Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I am a newbie that is trying to decide what my first mods should be and looking for advice on a logical process to improve the HP in my car modestly while not making myself vulnerabe to (very much) warranty scrutiny, and pass emissions here in Phoenix.

The accessories manager at the dealership I bought her at is claiming that there are no long tube headers that are emissions compliant, though I am confused because the American Racing Long Tube headers are able to run through cats. He claimed that without a D.O.T. compliant stamp/number they are not legal.

Also I have looked at the Evo stage 4 performance kit with wanting eyes :devil: but am wondering if the dealer will give me strife if there is an issue with the car later on down the road. In other threads I have read that each dealer handles issues differently which would make sense, but I guess i am curious what you think about the added giggles per mile from the package versus the potential service headaches later down the road. Thanks...

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I'm crossing my fingers that I won't run into emissions issues with my LT headers. I'm running cats and without putting the car on a lift, you can hardly tell (visually) that I'm running headers. We'll see in about 4 years.

The Evo Stage 4 is insane. I love it. She's a freekin' rocket!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea here in Phoenix in times past newer vehicles that I have had tested were only plugged into a computer through the OBD system and had the fuel cap off so I didn't think I should have any problems when that time comes. How is the clearance of the LT headers? Is the exhaust included in the package pretty loud? Thanks..

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Yea here in Phoenix in times past newer vehicles that I have had tested were only plugged into a computer through the OBD system and had the fuel cap off so I didn't think I should have any problems when that time comes. How is the clearance of the LT headers? Is the exhaust included in the package pretty loud? Thanks..
The fit is great. No issues at all. I didn't install them myself, but the guy who did it said it was a major PITA. With the LT headers, the cats hang down lower than stock, and with my Shelby lowered, I've got to be careful. Speed bumps are out of the question.

The exhaust with the Evo Stage 4 is pretty darn loud. Under acceleration, it screams...the headers make it pretty raspy. Old ladies keel over and and small kids run scared. While cruising at constant speed, it really isn't too bad. Great, aggressive rumble, but you can still hold a conversation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I can't imagine the dealer will overlook the headers if a serious warranty issue came up. My dealer logged everything they could see on my '03...even down to the aftermarket shifter and gauges. Oddly, I was never denied service because the mods never impacted the warrantied item.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm crossing my fingers that I won't run into emissions issues with my LT headers. I'm running cats and without putting the car on a lift, you can hardly tell (visually) that I'm running headers. We'll see in about 4 years.

The Evo Stage 4 is insane. I love it. She's a freekin' rocket!
Hey Prez...

Off-topic...did you ever hear from Stieg. on porting #'s?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Hey Prez...

Off-topic...did you ever hear from Stieg. on porting #'s?
Yeah, but he didn't offer too many details.

40-50 hp with a 2.2 pulley

With my current setup, he recommends Max Porting and Blueprinting to "extend the life of you supercharger and increase performance 25 HP."

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I can't imagine the dealer will overlook the headers if a serious warranty issue came up. My dealer logged everything they could see on my '03...even down to the aftermarket shifter and gauges. Oddly, I was never denied service because the mods never impacted the warrantied item.
You got that right. When it comes to warranty issues, you need to find a really cool dealer that is mod-friendly.

A flunky working at an emissions station isn't going to take the time to look that closely.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
A flunky working at an emissions station
Now that's not nice, some of my best friends turn a wrench. Now tell that to your installer the next time you want to add a mod, since you passed on the install yourself for what ever reason. So who's the flunky?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Now that's not nice, some of my best friends turn a wrench. Now tell that to your installer the next time you want to add a mod, since you passed on the install yourself for what ever reason. So who's the flunky?
I didn't mean any offense. The people that work at emissions stations around here are not mechanics. I have the utmost respect for mechanics. The emissions folks in my area get in the car and push the gas pedal. That's it. No knowledge of cars is required. Some of them can barely operate a manual transmission.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I didn't mean any offense. The people that work at emissions stations around here are not mechanics. I have the utmost respect for mechanics. The emissions folks in my area get in the car and push the gas pedal. That's it. No knowledge of cars is required. Some of them can barely operate a manual transmission.
I was not aware of that Rick. Here in New York our mechanics wear many hats, but they don't do windows.:roller:

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I was not aware of that Rick. Here in New York our mechanics wear many hats, but they don't do windows.:roller:
I wish our mechanics did emissions. All our emissions stations are standalone operations...that's all they do. I'm scared every time I go to an emissions station around here. There's usually some room temperature IQ high school kid in there who has never driven a manual trans car in his life. Last time a took my truck in, the kid almost drove it into a wall. I dread the day I have to take Shelby in. :ack:

·
Registered
233 Posts
There's a particularly unskilled crew at the wonderfuilly new facility on County Line or Lincoln, I always did confuse those two roads. ;) They are most definitely not mechanics, just state government employees.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts