Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got car up on jack stands to install LCAs and could not remove rear wheels because no WHEEL LOCK!!!!. Man am I @##$&* when I call my dealer, he said bring up the car and they will try to remove the wheels. They had no universal keys or any Idea what they had to do, other than destroy the wheels in the process. So I took the car home to research a better Idea. Do any of you know a way to remove these wheel locks without damaging the wheels?

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
10,097 Posts
If they are McGuard locks, most dealers have a key kit that has mutiple keys to remove all McGuard wheel locks. If your dealer doesn't , call around, you should be able to find a dealer to help you. I've heard that some techs have had success by carefully using a pneumatic chizel or pounding on a socket that is about the same circumfrence and then carefully using a socket drive to remove the lock.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Sorry to hear that, when I picked mine up the lugs they took out to replace with the locks were in the pouch with the lock key and the card with the code in case I loose or break the key. I would try to find out from the dealer did the PDI for your car since they are to blame, good luck

·
Registered
547 Posts
I ran into this same thing when I bought my Mach 1 last year. Check around at tire/wheel places. They have a special socket that they can use that will take off the wheel lock. It will ruin that nut, but at least you'll be able to get the wheels off. It cuts into the outside of the nut and they use it on an impact wrench. It worked like a charm and took only a few seconds for each wheel. I had spare nuts to replace the ones we took off. They did it for free for me, but I bought all my tires from them over the years. That would be my best recommendation.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Gassman,
Are you sure that you even have your wheel locks on?? They do not put your wheel locks on from the factory.. So unless you put the wheel locks on when you took delivery they are not even on.. The only reason I say this is because when I lowered my car the tech said where is your wheel lock and I was like oh $#1& then he said did you put them on when you took delivery and I said no.. Then he said don't worry because they aren't even on.. Just my $.02 ... Maybe they don't even have them on...

·
Registered
658 Posts
Gassman,
Are you sure that you even have your wheel locks on?? They do not put your wheel locks on from the factory.. So unless you put the wheel locks on when you took delivery they are not even on.. The only reason I say this is because when I lowered my car the tech said where is your wheel lock and I was like oh $#1& then he said did you put them on when you took delivery and I said no.. Then he said don't worry because they aren't even on.. Just my $.02 ... Maybe they don't even have them on...
My 08 had locks on it from day one ................

·
Registered
806 Posts
My late build 07 does not have wheel locks.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
My late build 07 does not have wheel locks.
All GT500s are supposed to come with wheel locks as standard equipment. They are NOT installed by the factory. Mine were in a white plastic bag under the trunk mat in the spare tire well. You may find them there as well.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I ran into this same thing when I bought my Mach 1 last year. Check around at tire/wheel places. They have a special socket that they can use that will take off the wheel lock. It will ruin that nut, but at least you'll be able to get the wheels off. It cuts into the outside of the nut and they use it on an impact wrench. It worked like a charm and took only a few seconds for each wheel. I had spare nuts to replace the ones we took off. They did it for free for me, but I bought all my tires from them over the years. That would be my best recommendation.
This socket is also available at auto supply stores such as Pep Boys. Ran into this problem when my son lost the key to his wheels. Worked well but required a good vice and patience to remove the lock from the socket tool.

·
Registered
298 Posts
+1 - My 07 has no locks on the wheels nor never did. Snap On or one of the other tool company make a kit that has various sockets on it that go over the wheel lock outside diameter and grip tight to remove them....

·
Registered
806 Posts
I found mine, in the Glove box.

·
Registered
373 Posts
glove box here too!

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the tips. Went to Pepboys and bought a reverse emergency lugnut/Locknut remover. Done in 30 mins for 19 bucks. Before I did this myself, the dealer said they would need the car for 2 days and had no idea how they would take off the locks. WHAT THA $%#@@!!!. Geeeessse, do I need to show this dealer what's up?! Surf's up gotta go.

·
Registered
547 Posts
It is surprising what people don't know considering that nobody at the dealership offered up the suggestion of either getting that tool or going to a tire place and having them remove them for you. I figured I'd never need the tool again so just let my tire shop take mine off with their tool. Glad everything worked out for you. :)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Thanks for the tips. Went to Pepboys and bought a reverse emergency lugnut/Locknut remover. Done in 30 mins for 19 bucks. Before I did this myself, the dealer said they would need the car for 2 days and had no idea how they would take off the locks. WHAT THA $%#@@!!!. Geeeessse, do I need to show this dealer what's up?! Surf's up gotta go.
If anyone can go to the local auto parts store and buy a tool to remove the locks for 19 bucks, it kinda defeats the purpose of using wheel locks, doesn't it? :ack:

·
Registered
547 Posts
If anyone can go to the local auto parts store and buy a tool to remove the locks for 19 bucks, it kinda defeats the purpose of using wheel locks, doesn't it? :ack:
Pretty much! Best prevention is don't park your car anywhere you have to worry about such things. Because if you are parked somewhere that someone is going to steal your wheels, then the wheel lock isn't going to stop them especially in this day and age when we have cordless impact wrenches which would easily twist off the wheel lock with one of those special sockets.

·
Registered
658 Posts
The bottom line is that locks just keep honest people honest.
If someone wants something bad enough, they are going to get it.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

It's like door locks,it only keeps the honest people honest.If they want in your car they can through a brick through the side window and they are in.A pro can steal anything.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
It's like door locks,it only keeps the honest people honest.If they want in your car they can through a brick through the side window and they are in.A pro can steal anything.
Yeah. People suck. :cowtounge:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts