:confused: Will They?:confused:

Couldn't resist
:D Now, if I actually HAD my Shelby, No way in H$LL they would sit that long. :D
I'm actually thinking of buying an extra set of rear tires when I pick it up. I know the rears will go fast. :D :D :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
65 Posts
Keep in mind, tires do have a limited shelf-life. Just sitting in the corner, tires will last 5-6 years before they are unsafe to use. They dry out and crack.

Is there not something that you can put on them to make them last longer? I know maintenance on a tire that you're not using seems strange but I would think that you could treate them every so often to keep them soft.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts