Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I was out driving my GT500. Just driving, not hotrodding, etc. I heard what sounded like something loose in the left front tire. It sounded metallic. It was not clear to me what was wrong. The Ford dealer was too far away so I stopped at a Discount Tire and had them remove the left front wheel. There was nothing wrong with the brakes, etc. so I had them seperate the tire from the rim. I found that the tire pressuse sensor has a stainless steel strap that goes around the inside circumfrence of the rim. The sensor itself looks like it is glued to the inner rim. The band had seperated at the point it snaps together.

I don't know if this band is installed at the factory to keep the sensor in place while the glue dries, or, the purpose of the band is to act as an additional safety to keep the itre pressure in place. Probably the latter.

I am taking the car to the dealer soon. Discount Tire said they had no information about this sensor in their repair database, had not seen this type of installation, and had no way to repair it. Tire was reinstalled, rim balanced and installed back on car. I kept the broken band. This band clearly can not be reused.

So, two issues. My guess is that at least for the short term, only the dealer can repair these rims? The second is aftermarket wheels. Does this mean we have to purchase new pressure sensors and have them somehow fastened to the new rims?

Perplexing.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Last weekend I was out driving my GT500. Just driving, not hotrodding, etc. I heard what sounded like something loose in the left front tire. It sounded metallic. It was not clear to me what was wrong. The Ford dealer was too far away so I stopped at a Discount Tire and had them remove the left front wheel. There was nothing wrong with the brakes, etc. so I had them seperate the tire from the rim. I found that the tire pressuse sensor has a stainless steel strap that goes around the inside circumfrence of the rim. The sensor itself looks like it is glued to the inner rim. The band had seperated at the point it snaps together.

I don't know if this band is installed at the factory to keep the sensor in place while the glue dries, or, the purpose of the band is to act as an additional safety to keep the itre pressure in place. Probably the latter.

I am taking the car to the dealer soon. Discount Tire said they had no information about this sensor in their repair database, had not seen this type of installation, and had no way to repair it. Tire was reinstalled, rim balanced and installed back on car. I kept the broken band. This band clearly can not be reused.

So, two issues. My guess is that at least for the short term, only the dealer can repair these rims? The second is aftermarket wheels. Does this mean we have to purchase new pressure sensors and have them somehow fastened to the new rims?

Perplexing.

I am not sure about fixing it.I will check tomorrow.Yes you have to buy new sensors.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Aftermarket rims will require new sensor and the band does assist in holding it in place. Also you will have to get the sensor programmed because if not than your console will display you have low tire pressure. I think the sensors in the high end cars, are nice but just another thing to be a pain in the ass. Unless the discount tires of the world have the programmer that means if you put tires on anywhere but from the dealer you might have to return to them to have the sensor programmed... and I am sure there is a charge. I would just as soon have that removed from the computer and I will take the time to check my pressure myself :)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

Perplexing.

I know a guy here in the Denver area who go the new 20" Shelby Razor wheels at Discount Tire and Discount Tire was able to supply new bands for the tire pressure sensors. They only cost abour $15 or $20. Not sure why your Discount Tire couldn't supply the replacement parts.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Aftermarket rims will require new sensor and the band does assist in holding it in place. Also you will have to get the sensor programmed because if not than your console will display you have low tire pressure. I think the sensors in the high end cars, are nice but just another thing to be a pain in the ass. Unless the discount tires of the world have the programmer that means if you put tires on anywhere but from the dealer you might have to return to them to have the sensor programmed... and I am sure there is a charge. I would just as soon have that removed from the computer and I will take the time to check my pressure myself :)
I believe I read some where that programming was accomplished simply by running the tires at the recommended tire pressure.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input. I'll let everyone know what the dealer says. My personal preference would be to not have to be deal with the sensors at all. If anyone knows a way to disable the programming, let me know.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts

Perplexing.
I wouldn't say only the dealership can service them...I know people who have purchased bands for the sensors from aftermarket tire companies.

There have been various posts on how to handle aftermarket rims. The sensors can be reused. Some people have found ingenious ways to reuse the old clamps, others have purchased new clamps as I alluded to above.

Is there a reason you didn't use your roadside assistance program to have your car fixed? Perhaps you were in a hurry.

Dave

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there a reason you didn't use your roadside assistance program to have your car fixed? Perhaps you were in a hurry.

Dave
I guess you could say in a hurry. The noise started suddenly and I was almost in the driveway of the Discount Tire. Admittedly I was surprised they couldn't fix it since I understand these sensors are in other types of cars. I did look at the sensor. I too couldn't figure out how it comes off, other than brute force.

Does anyone know if the sensor is a one time use item.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I guess you could say in a hurry. The noise started suddenly and I was almost in the driveway of the Discount Tire. Admittedly I was surprised they couldn't fix it since I understand these sensors are in other types of cars. I did look at the sensor. I too couldn't figure out how it comes off, other than brute force.

Does anyone know if the sensor is a one time use item.

The sensor can be reused.The glue really does nothing it is the band that holds the sensor in place.The sensor is mounded in the well of the rim and is 180 degrees from the valve stem.Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Here is the procedure to install and remove the TPMS.Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
You da man, 07!

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts