Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post here, although I have been looking around for a while.

I took my first Mustang out for a ride about three years ago. It was a rental GT with an automatic and I had it for about a week in Victoria BC. I love the car. Even though I wanted one, I put the purchase on hold for a few reasons. One was economic and one was that the new Camaro was coming out soon and I wanted to wait until I saw it before I decided.

The first new Camaro was at a local dealer a few weeks ago so I went in and had a look. I did not drive the car, but spent about an hour going over it in detail. I also joined a Camaro discussion board to get some feedback from owners and wannabes.

I have decided to get a GT 500 as I am not interested in waiting close to 2 years for the Camaro convertible and they have put the Z28 on indefinite hold.

More importantly though, I think GT 500 is a better car right across the board.

The 2010 is not available in Canada yet (according to the dealer and the Canadian Ford website) so I will wait until it is.

It will be white with significant modifications to both the mechanics and the appearance of the car.

It will be a 6 to 8 month car, depending on the seasons, modified for the drag strip where it will be actively campaigned and with graphics that will both show off the car and my business.

In effect, it will be summer driver, drag racer and a marketing tool for my company.

The suspension, tune and the graphics will be done before I take delivery which I think by the time the 2010's come, the work is done and winter will be over, probably will be May 1st of next year.

I spoke to the Ford dealer and him and I are working on a time line. He is not a GT 500 dealer, but can do the paper work for me and have it delivered to his shop. I explained the project to him in detail and he is on board.

The basic plan is to have it on the road in May, broken in by June, and dialled in by July.

I live in a bit of a muscle car wasteland. I know of only one other GT 500 in the area and the closest drag strips are four to five hours away.

Due to this, I am hoping to use the accumulated knowledge of this board to get the job done right the first time.

I will do a bit of reading then post the basic idea of the car on the Drag forum. Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your patience thought this.

Rocky

·
Registered
202 Posts
:)Grigg's suspensions and ford racing TVS Supercharger!!:)

·
Registered
411 Posts
This is my first post here, although I have been looking around for a while.

I took my first Mustang out for a ride about three years ago. It was a rental GT with an automatic and I had it for about a week in Victoria BC. I love the car. Even though I wanted one, I put the purchase on hold for a few reasons. One was economic and one was that the new Camaro was coming out soon and I wanted to wait until I saw it before I decided.

The first new Camaro was at a local dealer a few weeks ago so I went in and had a look. I did not drive the car, but spent about an hour going over it in detail. I also joined a Camaro discussion board to get some feedback from owners and wannabes.

I have decided to get a GT 500 as I am not interested in waiting close to 2 years for the Camaro convertible and they have put the Z28 on indefinite hold.

More importantly though, I think GT 500 is a better car right across the board.

The 2010 is not available in Canada yet (according to the dealer and the Canadian Ford website) so I will wait until it is.

It will be white with significant modifications to both the mechanics and the appearance of the car.

It will be a 6 to 8 month car, depending on the seasons, modified for the drag strip where it will be actively campaigned and with graphics that will both show off the car and my business.

In effect, it will be summer driver, drag racer and a marketing tool for my company.

The suspension, tune and the graphics will be done before I take delivery which I think by the time the 2010's come, the work is done and winter will be over, probably will be May 1st of next year.

I spoke to the Ford dealer and him and I are working on a time line. He is not a GT 500 dealer, but can do the paper work for me and have it delivered to his shop. I explained the project to him in detail and he is on board.

The basic plan is to have it on the road in May, broken in by June, and dialled in by July.

I live in a bit of a muscle car wasteland. I know of only one other GT 500 in the area and the closest drag strips are four to five hours away.

Due to this, I am hoping to use the accumulated knowledge of this board to get the job done right the first time.

I will do a bit of reading then post the basic idea of the car on the Drag forum. Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your patience thought this.

Rocky
Welcome, I spent some time looking over the Camaro too, but ended up on the dark side........:thinkerg:

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Welcome, I spent some time looking over the Camaro too, but ended up on the dark side........:thinkerg:
I saw my 1st real-live Camaro Saturday; I thought it was a Dodge. :rofl:

It was a great looking car, bright red w/no stripes of any kind.

·
Registered
658 Posts
White Convertible? Great Idea, I LIKE IT!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Welcome to the site CanadianRocky.

There are plenty of GT500s in the Calgary area. When you get your car, make your way to Race City in Calgary for the Friday night Secret Street Drags. $25 is the entrance fee. It is getting fairly popular, but since they start at 7:00pm (doors open at 6:00pm) you can usually get 5 or 6 runs in on a good night.

I'm sure you can get a 2010 GT500 in Canada sooner than the timeline you are being quoted by the non-SVT dealer you are speaking with.

Arbour88

·
Registered
121 Posts
good choice,maybe get a 08 or 09 conv get a cai and a tune and pully and your on your way.alot of choices are out there.goodluck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome to the site CanadianRocky.

There are plenty of GT500s in the Calgary area. When you get your car, make your way to Race City in Calgary for the Friday night Secret Street Drags. $25 is the entrance fee. It is getting fairly popular, but since they start at 7:00pm (doors open at 6:00pm) you can usually get 5 or 6 runs in on a good night.

I'm sure you can get a 2010 GT500 in Canada sooner than the timeline you are being quoted by the non-SVT dealer you are speaking with.

Arbour88
I have been to Race City a few times as a spectator. I will be racing there and Spokane as the main tracks, but will venture to Edmonton, Mission and Ashcroft when I can.

Next year will be a test (and learn to drive) year, but the following year I plan to campaign the car in both provinces and 10 to 12 times a year.

I am currently looking for a 53 ft furniture van that will be pulled with my 2006 9900 International Tractor. It will be the car trailer, but used for the school when it is needed. It will be a good looking show when it is done and will represent the company well.

It will be nice to be able to combine "business" and pleasure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
White Convertible? Great Idea, I LIKE IT!
The graphics will be something like this, with the Company Name and some other racing decals on it.

But in a convertible. It will have a roll bar that meets NHRA specs plus a few other tricks.

I want it to look like it should be on a race track, but still with enough refinment to be able to use as a regular driver, short and long distance, during the summer months.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts