Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well most of us on this site have found out that the factory tires don't do a very good job at the strip, or in fact on the road if you have done the normal mods to the shelby. (Air instake / gears / pulley / tune / etc) Anyhow I called Goodyear today and they passed me over to a support engineer. Very good phone call. Here is the bottom line from him. The tire we have is for general performance. Not the best that goodyear makes but a good balance between performance and price. The simple fix is to replace the tire with high performance tire. Of course he talked about Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, but I also called a local tire place and he was pumping up the Bridgestone G-Force and did mention Nitto which is owned by Toyo. So the question I have is for those that has changed their factory tires... What did you go with and what is the results. I need a tire that grips because going side ways in 3rd sounds cool but truly sucks when your racing :) (not that I would street race or anything) Anyhow lets here what the verdict is :)

Bill

·
Registered
861 Posts
Michelin® Pilot® MXM4™

Not sure that they are the best tire, but there was a guy who posted a video of him going almost 200mph on the autobuhn. Someone asked him what kind of tire he was using because the stock Goodyears I think are only rated at 160mph.

As far as drag/street use! I don't think this would be the best option. But you could feel good going 200mph and know that the tire wont come apart. Tires will come apart if you go fast than the speed rating of the tire. It happened to me in my F-350 Dually! To many times speeding over 120mph (yes I had mods done to it, stock it was gov. at 95mph) I was only going 65 when this happened. I was in the middle lane and it shot me into the fast lane and almost into the median (center grass). It is a good thing that nobody was beside me because I would have taken them out. I drove it home on the shoulder at 20mph (there was still air in the tire, the tire did not blow. THE TREAD SEPERATED)

A drag radial is going to be your best street/strip tire. So now you will have to determine what is more important!

Nitto: maybe 11,000-15,000 miles on them with less hook at the track.
BFG: maybe 5,000-10,000 miles on them with better hooking.
M/T: Probably the best Drag Radial for the track. so you know you will get less miles on the road.

Hoosier & MH I am not to sure about but I would say those are top of the line track tires.

look at the pics of my Dually after the tire failed.

not sure if this helped! You probably already knew all this!
JJ

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No such thing as to much info, I appreciate it. I know the drag Radial is the king but only want to visit the strip one more time so would really like to have a good street tire that hooks up. So anyone else that has changed your tires lets here what you got to say about it :)

Reactions: VNMOUS1

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
Well most of us on this site have found out that the factory tires don't do a very good job at the strip, or in fact on the road if you have done the normal mods to the shelby. (Air instake / gears / pulley / tune / etc) Anyhow I called Goodyear today and they passed me over to a support engineer. Very good phone call. Here is the bottom line from him. The tire we have is for general performance. Not the best that goodyear makes but a good balance between performance and price. The simple fix is to replace the tire with high performance tire. Of course he talked about Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, but I also called a local tire place and he was pumping up the Bridgestone G-Force and did mention Nitto which is owned by Toyo. So the question I have is for those that has changed their factory tires... What did you go with and what is the results. I need a tire that grips because going side ways in 3rd sounds cool but truly sucks when your racing :) (not that I would street race or anything) Anyhow lets here what the verdict is :)

Bill

BFG KDW2

Do a search on stangsunleashed. A few of us have them, and we all swear by them. Oh...and they look bitchin'.

bj

·
Registered
861 Posts
BFG KDW2

Do a search on stangsunleashed. A few of us have them, and we all swear by them. Oh...and they look bitchin'.

bj
I don't believe it until I see it! show me some pics!
JJ

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I don't believe it until I see it! show me some pics!
JJ
What SIZE is the max you can install on those BFG KDW2 tires? 295s 305s ?

TD

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Here is a picture of mine with the BFG KDWs. I had to reduce the size of the file to post it, so I'm not sure how well you can see the tread. I can email the original, if you want to see it better.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
You can go 305 on stock wheels but it's REALLY pushing it. The 285s look much larger than the 285 F1s. These are stock size rears.
Sweet! I like the tread pattern. Those will be the next tires I buy. A couple more burnouts for the Grandkids ought to do it.:rolleyes: :D

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
Sweet! I like the tread pattern. Those will be the next tires I buy. A couple more burnouts for the Grandkids ought to do it.:rolleyes: :D

We'll have to hook up on a dry day and you can take a look up close and personal. They look wider than the F1s because of the size of the blocks on the tread.

By the way, I ordered those struts online and never heard from them. Now I've lost their info (they didn't charge my card so it's cool). PM sent.

bj

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
We'll have to hook up on a dry day and you can take a look up close and personal. They look wider than the F1s because of the size of the blocks on the tread.

By the way, I ordered those struts online and never heard from them. Now I've lost their info (they didn't charge my card so it's cool). PM sent.

bj
If I remember right, when I ordered them online, I ended up having to call them. I don't have the info with me here, but I'll get it to you. I think it was from Ameritool.

With all the rain we are getting now it may be awhile before things dry out. The pictures do look like they are wider.:cool:

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Hey Cal,

Have the G-Force on mine with 20" Shelby Chrome Wheels. Lookin good, Feelin good!! Also had a long talk with Mfg. Tech Rep. at a couple Company's. Decided on G-Force and love em!!!!!!!! Tread pattern helped sell me too :cool:

Joe

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the G Force KDW's on my Marauder, and the Nitto Extreme 555 on the Shelby, and am really pleased with both. Neither do great in really cold weather as far as hook up goes, but I expect that would be the case for any high performance tire. Has anyone had any experience with a european tire by the name of "Vredestein", I ahve seen them on Ebay , and they look pretty cool. The seller advertises them as something used on European supercars, and I believe have Y (186 MPH) rating. They were advertised at around $170.00 plus S&H if I remember correctly.

JR

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
If I remember right, when I ordered them online, I ended up having to call them. I don't have the info with me here, but I'll get it to you. I think it was from Ameritool.

With all the rain we are getting now it may be awhile before things dry out. The pictures do look like they are wider.:cool:
They screwed up the shipment and sent some that wouldn't hold up my boxer shorts. They're replacing them.

bj

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s on my Mustang GT, and have been very pleased with them. It's set up as an open track car, and handles very well. They will go on the GT500 when the OEMs wear out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts