Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RAPID RED GT500
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Looking for advice on mods that don't void warranty and do not require a tune. I want to avoid tuning for about the first year to make sure the car wont have any issues. I have already ordered a JLT intake but am wondering about a kong throttle body. Is there any hp or sound (more whine) benefit to adding the throttle body or should I wait until I start doing the warranty voiding mods later on?

·
Premium Member
2012 & 2021 GT500 strippers
8,190 Posts
If you're not wanting to void your warranty, you really shouldn't fool with anything. Ford will put on their boxing gloves if they suspect anything was tampered with and an engine replacement if involved. I'm just getting to the point with mine that I'm not worried about some abnormality surfacing in regards to a manufacturing defect, so it won't be long before I pull that ripcord. While I don't think you'd be in any danger in doing this, if something did happen, you have technically voided the warranty. Replacing a CAI would be very hard to prove as long as you don't have it in place when you take it in for service work. I think a throttle body might help a little, but unless the supercharger is ported, you won't get the most out of it. In any event, you'd need an adapter without a port. I have run larger throttle bodies without a tune on my 2012 and while it's doable, it drove better and smoother with revised DBW calibrations in off idle and cruise ranges. You have to realize any power benefits will be in the extreme rpm ranges.

As far as whine, TVS' are fairly quiet in that regard. Once you start spinning that blower harder, you have a better chance of hearing something.

·
Registered
2021 RAPID RED GT500
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you're not wanting to void your warranty, you really shouldn't fool with anything. Ford will put on their boxing gloves if they suspect anything was tampered with and an engine replacement if involved. I'm just getting to the point with mine that I'm not worried about some abnormality surfacing in regards to a manufacturing defect, so it won't be long before I pull that ripcord. While I don't think you'd be in any danger in doing this, if something did happen, you have technically voided the warranty. Replacing a CAI would be very hard to prove as long as you don't have it in place when you take it in for service work. I think a throttle body might help a little, but unless the supercharger is ported, you won't get the most out of it. In any event, you'd need an adapter without a port. I have run larger throttle bodies without a tune on my 2012 and while it's doable, it drove better and smoother with revised DBW calibrations in off idle and cruise ranges. You have to realize any power benefits will be in the extreme rpm ranges.

As far as whine, TVS' are fairly quiet in that regard. Once you start spinning that blower harder, you have a better chance of hearing something.
Ok so basically it’s not worth it until I port the blower and do the mods that for sure void the warranty. Ford would be hard pressed to prove an intake was on the car if you put the stock one on I’d assume. So I’ll rack up some miles with just an intake until I decide to go all out. If you are going to void the warranty you may well add a few hundred hp😆

·
Registered
2021 RAPID RED GT500
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It all comes down to the increase in airflow-If they are claiming it does not need to tune it means there’s no appreciable increase in airflow-Don’t see the point in doing it then
My understanding was that the car automatically adjusts the air fuel for the increase in airflow because it is not a maf style car. Thats why they pick up so much power with no tune with an intake. At least thats my understanding I could be wrong.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts