Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a lot of people looking at the car as I drove around this past week (thought one guy was going to fall out the window of his F-150 as I drove by), and I just had a neighbor from down the street stop out of the blue by to talk about the car.

He really seemed to like it, very effusive in his praise of the car, and he made a point of congratulating me on getting this car instead of the Z06 I'd been looking at (I had it in my driveway at one point). He also mentioned that he had a 1970 Grabber Blue Mach 1 in his garage and wanted to know if he could take some pics of the two cars together sometime. Absolutely, and I'd love to see the Mach 1.

He's lived down the street for 4/5 years now and we'd never done more than wave at each other as we drove by. There's just something about these cars... :)

·
Banned
1,592 Posts
What's cool about the GT500 is that the average person just thinks it's a regular Mustang.....people who know cars, though....are very enthusiastic about the vehicle...and for me, being a chick....lol....they are surprised that....A...I can drive stick....and B....as a female I would want a car with 500hp stock....lol

·
Registered
411 Posts
I've had a lot of people looking at the car as I drove around this past week (thought one guy was going to fall out the window of his F-150 as I drove by), and I just had a neighbor from down the street stop out of the blue by to talk about the car.

He really seemed to like it, very effusive in his praise of the car, and he made a point of congratulating me on getting this car instead of the Z06 I'd been looking at (I had it in my driveway at one point). He also mentioned that he had a 1970 Grabber Blue Mach 1 in his garage and wanted to know if he could take some pics of the two cars together sometime. Absolutely, and I'd love to see the Mach 1.

He's lived down the street for 4/5 years now and we'd never done more than wave at each other as we drove by. There's just something about these cars... :)
I agree, more folks know about the car than I thought. Always draws a crowd, regardless of other vehicles in the area. Enjoy.

·
Registered
867 Posts
What's cool about the GT500 is that the average person just thinks it's a regular Mustang.....people who know cars, though....are very enthusiastic about the vehicle...and for me, being a chick....lol....they are surprised that....A...I can drive stick....and B....as a female I would want a car with 500hp stock....lol
Mmmm, chicks that drive stick :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had one of the very first cars delivered in this area. Since it is my daily driver, it probably got seen by more folks than many of the other early cars that people didn't seem to drive much. It felt like being a minor rock star. Can't say how many phone-camera pix were taken as I drove, how many thumbs-up I got, how many folks followed me to a parking lot to get out and talk.
It still happens - not as much as before, of course - a few times a week.
All in all, after three full model years' run of GT500s, I almost never see another one on the roads unless it's in a Mustang club event or 'show and shine' event. That said, I found out after about a year that another person in my housing development - no more than 300 yards away - owns an '08 coupe. What great taste in cars - except for his choice of Alloy, not RED.

·
Banned
1,592 Posts
I went to a Mustang meet...and I had the only Shelby...though there were by no means hundreds of cars...and I felt like a FREAKIN' rock star....haha..

·
Registered
172 Posts
No doubt the car draws a LOT of attention by people of all ages, gender etc. It was a little hard to get used to at first. Even now I catch myself thinking "WTF are you looking at?" at a stoplight, then realizing "oh yeah it's the car."

·
Registered
29 Posts
No doubt the car draws a LOT of attention by people of all ages, gender etc. It was a little hard to get used to at first. Even now I catch myself thinking "WTF are you looking at?" at a stoplight, then realizing "oh yeah it's the car."
:rofl: Funny post.

·
Banned
1,592 Posts
:spineyes: Most chicks that drive cars like ours are usually better drivers than the average dude like me. But I see what your gettin at:grinbiginvert:
LOL.....I'm a pretty good driver...NOW...even drive a truck for work...but they're automatic, anyways

BUT...the first day I got my license....at 17...took my Dad's 1976 Caprice Classic Station Wagon out for a ride and ended up upside down...literally....haha...at least I got my first big accident out of the way...lol

·
Registered
85 Posts
Orf-meister -
Leave it to me to draw you out. I'd make an exception for your fine Alloy 'vert.
FYI, I've just finished doing some of the stuff you've already done a couple of years ago. I did Steeda UCA, LCA, Springs, Bump-steer, Ball joints, and D-specs. Whose says this car doesn't handle? It's a ton better than when it was stock.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Orf-meister -
Leave it to me to draw you out. I'd make an exception for your fine Alloy 'vert.
FYI, I've just finished doing some of the stuff you've already done a couple of years ago. I did Steeda UCA, LCA, Springs, Bump-steer, Ball joints, and D-specs. Whose says this car doesn't handle? It's a ton better than when it was stock.
I'm still longing to do what you did first - the Watts Link.

I still chuckle at the people who say, "but it still has a solid rear axle". I think the Koni Challenge would have out that argument to rest.

I will agree with what you said. Modified, these cars are way better than stock. In stock form, the suspension leaves much to be desired.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm still longing to do what you did first - the Watts Link.

I still chuckle at the people who say, "but it still has a solid rear axle". I think the Koni Challenge would have out that argument to rest.

I will agree with what you said. Modified, these cars are way better than stock. In stock form, the suspension leaves much to be desired.
Orf-
Is this your way of asking me to be your enabler? I can do that for you. I can rationalize ANYTHING!

Amen to the comment about the stock suspension. I remember the first time I drove over some multiple railroad tracks at a humped-up grade crossing. I had this sick feeling in my stomach that the car was all go and no handling. I'll say it again - The Watts link made a big difference without installing any other suspension parts. Obviously I can't compare it side by side with other things such as an improved Panhard bar with better bushings because I didn't go that route first.
C'mon, you KNOW you want it. I'll chant a couple of spells for you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
First post for me, guys and gals. Great site, btw. Before I got the Shelby a few weeks ago, I had a 2005 Saleen. Seemed like every ricer, 'maro and GTO on the road wanted to test it. But no one wants to test the GT500. Its reputation precedes itself.

Be safe!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I went to a Mustang meet...and I had the only Shelby...though there were by no means hundreds of cars...and I felt like a FREAKIN' rock star....haha..
+1
I just went to the bluegrass mustang club show this past Sat. and was the only Shelby in the show out of 105 cars. One other Shelby was there but was not showing as he was a judge.

·
Banned
1,592 Posts
These cars are the poor man's ferrarri....lol...and in this recession...not many middle class people are buying them...and RICH people...well they're buying...Ferrarris.....lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts