1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
54,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
2020 GT500
21 Posts
Meh, I don't find this interesting, at all. I don't care for Cammisa as I think he is a bit arrogant, and as far as racing a Tesla, or really any electric car, against an ICE, it is not an apples-to-apples comparison. Telsa did a great job at making a car (i.e. Plaid) that is really quick for a short distance, but what about range? Who wants to spend (potentially) hours at a charging station waiting for charging spots to open up and then to charge their electric car? There is no shortage of people complaining about the lack of available charging stations on road trips. I guess some don't mind waiting, but I am not one of them. These 0-60 races should include a road trip of 500 miles. I'll bet the ICE wins by a half an hour at least every time. One half hour is 1,800 seconds, which crushes the Tesla 0-60 advantage of about 1 or 1.5 seconds. Teslas are not "quick" at all over distance.

· Moderator/Admin Dude!
54,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Meh, I don't find this interesting, at all. I don't care for Cammisa as I think he is a bit arrogant, and as far as racing a Tesla, or really any electric car, against an ICE, it is not an apples-to-apples comparison. Telsa did a great job at making a car (i.e. Plaid) that is really quick for a short distance, but what about range? Who wants to spend (potentially) hours at a charging station waiting for charging spots to open up and then to charge their electric car? There is no shortage of people complaining about the lack of available charging stations on road trips. I guess some don't mind waiting, but I am not one of them. These 0-60 races should include a road trip of 500 miles. I'll bet the ICE wins by a half an hour at least every time. One half hour is 1,800 seconds, which crushes the Tesla 0-60 advantage of about 1 or 1.5 seconds. Teslas are not "quick" at all over distance.
Unless you travel for work, how often are you doing a road trip? My wife has had her Mach E 8 months and has only charged at home. It’s easy/convenient.

· Registered
2020 GT500
21 Posts
Most people don't travel a whole lot for work, but most people don't need or want to go from 0 to 60 in 2-3 seconds either. The point I was trying to make is that if you are going to compare the cars, then compare them in multiple categories, including a category where the electric car's range is considered. Range has never been a factor in ICE cars because of the prevalence of gas stations, but now that electric has come on the scene, range should be added to these sorts of evaluations so one gets the whole story, rather than just half the story.

· Moderator/Admin Dude!
54,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Most people don't travel a whole lot for work, but most people don't need or want to go from 0 to 60 in 2-3 seconds either. The point I was trying to make is that if you are going to compare the cars, then compare them in multiple categories, including a category where the electric car's range is considered. Range has never been a factor in ICE cars because of the prevalence of gas stations, but now that electric has come on the scene, range should be added to these sorts of evaluations so one gets the whole story, rather than just half the story.
Yes Jess! If your only vehicle is electric, range would be a serious issue to consider.

· Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
2,204 Posts
Let’s not forget that when cars were invented there were no roads. It wasn’t until 1956 that President Eisenhower signed the Federal Aid Highway Act creating the Interstate Highway system. Point is, technology will always outpace the support network for it. In time you’ll see electric chargers at every gas station and major convenience stores. It just takes time for the infrastructure to catch up. And while it does, battery recharge times are being reduced significantly.

· Registered
2020 GT500
21 Posts
Let’s not forget that when cars were invented there were no roads. It wasn’t until 1956 that President Eisenhower signed the Federal Aid Highway Act creating the Interstate Highway system. Point is, technology will always outpace the support network for it. In time you’ll see electric chargers at every gas station and major convenience stores. It just takes time for the infrastructure to catch up. And while it does, battery recharge times are being reduced significantly.
I expect charging infrastructure will catch up, but until that occurs, range, charge time, and charger access should be a factor in these comparisons. Perhaps by shining a bright light on the fact that range, charge time, and charger access are limiting factors in the use of these cars, industry or whoever will address these limitations. And until these shortcomings are addressed to the extent that ease and convenience is comparable to a gas station, any comparison to an ICE should include a discussion about these limitations. If not, you are not being straight with the consumer. For some, these limitations are not a factor because they do not drive that far, but for me, it is a deal killer.

· Super Moderator
8,555 Posts
The Government is already wasting enough of my life minutes with useless BS so I’ll just hope ICE holds out till I'm gone. I don’t want to waste any more of my valuable minutes sitting at a charging station.

Reactions: 03reptile

· Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
2,204 Posts
I expect charging infrastructure will catch up, but until that occurs, range, charge time, and charger access should be a factor in these comparisons. Perhaps by shining a bright light on the fact that range, charge time, and charger access are limiting factors in the use of these cars, industry or whoever will address these limitations. And until these shortcomings are addressed to the extent that ease and convenience is comparable to a gas station, any comparison to an ICE should include a discussion about these limitations. If not, you are not being straight with the consumer. For some, these limitations are not a factor because they do not drive that far, but for me, it is a deal killer.
Well considering the video was only talking about the their acceleration I see no reason for them to even mention range, power, charge time, or anything else not related to the tagline. There’s already a ton of articles comparing range and tackling the research and development of EVs vs ICE. We get that you don’t like the video, but I don’t see any merit to your argument insofar as the video is concerned.

· Registered
2020 GT500
21 Posts
Well considering the video was only talking about the their acceleration I see no reason for them to even mention range, power, charge time, or anything else not related to the tagline. There’s already a ton of articles comparing range and tackling the research and development of EVs vs ICE. We get that you don’t like the video, but I don’t see any merit to your argument insofar as the video is concerned.
I see the title/tagline: "The world's quickest cars" and my point is that in one aspect the electric cars can be quick (as you note with "acceleration"), but not quick at all when you consider everything that goes with keeping them charged or driving them for any appreciable distance. See my first post; so no, they are not quick in a general sense.

· Moderator/Admin Dude!
54,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My wife’s E GT is quick as shit out of the hole. It’s not good in a roll race type setting. I’ve been there when a 5.0 Mustang challenged us when I was driving us to a restaurant. :ROFLMAO:

As for “wasting time when charging,” the opposite is true in my wife’s case. The vehicle is an around town commuter car. It gets plugged in periodically at home. No more stops at gas stations or service calls for oil changes. It is actually a time saver in her case.

· Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
2,204 Posts
I see the title/tagline: "The world's quickest cars" and my point is that in one aspect the electric cars can be quick (as you note with "acceleration"), but not quick at all when you consider everything that goes with keeping them charged or driving them for any appreciable distance. See my first post; so no, they are not quick in a general sense.
Not to belabor the point but you’re assigning a strawman argument for something that was not implied. The video specifically states “worlds fastest drag race” of OEM electric vs the quickest OEM ICE vehicle. “Quickest” is directly implied as “covering a quarter mile in the least amount of time”. There is nothing “general” about it. If you’re going to be fair and honest you have no real argument about the claim in the video and are assigning a strawman argument as to why you don’t like it. It is exactly an “apples to apples comparison” which you said it wasn’t.

Might as well complain that they didn’t use all-season tires on the car vs high-performance summer tires since Joe Blow drivers don’t typically have them on their daily drivers 🤣

· #1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
12,181 Posts
My wife’s E GT is quick as shit out of the hole. It’s not good in a roll race type setting. I’ve been there when a 5.0 Mustang challenged us when I was driving us to a restaurant. :ROFLMAO:

As for “wasting time when charging,” the opposite is true in my wife’s case. The vehicle is an around town commuter car. It gets plugged in periodically at home. No more stops at gas stations or service calls for oil changes. It is actually a time saver in her case.
Diane's requirements for her daily vehicle usage are perfect for an EV. That said, many folks don't fall into that specific category, or even similar, which makes the EV a challenge for folks that use a car for more versatile usage. As I've said many times before, the EV has a place for around-town driving requirements, but many drivers will find the EV doesn't meet their needs.

· Registered
2020 GT500
21 Posts
Not to belabor the point but you’re assigning a strawman argument for something that was not implied. The video specifically states “worlds fastest drag race” of OEM electric vs the quickest OEM ICE vehicle. “Quickest” is directly implied as “covering a quarter mile in the least amount of time”. There is nothing “general” about it. If you’re going to be fair and honest you have no real argument about the claim in the video and are assigning a strawman argument as to why you don’t like it. It is exactly an “apples to apples comparison” which you said it wasn’t.

Might as well complain that they didn’t use all-season tires on the car vs high-performance summer tires since Joe Blow drivers don’t typically have them on their daily drivers 🤣
Not to belabor the point? The video's title explicitly says "the world's quickest cars." I am not considering what was implied when the title was explicit. Thus, not a strawman argument. "Quickest" can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people in a lot of different circumstances. It clearly means different things to you and me. Your definition is not anymore correct than mine, and that's fair and honest. 🤣

· Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
2,204 Posts
Not to belabor the point? The video's title explicitly says "the world's quickest cars." I am not considering what was implied when the title was explicit. Thus, not a strawman argument. "Quickest" can mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people in a lot of different circumstances. It clearly means different things to you and me. Your definition is not anymore correct than mine, and that's fair and honest. 🤣
A video specifically about drag racing…yeah it should’ve been about charging times or range 🤣🤣🤣

Whatever ya say bud, this is where I stop wasting my time with you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts