Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Alloy Metallic Gt500
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, got tired of watching the wife wrap Christmas presents so now I’m shopping throttle bodies for my 09’. Wondering if anyone has the CFM twin 67mm.

I’m not 100% happy with the tune the previous owner had so I’ll be getting a new one soon anyway. I’ll also be installing a JLT CAI and now I’m considering upgrading the throttle body while I’m at it. Looks like most everyone runs either the Ford Racing 65mm cobra jet or the VMP 67mm with the stock blower. Plan for the car is to keep the stock blower for at least 2-3 years (blown the mod budget already this year doing suspension). So I’m looking to get a little more power out of it to keep me happy for the time being.

Also considered VMP’s TB and elbow package but am hesitant to dremel the inlet of the blower. I’ve looked up several threads on this topic but most are pretty old. Just curious of everyone’s thoughts and or experience with any of the following.
1) CFM twin 67mm TB
2) Ford Racing Cobra jet 65mm TB
3) VMP twin 67mm and high flow elbow

Forgot to add, I’m already running a 2.6” pulley and aux idler. Sorry for the long post, but I tend to ramble when I’m tired. 😴

·
Premium Member
KEN (#1) '08 Vista Blue Vert, ROTM JAN. 2015
6,620 Posts
I have the twin 65 FRC and have been running on it since 2014. After 3 SC upgrades... it still manages great.
Others may prefer the 67mm, but I can attest to the 65. It works flawless and have No drive ability nor tuning issues.
I have with other Mods pretty well tapped out on Hp and Tq, trying to keep it at under 800hp to attempt avoiding destroying the lower end of the engine. I'm currently right at that limit with my trusty 65.

Reactions: JRF150

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
4,500 Posts
I would figure out who will be re-tuning your car & ask them for recommendations.
Tuners have their favorites, & some are scared to tune some T/B's.
If you have local talent, you'll get a better result than something " canned " / file..

·
Premium Member
2012 & 2021 GT500 strippers
8,394 Posts
I'm pretty sure CFM and VMP's 67mm are the same manufacturer. I'd go with the bigger throttle body. Even stock these cars can handle a lot of air flow. I've been running VMP's 67mm for about 8 years.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 DIB/Satin Black TP/PP
943 Posts
I opted for the whipple dual 68mm and it works like a champ. I would say that if youre going to have to retune anyway, and putting on the bigger T/B and CAI, then why not just drop to the 2.4 upper and be done with it? I know you said budget, but I'm pretty sure the pulley is cheaper than a new T/B (which you're already buying anyway)

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have local talent, you'll get a better result than something " canned " / file..
Been looking for someone local and think I finally found a reputable tuner who has tuned other gt500’s.
I'm pretty sure CFM and VMP's 67mm are the same manufacturer.
That’s what I’ve heard too but I wasn’t sure. Thanks.
then why not just drop to the 2.4 upper and be done with it?
That’s an option too. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
07 GT500
455 Posts
Hey guys, got tired of watching the wife wrap Christmas presents so now I’m shopping throttle bodies for my 09’. Wondering if anyone has the CFM twin 67mm.

I’m not 100% happy with the tune the previous owner had so I’ll be getting a new one soon anyway. I’ll also be installing a JLT CAI and now I’m considering upgrading the throttle body while I’m at it. Looks like most everyone runs either the Ford Racing 65mm cobra jet or the VMP 67mm with the stock blower. Plan for the car is to keep the stock blower for at least 2-3 years (blown the mod budget already this year doing suspension). So I’m looking to get a little more power out of it to keep me happy for the time being.

Also considered VMP’s TB and elbow package but am hesitant to dremel the inlet of the blower. I’ve looked up several threads on this topic but most are pretty old. Just curious of everyone’s thoughts and or experience with any of the following.
1) CFM twin 67mm TB
2) Ford Racing Cobra jet 65mm TB
3) VMP twin 67mm and high flow elbow

Forgot to add, I’m already running a 2.6” pulley and aux idler. Sorry for the long post, but I tend to ramble when I’m tired. 😴
I don't believe you port match the SC to the elbow. I believe you port match the elbow. No way would I grind on a SC. You could call Evolution Performance and see what they suggest. They were first on the scene with GT500 tuning.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't believe you port match the SC to the elbow. I believe you port match the elbow. No way would I grind on a SC. You could call Evolution Performance and see what they suggest. They were first on the scene with GT500 tuning.
This is from VMP’s website.
“ The innovative Q-port design of the VMP TVS high-flow inlet elbow requires a small amount of material removal around the port in the blower casing. Opening up the tiny oval hole in the blower is essential to getting more air into the blower and making maximum power. This can be done at home with a dremel with a good bit or a carbide burr from harbor freight. A set of files will also work, though at a much slower rate. The VMP elbow can be used as the template for opening up the blower, and the larger opening shape marked off.”

I’m with you though. I don’t think I want to mess with the inlet of the supercharger. If I’m going that far I’d probably just have it ported. My experience with stuff like that is “if it can go wrong it usually will.”

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 performance white
1,247 Posts
Running VMP as well, no issues here.

·
Premium Member
2012 & 2021 GT500 strippers
8,394 Posts
Seriously, don't spend money to port the stock blower. Put that towards a TVS. Lots of used blowers pop up time and again. The Gen 2R would be top of the heap of the 2.3s. Removing the rotor pack is not a big deal if you want to try your hand at porting a stock inlet to the elbow.

·
Premium Member
KEN (#1) '08 Vista Blue Vert, ROTM JAN. 2015
6,620 Posts
Seriously, don't spend money to port the stock blower. Put that towards a TVS. Lots of used blowers pop up time and again. The Gen 2R would be top of the heap of the 2.3s. Removing the rotor pack is not a big deal if you want to try your hand at porting a stock inlet to the elbow.
^^^^^
THIS X100 TIMES OVER !!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, I really don’t have plans to port it. If I end up wanting more I’ll definitely do a blower swap. That’s just a couple years down the road at least. This forum has been super helpful as this is my first supercharged vehicle.

·
Registered
Numerous
1,618 Posts
I'm pretty sure CFM and VMP's 67mm are the same manufacturer. I'd go with the bigger throttle body. Even stock these cars can handle a lot of air flow. I've been running VMP's 67mm for about 8 years.
:iagree:
x2.

VMP's 67mm is a branded version of CFM's Twin 67mm Twin Bore Billet TB. Jim @ Cushman Motorsports sells the CFM unit for $629 and is sometimes able to do a little better. (He was excellent to deal with when I bought mine.) VMP sells their branded 67mm TB for $799. (IMO, "VMP" lettering isn't worth the $170 markup.) FWIW, I remain happy with my CFM, almost 15K miles and four years after install.

TVS upgrade will provide a lot more bang for your buck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
:iagree:
x2.

VMP's 67mm is a branded version of CFM's Twin 67mm Twin Bore Billet TB. Jim @ Cushman Motorsports sells the CFM unit for $629 and is sometimes able to do a little better. (He was excellent to deal with when I bought mine.) VMP sells their branded 67mm TB for $799. (IMO, "VMP" lettering isn't worth the $170 markup.) FWIW, I remain happy with my CFM, almost 15K miles and four years after install.

TVS upgrade will provide a lot more bang for your buck.
I was hoping the CFM was the same. If I go the 67mm route I’ll definitely reach out to Jim. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Talked to my tuner today and he suggested going with the Ford performance dual 65mm. Said he’s tuned many with that throttle body and drive ability would be very good. Ordered one today and getting tuned next Friday. Can’t wait! Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
2021 GT500 Carbonized Grey 2019 Harley Davidson F150 1968 Mustang GTA
75 Posts
WHen I had my 11, I tried a few different TB's The one I ended with was the FRP twin 65, along with the CJ CAI. I had modified the stock air box so it would fit.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
38,369 Posts
Also running the FR twin 65 since 2012 with zero issues… drives like stock, but with more cajones.

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Blue

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WHen I had my 11, I tried a few different TB's The one I ended with was the FRP twin 65, along with the CJ CAI. I had modified the stock air box so it would fit.
Also running the FR twin 65 since 2012 with zero issues… drives like stock, but with more cajones.

View attachment 228780
Thanks guys. Installed the Ford racing twin 65 yesterday and got it tuned. After just a couple drives I’m really liking it so far. 👍🏼

1 - 19 of 19 Posts