Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
While I am at it. I visited the doctor today for a check up. A office visit is 80 dollars more if you have insurance vs no insurance. When I asked why they said they offer a discount for people without insurance. Not sure how that is legal but it is. I said “isn’t the purpose of paying for insurance to reduce your cost when you do go to the doctor”. The reply was “if you meet your deductible then you will save some money”. Conclusion: if you have insurance you pay not only for the insurance but you also get charged more. If you meet your deductible then you can take a discount off of a falsely inflated price to lower it closer to what it would have been without insurance. The only time you might theoretically win is if you were very sick. However, medical bills can’t be used against you so just let them pile up until you die. This crap is so broken it’s not even possible to understand how it got this way anymore.
This has been true for ever. If you pay in cash at time of service it is always cheaper. Now the reason.

When you go to the doctors office and you look into an office with ten people sitting there not having anything to do with patient care, did you ever wonder what they where doing? Well they are filling out insurance forms making sure all the t are crossed and the i dotted. because the insurance company will not pay a claim if something is not done correctly. Then they have to correct code for the care the patient received, if it is wrong they will not get paid. It ost a lot to have ten people on the books, so they charge more for the insurance claims. If you walk in and pay with CC or cash they give you a discount because the ten people don't have to do anything to get your part of the money.

There I hope that makes sense.

·
Banned
9,880 Posts
This has been true for ever. If you pay in cash at time of service it is always cheaper. Now the reason.

When you go to the doctors office and you look into an office with ten people sitting there not having anything to do with patient care, did you ever wonder what they where doing? Well they are filling out insurance forms making sure all the t are crossed and the i dotted. because the insurance company will not pay a claim if something is not done correctly. Then they have to correct code for the care the patient received, if it is wrong they will not get paid. It ost a lot to have ten people on the books, so they charge more for the insurance claims. If you walk in and pay with CC or cash they give you a discount because the ten people don't have to do anything to get your part of the money.

Tell me about it. Last year went to have a CT scan done on my hand. Hospital, doctor, everyone filled out form right and got paid. The radiology place that did the reading got my name wrong and it got kicked back, twice even after the insurance told them what was wrong. They had my insurance card with name on it so how they got it wrong is beyond me. Anyway they then sent me the bill. After going around and around with the radiology and insurance company they turned it over to collection agency after only two months. So I ended up paying the bill and tried for a year to get reimbursed for the payment since they screwed up. Finally had to get the state attorney general involved to finally get paid back. What a nightmare and luckily it was not a big bill.

·
Registered
350 Posts

I guess my beef with that is the doctor chooses to accept insurance. He does this because it vastly increases the number of patients that walk through his door. So he has already received a form of compensation for agreeing to do all the necessary things the insurance company required. I stand firm in my feeling that it is unethical to charge more for insurance procedures vs no insurance. That same doctor would have to charge the cash customer more to keep the lights on if he did not have the revenue from the insured patients. The system is broken. The doctor can’t get patients unless he agrees to accept insurance. This gives the insurance company a lot of power that belongs in the physicians hands not the insurance. Both party’s are part of a dysfunctional codependency. Since the insurance company now gets to set the pricing structure and the allowed treatments the doctors hands are tied. The only way to make this fair would be to put the power back into the hands of the doctor and force the insurance company to restructure their coverage accordingly.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
.....or maybe live in a country where healthcare isn't a privilege but a right. Not popular thought here I'm sure.

·
Banned
376 Posts
.....or maybe live in a country where healthcare isn't a privilege but a right. Not popular thought here I'm sure.
Bye.......

The problem in this country is that people demand executive level service for walmart pricing. Besides, you do have a right to unlimited healthcare in this country, but you have to serve in the military.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Bye.......

The problem in this country is that people demand executive level service for walmart pricing. Besides, you do have a right to unlimited healthcare in this country, but you have to serve in the military.
Been there, done that, got the DD214, Honorable Discharge of Service signed document, and a couple of old OD green field jackets too. I am sure you do too....... right?

·
Banned
376 Posts
Been there, done that, got the DD214, Honorable Discharge of Service signed document, and a couple of old OD green field jackets too. I am sure you do too....... right?
I did not serve and appreciate those who do and have. You've earned the right to government supplied health care for life. What you haven't earned is the right to demand that the rest of us settle for that.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I did not serve and appreciate those who do and have. You've earned the right to government supplied health care for life. What you haven't earned is the right to demand that the rest of us settle for that.
You apparently don't understand the First Amendment. As US citizens we can all demand what we want, but have to settle for what we get. So please, go out and earn your "life time" insurance.

:wink:

·
Banned
376 Posts
You apparently don't understand the First Amendment. As US citizens we can all demand what we want, but have to settle for what we get. So please, go out and earn your "life time" insurance.

:wink:
Well let me know when healthcare becomes a right in the US, I'll wait. Have a great day!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Hey, what you know? Your wait is over! Enjoy your Medicare and Medicaid! BTW, I wouldn't recommend the Opioid's though...........

·
Registered
350 Posts
Might be nice if that was around when I retire especially since it’s another service I paid full price for but will have to pay even more for it if I get to use it. Because I’m responsible and have worked since I was old enough to get a job that withheld taxes. Medicaid is much better coverage than Medicare but you guessed it... if you worked you don’t get that you get Medicare. My financial advisor estimated the additional expense associated with Medicare in 15 years when I retire will be 2500 out of pocket per month. This is your reward for payroll taxes over a working lifetime. In addition plan on only getting 75 percent of you social security 15 years from now and expect that to tapper off to 0 before I die. If I had put all that money in a conservative investment starting with my first paycheck I could have stopped working by now and would never have to worry about money again. It would be between 5-12 million if it was all invested in the stock market and earned historical returns with compound interest. I’m not saying I know how to fix health care I am just saying the government either needs to do it or get their hands out of it and just return the money to the people who have paid into the system.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Might be nice if that was around when I retire especially since it’s another service I paid full price for but will have to pay even more for it if I get to use it. Because I’m responsible and have worked since I was old enough to get a job that withheld taxes. Medicaid is much better coverage than Medicare but you guessed it... if you worked you don’t get that you get Medicare. My financial advisor estimated the additional expense associated with Medicare in 15 years when I retire will be 2500 out of pocket per month. This is your reward for payroll taxes over a working lifetime. In addition plan on only getting 75 percent of you social security 15 years from now and expect that to tapper off to 0 before I die. If I had put all that money in a conservative investment starting with my first paycheck I could have stopped working by now and would never have to worry about money again. It would be between 5-12 million if it was all invested in the stock market and earned historical returns with compound interest. I’m not saying I know how to fix health care I am just saying the government either needs to do it or get their hands out of it and just return the money to the people who have paid into the system.
I hear you.... Unfortunately, I am not sure if any method can keep up with the cost of medical care. The average citizen may not be able to afford it no matter how much money they save or benefits they have with the way costs are going.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
All kinds of information is coming out now -those of you that watch MSNBC and CNN are probably unaware! Too many swamp creatures still in positions in the DOJ, will be interesting to see, who ends up killing themselves, (anything Clinton related), and if any of this really produces some prosecution.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Yea, can you believe the buttheads over there? Look what they are showing now.... They just wont give up will they?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts