Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to sound like a novice, I haven't owned a 500hp with a 6 speed before. I just wanted to get some feedback with regards to getting a good and fast start without frying up your tires and losing hp. I tried taking off keeping the rpm’s low for the first second or so then pounding the throttle and I am still all over the place. With TSC off.
Not sure if your keeping the TSC on, I know you loose some power.
Any feedback back out there?:ack:

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Good luck, NYC. Especially with the stock tires, it's tough to launch without frying the tires. I rarely turn off the traction control these days. Now that I have 3.73 gears, I fry the tires all the time, even with the TC on. With the TC off, I go nowhere. Time for new rubber.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good luck, NYC. Especially with the stock tires, it's tough to launch without frying the tires. I rarely turn off the traction control these days. Now that I have 3.73 gears, I fry the tires all the time, even with the TC on. With the TC off, I go nowhere. Time for new rubber.
Thats what I thought, any suggestion on rubber....

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Thats what I thought, any suggestion on rubber....
I'll probably go with Nittos. I'm picking up a set of stock rims for the rear and having them widened. Then I'll pick up some Nitto NT555 335/30/18s. That should get the power to the road.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I'll probably go with Nittos. I'm picking up a set of stock rims for the rear and having them widened. Then I'll pick up some Nitto NT555 335/30/18s. That should get the power to the road.
Might be good to point out to NYC that the 555s are drag radials. That means they have less then half the tread of a normal tire, and the life expectancy is around 8,000 - 10,000 miles.

Dave

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Dose anyone know what is the widest tire you can get with out any alterantion to stock equipment?
On stock rims, I don't think you can put on anything much wider than 285s on the rear.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Might be good to point out to NYC that the 555s are drag radials. That means they have less then half the tread of a normal tire, and the life expectancy is around 8,000 - 10,000 miles.

Dave
Yes, good point. Since I don't put many miles on Shelby, I'm less concerned about tire life.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Dose anyone know what is the widest tire you can get with out any alterantion to stock equipment?
I've heard of people physically fitting a 305 on the stock rim, but many companies don't advise it. My experience as an alignment tech was that when you did this, you were essentially "bowing" the tire and it would wear more in the middle. Perhaps some people have done this successfully...so I'm not saying 100% of the time it will cause problems...but be aware of it.

This is one of those areas where there are shades of gray....and a lot of factors such as the "shape" of the tire (some are more rounded on the corners of the tread) as well as the rim offset/backspacing, etc.

Dave

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

Dave
At the rate I'm going, that's not much worse than the stock F1s!

TD

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
I went out to forums to read about tires for the Shelby and getting traction. And here is what I have learned just from reading none of this is because I have used them. Nitto 555 hook up in the beginning but after a few thousand miles they get greasy. Invo does not make them in our size 285/40/18 but would be a nice tire to try, BFgoodrich only has the KDW that fit out tires but allot complain about road noise with the tires but go on to say they stick to the road, Drag Radials stick like glue but have no mileage to them and not designed to rip around turns because they have a soft side wall. I called Nitto about the drag radial and the guy told me that the tires are great to have on a set of rims put on and drive to the drag strip but if you are going to drive the car around normally he did not recommend for everyday use. I have read that the BF KD are great but they don't make them in our size. :( There is other brand tires but some of them cost almost to $ 400.00 which I would rather not pay per tire. :boohoo:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts