Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas:
Just wondering...has anyone used the tire compressor in their trunk yet? How did it perform? How much weight would it save if it were removed?
I am not comfortable with not having a spare and was not aware of this until after i got it home.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Well if you think it weighs to much just put a spare in there.
It is a one time use. Ford hasnt put spare's in since 2005 it is a cost saving thing.
Some folks have put spare tires in there cars but remember this the front tires are a different size than the back and you would need to have two spares.If you mixed up the tire sizes on you're car than the speed control sensor would detect the difference and think that one tire is spinning and lock up the brake. I to believe this is a separate system from traction control.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,951 Posts
I was under the impression we don't have a spare because of our front brakes... As far as the speed control, it would be annoying, but I guess you could move a rear tire to the front, put the donut on the rear, and then turn traction control off... Do you really want to put 500hp through a donut though?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
My compressor / flat-kit is in the garage. Its got a SVT logo on it - kinda cool. Haven't used it. Took it out to make a nice home for 3 amplifiers! I've got about 54 pounds worth or so.

My suggestion - call a tow truck or AAA. I've got free roadside assistance through my Insurance carrier, and I think I also have some limited free roadside assistance through Ford as well.

TD

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
speed control sensor would detect the difference and think that one tire is spinning and lock up the brake. I to believe this is a separate system from traction control.
Our cars do not have stability/dynamic control systems that use the brakes to control the car. Traction control is the only electronic aid and it does not use the brakes for this function.

Also, the difference in tire sizes is less than 0.5% not at all large enough of a difference to merit any concern for a short trip. A front sized tire would make an adequate spare in an emergency.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Also, the difference in tire sizes is less than 0.5% not at all large enough of a difference to merit any concern for a short trip. A front sized tire would make an adequate spare in an emergency.
HUHHHHH, unless you don't mind putting a smaller wheel in the rear and damaging the differential clutches

·
Registered
456 Posts
HUHHHHH, unless you don't mind putting a smaller wheel in the rear and damaging the differential clutches
The difference in overall diameter between the front and the rear tire is 0.1 inches. 773 revs per mile vs. 775. It is probably the same difference as if one rear tire had 35 psi and the other 34. It would hurt anything.

·
Registered
658 Posts
To each their own...................

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I'm gonna stick with AAA

·
Registered
97 Posts
That's great until you are on the side of the road waiting for hours at night as often happens with AAA or any other tow company. I prefer to get going quickly especially if I'm in an area that doesn't allow me to bring my firearm. The side of the road is no fun for hours on end.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
To each his own.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts