Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

What do you normally use to clean the throttle body?

Today, as I was dropping in new plugs, I noticed that the throttle blades had some grime on them. I've not cleaned the inside of the throttle body since it was installed by BJ at Shelbyfest 2017.

I ended up removing the throttle body to clean it, and clean the inlet elbow. A while back I bought a two pack of MAF sensor cleaner and throttle body cleaner made by CRC. As I read the can of throttle body cleaner it specifically said not to use on supercharged cars. After reading that, I took a dry towel and cleaned the inside of the elbow and the throttle body. The grime wasn't baked on so I was able to remove it fine. But I wondered what if it had been dried on, then what would be the best way to clean it?

It made me wonder what you guys use to clean them. Do you just use a dry towel like I did, or do you use some sort of spray to help clean?

·
Premium Member
5,789 Posts
Not sure what you have in the TB and the elbow. It should only have FILTERED air through there!
Ccheck your filter!
Make certain it is all sealed, clean and all the connections are tight and sealed. There should only be FILTERED air sucked in and to/through the blower/super charger.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
33,113 Posts
The throttle body gets dirty from the PCV system. A catch can on the passenger side helps.

I haven’t cleaned mine since my Whipple install in 2012. If you remove it to clean it, I’m sure any cleaner is fine.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@'cause the grime was more on the backside of the blades, with just enough on the front side to catch my attention. With changing out the plugs I also cleaned my air filter. All the connections were tight when pulling everything apart.

As @Goose17 said, it was from the PCV system, as it was oily. I do have catch cans on both sides, however sometimes I'm not the best at remembering to empty the passenger side can. There is never anything in the drivers side. There wasn't a lot of grime by any means, but I still wanted to clean it all up.

Thanks for the input guys!

Reactions: Goose17

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,426 Posts
That's all oil that comes up from the scavenger system in the lower intake. On decel, that oil comes up and gets sprayed all over the plenum area. When the throttle blades are closed, oil get splattered up in there too. A little TB cleaner and a shop towel will help you get rid of most of it. You just don't want to go hog wild and have a lot of that stuff sitting in the bottom of the intake manifold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts