Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what points would you tie down a new GT 500 for towing in a trailer?
When ours comes in to the dealer (Indiana) I have to bring it to Florida.
I would like to know where to put the straps so they won't hurt the car.
I have a couple of tire nets, but they might be the wrong size as they were made for our 67 Cadillac convertible.
If we have to have some new ones made for the GT, I can order them soon.
Our car is still on "unscheduled / material hold" so no big hurry.
Thanks,,
Lou

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,658 Posts
At what points would you tie down a new GT 500 for towing in a trailer?
When ours comes in to the dealer (Indiana) I have to bring it to Florida.
I would like to know where to put the straps so they won't hurt the car.
I have a couple of tire nets, but they might be the wrong size as they were made for our 67 Cadillac convertible.
If we have to have some new ones made for the GT, I can order them soon.
Our car is still on "unscheduled / material hold" so no big hurry.
Thanks,,
Lou
See if you can get a drop-ship option Lou. I have a CFTP car on order from the northeast. The salesman up there and my dealer in TX signed an agreement to have the car drop-shipped straight from Ford to TX.

As for tie downs, I use towels and straps through the wheels. I put a towel through the spokes and then run a strap on the towel so it doesn’t rub.

There are these:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
I like the way you tie it down. Do you worry about it moving sideways without cross tying it?
We spend part of our Summer in Indiana and the way Ford is taking it's time, it may not get delivered until then.
I wouldn't trust any of the dealers in south Florida to receive and prep the car. The guy that preps is the low man, and is probably from Latin America and didn't own a car or drive in his home country.
I will be there the day it gets delivered to the Indiana dealer. If they allow me, I will also help prepping it.
The owner of the dealership's son is the one we always deal with and he said no one will touch the car but him.
Even to wash and prep it. He is a Mustang guy and they have several collector cars.
We'll see what happens.
Thanks again,
Lou

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
29,658 Posts
Regarding lateral movement, my cars haven’t moved laterally in my trailer. First off, I have elevated platforms which the tiedown straps then pull downward on the wheels/tires. Also, I put vertical runners on the insides of the runners mainly to prevent falling off when loading/unloading. The elevated platforms were needed to raise the cars so the driver’s doors opened into the trailer escape door.

A95F5993-30B1-4ABE-81AC-6CF65EB9849E.jpeg
1880B13F-998C-4A5B-97AA-BC3C692E1402.jpeg
946F9A13-B74B-4201-A387-0A93FE464933.jpeg
F97C67AA-5108-4873-BC08-CA69D5FD65D7.jpeg
926C2847-ACB6-4079-BB14-73F9F8B78E08.jpeg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts