Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,639 Posts
No, I grew up in New Jersey a town called Rahway so famous we had the State Prison!:rolleyes:
My 1961 Corvette had a 1964 Fuel Injected Motor minus the fuel injection! I spent about as much time working on it
as actually driving it. My Senior year I sold it and ordered a triple black 396 375HP Chevelle which imbedded Horse Power into my brain. Fun times!
Here is my Ferrari being assembled at the Factory! Check out that motor! View attachment 197016 View attachment 197017 View attachment 197018
Love the photos...

Yep, if you ordered a 396/375 Chevelle brand-new, then you would've looked pretty silly/creepy cruising the JV parking lot at my high school with a 1961 Corvette in 1985 LOL...

I started driving in 1984, believe it or not, in a 1969 GT350. My dad was sidelining in buying/selling cars from the 50's and 60's, and the GT350 was a machine that he bought cheap, but failed to find a willing buyer.. Since "my car" (a 1969 Mach 1 that I purchased at age 14 for $1000 bucks) was still in a million pieces as I approached my 16th birthday, I helped my pops replace a rusty torque box in the Shelby, and we rebuilt the steering, and that became my ride.

My dad must've been nuts... ;) LOL...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Love the photos...

Yep, if you ordered a 396/375 Chevelle brand-new, then you would've looked pretty silly/creepy cruising the JV parking lot at my high school with a 1961 Corvette in 1985 LOL...

I started driving in 1984, believe it or not, in a 1969 GT350. My dad was sidelining in buying/selling cars from the 50's and 60's, and the GT350 was a machine that he bought cheap, but failed to find a willing buyer.. Since "my car" (a 1969 Mach 1 that I purchased at age 14 for $1000 bucks) was still in a million pieces as I approached my 16th birthday, I helped my pops replace a rusty torque box in the Shelby, and we rebuilt the steering, and that became my ride.

Ha! Good for you, by 1985 I was married with a daughter, time certainly goes by quickly!

·
Registered
2014 GT500 DIB/Satin Black TP/PP
348 Posts
I went down to the Chevy dealer a few days ago to see if I could get an owner's manual for my 2018 Silverado that I just bought used.

A 2019 Yellow Z06 was sitting there that caught my eye. They had $88k on the sticker, the salesman told me they would do $10k off since they wanted to make room for the 2020's. I've always wanted a Vette, especially a Z06. I could probably get it for $75k. Not sure of which trim level it is. I know it has the 8-speed auto.
Since you only live once, I'm thinking of selling my '14 GT500 and buying the Vette.

What do you guys think a bone-stock car would bring? It has everything except the glass roof. DIB with White stripes. 21k miles.

It's in the shop getting the damage I did to it repaired from when I smacked the muffler into a curb. Nothing major, just crushed the exit pipes and the valance.
Just bought mine a week ago. '14 w/ track pack and audio pack. No touch screen, no glass roof. DIB w/ satin black stripes. Only 6300 miles and it was listed at 48k. Hope that helps. You could KBB and or NADA it and see what they say. Also use car gurus site and search within 500mi for a '14 gt500 and see what they're listing for near you

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Just bought mine a week ago. '14 w/ track pack and audio pack. No touch screen, no glass roof. DIB w/ satin black stripes. Only 6300 miles and it was listed at 48k. Hope that helps. You could KBB and or NADA it and see what they say. Also use car gurus site and search within 500mi for a '14 gt500 and see what they're listing for near you
I haven't been here for a while, too busy trying to get my shit together to move in 5 weeks.
This does help, thanks!!

I don't have time right now to respond to all of your posts, but have read them and appreciate what's been discussed.

I have an opportunity to buy a car that was used by GM at the racetrack. It has ~7000 miles. It has the Z07 option, which means it has carbon-ceramic brakes. I'm thinking that those may need to be replaced due to the track time.
What if any experiences do you vette guys have with these carbon rotors and track usage? Do they wear down pretty fast? Should I look for a car with steel brakes?
Thanks for your help!!
Dan

·
Super Moderator
5,346 Posts
I haven't been here for a while, too busy trying to get my shit together to move in 5 weeks.
This does help, thanks!!

I don't have time right now to respond to all of your posts, but have read them and appreciate what's been discussed.

I have an opportunity to buy a car that was used by GM at the racetrack. It has ~7000 miles. It has the Z07 option, which means it has carbon-ceramic brakes. I'm thinking that those may need to be replaced due to the track time.
What if any experiences do you vette guys have with these carbon rotors and track usage? Do they wear down pretty fast? Should I look for a car with steel brakes?
Thanks for your help!!
Dan
You may already be aware but those carbon rotors are EXPEEEEEENSIVE! But they work extremely well. I see used sets for sale every so often on a different forum and they are priced according to the weights in grams, i.e. how much mass is still remaining.

·
Registered
348 Posts
This does help, thanks!!

Thanks for your help!!
Dan
My only concern with a car like that is, if they were tracking the car, they definitely ran it hard. That doesnt mean it wasnt taken care of, but they definitely put it through the wringer.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
During my search for a Vette, I stumbled on a Lambo Advenrador for the same price as a new Z06. Lambos have always had a special place in my heart. But, looking online at Lambos I found a McLaren MC12C? Model name from memory, at the same price as the Lamborghini. I've fallen in love with the McLaren, so when this stay at home is lifted, I'm thinking to get one.
It may replace the Shelby or it may become it's stablemate.?

·
Premium Member
6,639 Posts
I don't recall the specific models exactly, all I know is that I have a neighbor who picked up a low-mile used Lamborghini Murcielago several years ago, hardly got to drive it due to constant "issues" sending it back to the shop, and after dumping thousands upon thousands towards said-repairs, he finally cut his losses and moved over to a low-mile used McLaren of some year/model (fairly recent), and he LOVES it.. Says it's a far better vehicle, faster, more comfortable to drive, and all he's had to do is add gas and drive. FWIW..

·
Premium Member
6,163 Posts
During my search for a Vette, I stumbled on a Lambo Advenrador for the same price as a new Z06. Lambos have always had a special place in my heart. But, looking online at Lambos I found a McLaren MC12C? Model name from memory, at the same price as the Lamborghini. I've fallen in love with the McLaren, so when this stay at home is lifted, I'm thinking to get one.
It may replace the Shelby or it may become it's stablemate.?
No way a Lamborghini Aventador is the same orice as a Z06 unless it was flooded, hail damaged and 800,000 miles on it. They were 400k+ when new and they are not that old.

Mclaren MC12C are great performers when they run. These early models are plagued with Alfa Romeo like reliability. The newer Mclaren‘s are much better. I believe an annual cost of an extended warranty runs around 9K per year.

Just google reliability for Mclaren and MC12C and read for yourself. I thought I remember reading a battery replacement alone is $3200.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
34,065 Posts
Just google reliability for Mclaren and MC12C and read for yourself. I thought I remember reading a battery replacement alone is $3200.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You should be careful and make sure these type vehicles have full service records from their respective dealerships otherwise you could find yourself with a rather large bill.
i drive a Ferrari 430 purchased from my dealer Ferrari Maserati of Atlanta they treat my car like it’s theirs. My yearly fluid flush with a detail is $1,000. However you should be prepared for an additional expense on occasion, a couple of years ago I had my oil / water pump replaced at $7K so I wouldn’t consider an exotic vehicle unless it came certified from it’s respective dealer.
On occasion when I stop by for a visit they will show me an “EBay” special. Usually purchased at a discount price with a 5 digit bill to simply perform necessary service that was neglected.
These cars are wonderful to drive, and can be a good investment if you carefully select the right vehicle.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Maintenance and repairs are something that I am very comfortable with doing myself. So unless parts are stupid expensive, it shouldn't be much if an issue.
For the McLaren, the clutch would likely need replacing unless already recently done, as it is not a dual-disc. Otherwise, as long as mileage is low, I'd expect a lot of fun without too much in the way of expenses.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Research this before you consider a purchase! On the Lamborghini Forum I read a horror story from a fellow that replaced his own Clutch. Car wouldn’t move until computer was told it had a new clutch. Only authorized Lamborghini dealers can accomplish this. He had to have his vehicle trailered to an authorized dealer in another state to have this service done. He was charged to examine clutch repair was done correctly, final bill with tow exceeding initial expense.
In another instance a friend of mine an airline pilot did his own Ferrari 348 belt service in his garage, when he was finished car didn’t run correctly and wound up at dealer where job was redone correctly.
I have a complete set of mechanics tools and worked on all my high performance cars in my youth. My garage has two lifts one equipped with sliding jack trays as I planned to do modest repairs myself. However age and finances combined with quality dealers quickly changed my plans.
Todays automobiles with their computers are a far cry from the cars of my youth. Having fuel and spark isn’t what it used to be.:rolleyes:

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
9,748 Posts
Love the photos...

Yeh Rick, but he got so much smarter as you grew older! Give him my best regards!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Fast forward a few months and I have done it!
That is, I traded my Shelby for a 2014 McLaren MP4-12C Spider. The car has a performance exhaust (catless downpipes and muffler delete) along with an ECU re-tune, putting out 740 rwhp. The car has extensive carbon fiber parts, including wheels, airbrake, engine covers, mirrors, intake vents, and a bunch of other parts, inside and out. It is wicked fast, has a 7 speed dct, twin-turbo 3.8L v-8. It has just under 17k miles, 8-year, 100k warranty.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Fast forward a few months and I have done it!
That is, I traded my Shelby for a 2014 McLaren MP4-12C Spider. The car has a performance exhaust (catless downpipes and muffler delete) along with an ECU re-tune, putting out 740 rwhp. The car has extensive carbon fiber parts, including wheels, airbrake, engine covers, mirrors, intake vents, and a bunch of other parts, inside and out. It is wicked fast, has a 7 speed dct, twin-turbo 3.8L v-8. It has just under 17k miles, 8-year, 100k warranty.
View attachment 205465 View attachment 205466 View attachment 205467 View attachment 205468
Thats a good lookin car man! Happy to see you went with a McLaren and not the vette. Dont get me wrong, vettes are nice, but seeing someone go from the oval to the bow tie is a little heart breaking. Lol!

41 - 60 of 69 Posts