Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new GT500 owner, I bought this car 1st for the performance and the fact that it is a unique car “an instant classic”. I was tired of owning a car that depreciated 50% in the first 2 years of ownership. Gas prices are everyone’s concern, thankfully I don't drive my car everyday and I live in a city with good public transportation to take me to and from work daily. I do enjoy my ride on weekends. Just wanted to see some diffrent opinions about your thoughts of the value of your GT500 in the next 5 to 10 years. Do you think its going to hold its value as a classic despite of the fact that gas prices are going through the roof? It just seesm to me that these gas comapnies have all of us by the nads...

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I think the Shelby will hold it's value pretty well. I think my KBB value is still over $60K which is significantly more than what I paid for it. Will it increase in value? Probably, but not for 30 or 40 years. Is this car a good investment? No. If you want an investment, put your money into a good mutual fund. Is the Shelby more fun than a mutual fund? Hell Yes!

·
Registered
382 Posts
This car will take you back to the 70s but it won't make you wealthy......

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think Joegaz and GT07 are missing the point I am not saying we are going to be wealthy owning a car. "Do you think it going to hold its value?" was the closing question in my thread. In other words, is this thing going to tank in value like every other car especially with rising gas prices, I was only looking for an opinion , THANKS...

·
Registered
382 Posts
I don't think the value will decrease based on fuel costs. I have been in the automotive business for over 35 years and I have watched gas prices and shortages effect larger non specialty vehicles tank hard, but I have never seen specialty or exotic vehicles follow in that type of scenario.
Having said that, you could see the sale of a particular vehicle lag but not likely to plummet. Hope that helps a little
joe

·
Registered
151 Posts
I think Joegaz and GT07 are missing the point I am not saying we are going to be wealthy owning a car. "Do you think it going to hold its value?" was the closing question in my thread. In other words, is this thing going to tank in value like every other car especially with rising gas prices, I was only looking for an opinion , THANKS...
In my opinion, if Ford continues to make & sell the Shelby GT500 over the next few years, to where the demand is no longer in excess of the supply, the car will not hold its value and will subsequently drop in value . :simmadown:

·
Registered
645 Posts
My car will hold it's value. Of this I am certain.

As long as my lungs take in air, and expel CO2, this car will be priceless.

To me.

And that's all that counts as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
109 Posts
We're on the verge of a revolution in the car business, the likes of which we haven't seen before. Between the rising cost of gasoline and the government's 35-mpg mandate, the apple cart has been rudely and totally upset. If you're old enough to remember 1974, you know the feeling. The only difference is that we now have enough of a grasp of alternative fuels that we aren't going to be in the dire straits that we were in in 1974.

What this is going to do to the value of our GT500s is anyone's guess. If 91 octane fuel approaches the $5.00 per gallon mark, these cars are going to be very expensive to operate. One thing that has surprised me since I have been on this board is the number of GT500 owners who use their car for a daily driver. It's much higher than I expected. While it's true that if you can afford a GT500 you're probably not as concerned about gas prices as much as the average Joe, it still has to have an effect. At least on your mindset, if not on your wallet.

I think the GT500s will fall into 2 categories as far as resale and holding their value. The first category is the ones who only drive the car on weekends and use it strictly as a pleasure car. In 5 years, or 10 years, they will be very nice, low-mileage cars. Those cars, while I don't believe they will bring a huge premium, will hold their value better than average. The other category, those cars that are daily drivers, will not fare as well. In 10 years, a high-mileage, slightly-rough-around-the-edges GT500 will not be worth much more than a garden-variety Mustang, in terms of percentage of original value. The reason is twofold: people looking for a daily driver will shun the car because of the poor fuel mileage and the fact that it takes premium fuel. The other reason is that collectors are going to hold out for the pristine cars and will not be buying the average cars. There will be a few buyers in the middle ground between those two scenarios, but not many.

So you as a new owner have a decision to make. Do you treat the car as a garage queen, never driving it? Do you use the car as a DD and have no regard for resale value? Or do you fall somewhere in between? The answer to that question shouldn't be based on money. Sure, if you have a boatload of money and little automotive passion, then let the Shelby sit in a bubble in the garage (or warehouse, probably). And if you bought the car solely for that purpose, I feel sorry for you.

Yeah, maybe by some stroke of luck these cars might be worth a lot of money at a BJ auction in 25 or 30 years. If that's the case, then I'll be a happy camper. But that's a risky scenario at best.

The thing, at least in my estimation, to do is to drive the car as much as you want to drive it. Give it the best of care and keep it as nice as possible. And then let the chips fall where they may. Me, I've wanted a Shelby Mustang since I saw my first one in 1969. I finally got it. I have a company car, so it's not my DD. I plan to pamper it, keep it pristine, and give it a very good home. But I also plan on driving it, too. That's why I bought it in the first place.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
My car will hold it's value. Of this I am certain.

As long as my lungs take in air, and expel CO2, this car will be priceless.

To me.

And that's all that counts as far as I'm concerned.
+1,000

Whoever dies last between the first lady and I is going to be buried in it. I have a feeling the first lady has been plotting something behind my back.

·
Registered
645 Posts
+1,000

Whoever dies last between the first lady and I is going to be buried in it. I have a feeling the first lady has been plotting something behind my back.
I can't comment on that.

She asked me not to.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
In my opinion, if Ford continues to make & sell the Shelby GT500 over the next few years, to where the demand is no longer in excess of the supply, the car will not hold its value and will subsequently drop in value . :simmadown:
BINGO!!!!!!!.....thay will make too many units an steel the benny of this car from us and the US market .....Greed......per-say..."Why help others when you can just help your self".....That always comes back to bite you....and there no exception....Live on ....I have mine and could cair less ...I have this car for me and my fam...Nothing more.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think the Shelby will hold it's value pretty well. I think my KBB value is still over $60K which is significantly more than what I paid for it. Will it increase in value?
I'm going to jump in here. It has nothing to do directly with the comment of rpretzel so don't get yer dander up. I don't see the cars increasing in value, even with the limited production OR a new set of 60's type baby boomers cloned in about 30 years.

I decided to look into the value of my 2007 GT500. I like the car, I drive it and do not intend to part with it. What I did was to call a friend who is a Fleet Manager for a large Arizona dealersip (not a Ford shop). What we did was to go on-line and look at the Mannheim Auction list. I was surprised at what I found.

Since January of 2008, the non-public auctions for GT500's showed less than 20 auctions. I say less than because a few of the auctions were listed as 'factory" auctions. My guess is those must have been test cars or something like that. Maybe Fred knows.

That's actually a good number because it shows the GT500's are not being repossessed and dumped at auction or they are not being traded to dealers in high numbers.

The low auction price was 28k for a car with roughly 35,000 miles. The highest auction price we could find was 38k for a Torch Red with less than 1,000 miles.

While I realize the non-public auctions do not dictate the price of private party sales (the reason for the KBB pricing), it does indicate the price dealers are paying wholesale for their cars.

The next thing I did was to shop the car (07, stock, Torch Red, 4,500 miles) with four dealerships (new car). One was a Ford Dealer, two were Chevrolet dealers and the third was a very high end type dealer (won't mention their name because they are exclusive to their brand and it was not my intention to do them harm by seeking pricing).

The highest I was quoted was $ 38,000.00, and that was if I was to trade in the GT500 for a car costing over $ 125,000.00. The lowest was from a Ford dealer. That dealer offered $ 32,000.00, but again, only on a trade on a new car. BOTH Chevy dealers declined to bid, telling me the GT500 was too exclusive a car to have on their lot. One told me they felt it would sit around too long waiting for the right buyer.

I realize this was not a scientific analysis of market pricing but it did confirm what I have felt for some time. The real value of our GT500's is either to ourselves or to another person with similar interests. I guess we all knew that anyway.

However, remember that objects in mirror are closer than they appear and drive the Shelby like you stole it. I have two speeding tickets in it already to prove that RED Shelby's are the fastest! OR, in an alternate universe, Red GT500's 'attract' 23 GHz microwave signals and 1350 nanometer Laser beams, thereby rendering them defenseless to attack by the Emperors Knights. :clap:

·
Registered
359 Posts
It will maintain its value over the years :roller: much better than most.

·
Registered
164 Posts
We all love our cars in this forum. I don't think that one of us is a collector here, while Grabber may be the only one with a bubble for his car (or at least the only one to admit it) I think most of us drive the car. Some more than others but we enjoy them non the less. I love Shelby's thanks to my father and I plan on selling a kidney and any other spare organs before the car, who knows if my kids will love the car the way I do or appreciate it the same way and who knows they might make some money selling that car in 40 years. All I know is that I love :pinklove: my car and like others here have said she is priceless to me.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
We all love our cars in this forum. I don't think that one of us is a collector here, while Grabber may be the only one with a bubble for his car (or at least the only one to admit it) I think most of us drive the car. Some more than others but we enjoy them non the less. I love Shelby's thanks to my father and I plan on selling a kidney and any other spare organs before the car, who knows if my kids will love the car the way I do or appreciate it the same way and who knows they might make some money selling that car in 40 years. All I know is that I love :pinklove: my car and like others here have said she is priceless to me.

Pickin on bubble boy again.:ninja:

I know 4 people on the forum with the infamous bubble.:)

I also know of a Super mod that has a condom on his car like me.:lol:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I didn't buy 08 vert expecting to make money on it, nor do I think I will ever get back what I will spend on it. Thats why I waited untill I found the deal I was looking for. (3k under MSRP) I am going to drive it & enjoy it untill I want to sell it, if I ever do. And whatever that next person pays for it is what its going to be worth.

·
Registered
106 Posts
These cars are just a blast to drive. Driving out on the road is so effortless because you are able get up to (and past) speed of traffic so quickly. For me that's just darn cool!
As for the value over time who knows. I remember the original Shelbys, Bosses, etc. depreciated significantly during the original gas crisis in the 70's, but look at them now. Will these cars do the same thing? Who knows.
The fun and the value of the car to me is to get behind the wheel whenever possible.
Today I got 20.3 MPG on the road with the cruise set between 75-80. That's unbelievable when compared to the original cars that got about half that.
Bottom line, I'm gonna drive mine whenever possible and let the future take care of itself. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts